• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Behaviours That Should Possibly Be Banned?

Hey Hey

Mouseketeer
With the recent banning of the selfie sticks, I am curious to know what you think about people placing children on their shoulders and standing up during the fireworks and other shows when people are trying to enjoy that experience?

I would think that would be a safety issue as well as diminishing the experience of others trying to watch those shows.

So why hasn't Disney addressed that issue or have they?

Last edited:
Imo...you can't ban rudeness
That's true. But I would think it is a safety issue. I mean if I had a child on my shoulders and I moved slightly or someone bumped into me, it's possible I could trip and drop the child. From experience I know that it can get quite crowded during wishes.

The whole idea about the selfie sticks is a safety issue (which is understandable) and possibly ruining the experience for others.

Children on shoulders would be a challenge to enforce.

Plus the fireworks are in the sky. I have a hard time understanding why this is an issue. We aren't guaranteed a perfect unobstructed view anyway. There will always be people in our line of vision. At my height, the 6 foot plus tall person would be blocking my view if they stood directly in front if me.

(I am physically incapable of placing a child on my shoulders. I am just offering why it isn't banned.)

All day long someone will be walking through the parks doing this. So it would need to be enforced all day long.

That's true. But I would think it is a safety issue. I mean if I had a child on my shoulders and I moved slightly or someone bumped into me, it's possible I could trip and drop the child. From experience I know that it can get quite crowded during wishes.

The whole idea about the selfie sticks is a safety issue (which is understandable) and possibly ruining the experience for others.
It is possible when simply carrying a child as well. Do we ban all carrying?

If they had the documentation that it was more hazardous based on reports of injury, I suppose they could.

I think that the selfie stick was more than safety. I'm sure it has to do with Disney's bottom line somehow. Maybe it takes away from the memorymaker sales or something.

Things can't be banned because they are inconsiderate to others or inconvenient. Anything can be dangerous. If someone is standing in front with a kid on their shoulders, there are two options.. you can talk to the person and tell them you can't see or you can move. Maybe the child can't see because there is a six foot tall person in front of them . Should tall people be banned?

I
I think that the selfie stick was more than safety. I'm sure it has to do with Disney's bottom line somehow. Maybe it takes away from the memorymaker sales or something.

Things can't be banned because they are inconsiderate to others or inconvenient. Anything can be dangerous. If someone is standing in front with a kid on their shoulders, there are two options.. you can talk to the person and tell them you can't see or you can move. Maybe the child can't see because there is a six foot tall person in front of them . Should tall people be banned?

I agree you can talk to the person if they are close to you. However, I have been in the situation where the person with the child on there shoulder is six feet in front of me and there is no room to move to get a good vantage point. The only possible solution is if everyone on the street or edge of the sidewalk sat down. That way you could have a better view of the castle and the fireworks. And if the child is small enough they could maybe stand with the help of their parent. At least then I think you could get a better view.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, Universal Studios hasn't banned the selfie stick at least in the park while off rides.

Last edited:
Selfie sticks were banned because of the danger of guest using them on rides. A simple request to not use them while on rides was too hard to follow for those that think everything is about them. The ban didn't have anything to do with them using them during fireworks so since parents aren't putting kids on their shoulders during rides, I don't see Disney banning that or guest holding their ipads or phones up blocking others views. But it would be kind of nice if only during parades and fireworks.

Children on shoulders would be a challenge to enforce.

Plus the fireworks are in the sky. I have a hard time understanding why this is an issue. We aren't guaranteed a perfect unobstructed view anyway. There will always be people in our line of vision. At my height, the 6 foot plus tall person would be blocking my view if they stood directly in front if me.

(I am physically incapable of placing a child on my shoulders. I am just offering why it isn't banned.)

All day long someone will be walking through the parks doing this. So it would need to be enforced all day long.
I disagree. Cast members have no problem telling people to put away their video cameras way during shows. All they would need to do is have an announcement before the show starts to ask everyone in the street or the edge of the sidewalks to sit down and for safety reasons and the enjoyment of others to not place children on their shoulders. Then if it does happen a cast member can go to the parent to ask them not to do it.

If they had the documentation that it was more hazardous based on reports of injury, I suppose they could.
I think maybe you are on to something. Maybe too many people were being injured with the selfie sticks just walking around and people complained.

What is the safety issue? I have never in my lifetime seen anyone drop their kid off their shoulders. I'm sure it has happened...but I think it's more of an inconvenience ..

I think carrying a child you have more control then when having them on your shoulder. If I am carry a child they are actually resting against my body with my arms holding them. When they are on my shoulders I only have my hands holding them, plus they can be top heavy. Not saying it should or should not be banned, but it certainly is a safety issue.

What is the safety issue? I have never in my lifetime seen anyone drop their kid off their shoulders. I'm sure it has happened...but I think it's more of an inconvenience ..
Well, for some I'm guessing that their attention isn't fully on their surroundings when balancing a child on their shoulders, and an inconvienience for those around them trying to navigate around them in a busy park and when watching shows.

and standing up during the fireworks

I would think that would be a safety issue

I think that *sitting* during fireworks is a safety issue!

Also, correct me if I am wrong, Universal Studios hasn't banned the selfie stick at least in the park while off rides.

But they have the lockers on the rides that people were using them on; WDW lets people bring stuff on all rides so they don't have that "infrastructure" in place. And I'm not actually sure how far the ban has gone there.

I've seen kids get banged into low doorways.

If you can get your kid to your shoulders and keep them there, you can get your kid on your back with legs wrapped around the waist piggyback style. That puts their heads at shoulder level. (unless they are very young, in which case you can hold them on your hip, darnit) That way they can see almost like you can. And it doesn't create a giant.

I am massively against shoulder-carrying. One time I went off with my brother to ride something and when I came back to find DH and DS I saw DS on DH's shoulders. AUGHHHHH. That ended quickly. DH is a big guy to begin with and for him to make himself very very tall on top of it was just NOT fair to those behind him.

Not saying it should or should not be banned, but it certainly is a safety issue.
But you did say in the title of the thread that you wanted to discuss things that should be banned. I've seen a lot of threads on this board about behaviors that annoy the crap out of other guests. And I've seen a few threads about behaviors that might be considered dangerous. I've seen the "child on shoulders" example consistently in the former. Never in the latter, until now. Claiming this is primarily a safety issue is a stretch. You're really reaching, here.Multiple threads about injuries incurred from people being rammed by strollers and ECVs.; but I've yet to see one of a child being injured because his dad dropped him.

But let's say, for arguments sake, that some injuries have occurred. How are you going to enforce it? Ten thousand people standing Bs to Ns on Mainstreet for Wishes- how do you expect to get CM's into the crowd to deal with it? And if the dad tells them to bugger off? Then what? Is Disney supposed to have CPS on speed dial every night? I don't think so.

As a PP said- you can't police rudeness or discourtesy. Sometimes, though, you can speak up for yourself, instead of having somebody else do your work for you.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter