Before buying VGF direct, am I making a mistake?

fuernj

Earning My Ears
I've done as much homework as possible and despite knowing that buying resale seems to be right for most people, I've convinced myself that I'm actually better off buying direct. I'm hoping others can review my logic and tell me if I'm missing anything.

First, let me explain how my family plans on using our DVC membership. We are big fans of the Grand Floridian and am only interested in staying at the Villas at the Grand Floridian. Obviously, that would be our home resort. Our two kids are in their 20s (not yet married and no grandkids yet). Our plan is for my wife and I and each of our two kids to get a few nights each year or so at VGF. Because no trip will be for more than 4 people, for the next 5 years or so, we want a studio. While we may not go every year, my wife and I love going in early December for the holiday season. Ensuring that we will be able to get the week we want in a studio at VGF is a big deal for us. We wouldn't want to compromise by staying somewhere else, having to bump up to a One Bedroom (and waste points) or not go at all. Over time, as my kids get older and have their own kids, we may do an occasional big family trip and do a 2 bedroom once every 2 or 3 years. Eventually, the plan would be to give each of our kids roughly half of our DVC membership in our wills. Being able to retain RCI, Concierge Collection, etc. is not a factor for us in buying direct.

Our solution - We plan on buying a fixed week studio for early December plus an additional 100 points. That way, my wife and I would be guaranteed our Christmas week in a studio at VGF. We wouldn't use it every year, but we'll have it when we do want it; no questions asked. By having the fixed week contract plus the 100 point contract, I get all the points I need for my expected uses (knowing I may need to do some banking and borrowing every now and then and surrendering the fixed week), all with the same December use year. And, when the time comes I can give one kid the fixed week and the other the 100 points with no issues. That's not exactly a 50/50 split but I can always add points to the contract down the road if I want to.

Even though I see the savings buying resale, I just don't see away of doing that and still getting EXACTLY what I want. I suppose I could wait and hope that a fixed week contract for the week I want comes available, but the odds are against it. Plus, I like the simplicity of having everything in a single contract. I've heard that moving points between two different resale contracts is hard. DVC trip planning is hard enough without adding more complexity. I've already seen how hard it is to get VGF for Food and Wine if you don't book exactly 11 months out so juggling multiple resale contracts is not a good plan. Lastly, the ability to give a contract to each kid at some point is also important.

Do others agree? Is there a way for me to scratch every itch and still buy resale? Papers for buying direct are on their way buy I haven't paid anything yet so I can still change my mind but time is running out. Thanks to all for your response.

If December is when you travel, obtaining a FW before the resort sells out seems logical. At a minimum, that should be a direct purchase. I don't think the few dollars per point you would save from resale are worth not getting exactly what you want.

Best of luck in your purchases!

If you don't like vacationing in the heat I would buy an Oct UY for vacations between Oct and May. That way you can maybe do Thanksgiving with your points or Flower and Garden.

Don't count on the kids, they may go their own way next week.

I wouldn't plan on leaving them contracts either. What if they hate Disney later, their partners hate Disney, they move to another country. You are talking a long way off and who knows, you may sell before then.

We own 6 resorts including a fixed week at VGF, for the 2 of us, we always stay in a 1 bedroom.

Food for thought.

:earsboy: Bill

Have you verified that DVC still has fixed weeks in December? I've read that although they didn't sell out of all the fixed weeks, they did sell the most in Dec..
Second, will your 20 something children have grandchildren in school when they inherit and thus be unable to take early December vacations?
I agree that if you want a studio at VGF in early December you need to own there.
Have you stayed in a studio at the GF? It's a big chunk of change to buy 200+ points at the GF, I'd consider a 'test drive', if it fits you can always buy that trip and make some DVC salesman's day:)

If I was sure I wanted a studio at VGF for December I would definitely do it as a fixed week as availability in December is so low.

Given what you posted, resale really isn't an option for you - there just aren't many VGF resales available yet and it is virtually certain you'll be waiting - and waiting and waiting for an early December fixed week to hit the resale market. :)

Nothing wrong with buying direct to get exactly what you want, and that's especially true if you can't get it in a reasonable amount of time via resale.

Good luck - hope you can get DVD to sell you the fixed week you prefer. I also thought they may have stopped selling December fixed weeks, but you never know until you ask.

I like the first two weeks of december (weeks 48 and 49 on the fixed week calendar)

I regret NOT buying a fixed week. So much so, that if I were not looking to add other resorts via resale for more options, I would see my VGF and buy a new one for a fixed week.

I agree that for the time of year and wanting to stay in a studio, I would buy directly from Disney. Right now the resale market is only saving about $20-$25 per point and I don't think it is worth the savings to not get what you want. Plus you might have a long wait for a fixed week in December on the resale market. Good luck!

I agree that direct is appropriate for you, and the fixed week is the best idea. I'm not sure that you need the extra 100 points, though. Since you won't be going every year, when you cancel the fixed week and bank those points, will you have enough for your larger trip?

I'm about the last person on the planet who would tell someone to buy directly from Disney. In this case, even I think that buying a fixed early December week is a good idea given your parameters. As of the most recent sales update, there are still fixed weeks available at any time of the year in any accommodation type, but that might have changed. I would not wait.

http://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-pr...27-monthly-sales-up-slightly-in-december-2014

However, I would *not* buy the additional 100 points right now. It does not sound like you need those additional points anytime in the next several years, and in the meantime the resale market will mature giving more of a spread between retail and resale---plus you will not have the burden of renting out those points in the interim.

Do not worry about what you will leave your kids today. As noted above, a lot can change between now and then, and they might not want (or be in a position to use) them. See how their families and travel preferences evolve over time.

Our plan is for my wife and I and each of our two kids to get a few nights each year or so at VGF. . . . .

If you will really be staying a week each year, then a fixed week might be worth it if one is available.* However in your post you mention that your family will travel to WDW for a few days each year for a number of years. If you only plan to go for 3 or 4 nights a year, then you are spending a lot of money for a room for nights you will not be using.

Per wdrl, none of the December weeks have reached the 35% maximum for a studio. However, we don't know if DVC can sell a fixed week if the week in December 2015 is already booked all of the studios for that week with points. A fixed week contract guarantees the villa for your week and if the rooms are booked they can't very well guarantee it.

I am not sure why you need the extra 100 points now though. It sounds like you could wait to buy those points at a later date.

My only comment is have you ever stayed in a studio with two other adults? I am ok in a studio if it is just my husband and me, but if our three children come along we get a two bedroom as a studio is not that big. Four people, tiny space, one bathroom would be a no go with us.

Our kids are now early and mid twenties. One likes Disney, one hates Disney, and one is just ok with it. We own BVW and VWL as 2042 means we hopefully will not be leaving them with any points to deal with. If someday they have grandkids and want points I will contribute to a newer resort at that time for them. Don't want to saddle them with something they have no desire to own.

I do think buying a fixed week makes sense for you. Just really think if a studio is the way to go.

Per wdrl, none of the December weeks have reached the 35% maximum for a studio. However, we don't know if DVC can sell a fixed week if the week in December 2015 is already booked all of the studios for that week with points. A fixed week contract guarantees the villa for your week and if the rooms are booked they can't very well guarantee it.

I asked about this, and I was told that you would get the points for that year. So if you buy a fixed week for December (which I am sure is already booked) you will get the points for this year, and your guaranteed week in 2016.

Look around on the boards, and see people who got shut out in December right at 8:00 on the 11 month mark.

If your intent is early December at the VGF, you all but need a fixed week, or you have better have a plan B.

I'm with DisneyBuckeye, at a minimum I would get a 1BR fixed week. The studio seems too small for my little family of 3, one of whom is a pre-schooler. I couldn't imagine 4 adults in the studio, with one probably sleeping on the under-tv trundle. Once you buy a fixed week studio, you'll have to "cancel" the reservation if you decide to bump up to a 1BR, then you're back where you started with having to call book at 11 months out.

If you are interested and leaning in the direction of buying a fixed week, yes I believe you are making a good decision to purchase the FW before the resort sells out. To me your logic makes perfect sense.

The following comment is just food for thought. But, something I didn't think about until long after I bought at DVC. One thing you might want to think about is how you will evenly break up your VGF contracts for your kids - later in life (or if you think you will leave the contracts to them in your Will). If you are going to buy 1 fixed week and 100 points, would you consider buying two fixed weeks? Just a thought since you can always cancel (or rent) the week you aren't using and then you would still either have the money from the rental or the points to use at alternate times.

Good luck with your decision. I love the VGF. I own there too!

Given your requirements I would go with the fixed week direct from Disney. It seems like the majority of VGF owners are all trying to get into a studio in December.

4 adults in a room would be a little two crowded for my tastes, especially 2 adults on a hide-a-bed.

Good luck with your decision.

at a minimum I would get a 1BR fixed week. The studio seems too small for my little family of 3, one of whom is a pre-schooler.
I'll admit that the minimum size we think about for our family of four (parents plus DD16 and DS14) is a 2BR. But, I know a *lot* of people disagree with me.

We recently purchased with the intent of staying in studios. We had our first stay last weekend, and we just decided that we would really prefer the extra space and privacy that a one bedroom provides. We are a family of four (children are 6 and 8). In the studio there was really not much space to eat in the room, no table that seated four, etc. We actually came home the day after our trip and put an offer on a new contract to almost double the number of points we have. We CAN fit in a studio, but the one bedroom is much more comfortable. Give serious consideration to room size. Have you physically toured a studio and one bedroom?

It's simple a numbers game. While direct is $160/point, I think VGF resale is about $145/point. If you can get loaded resale contract then u save. If you don't, then u must consider that direct buy will probably come with last year's points with no additional maintenance fees. If you rented those points at $15/point, then there is no benefit to resale.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter