• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bees at Castaway Cay

jollymon2

Mouseketeer
Hey all, going on my first Disney cruise in two weeks and have a quick question. I am alergic to bee stings and will obviously have my epi pens with me, but I was just wondering how prevalent bees may be on the island. If anyone has any insight I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Now that you mention it,we've been there 3 times and never seen one. But that doesn't mean they aren't there! There are a lot very pretty flowers on the island.

I am also allergic to bees, so seeing bees on Castaway is something I would remember. We were there last October, and I definitely didn't any stinging insects. I wonder if that might vary by season a bit.

I'm allergic too. Been there 4 times, ran the 5K through the back areas and never saw a bee (but packed my epi pen just in case).

Now now for sure! I was just there last Friday. A lot of people prefer hotter weather than you get in January, but one thing is for sure, it is the "low season" for bugs. We did not see one single insect our entire trip. :-)

Personally, I have never seen a bee on CC, however, that doesn't mean they aren't there.

I did, however, do a quick google search and found a study by Elmira College catalogueing the insect species of the Bahamas (including Abaco which is near CC) and I did not see any types of bees listed as being found there. There were a few wasp species but still not a guarantee that there are no bees there. The link is below:

http://bio2.elmira.edu/bahamas/

If you want to find the bees/wasps, just search for 'Hymenoptera' in the search field and it will bring up a table.

We usually go in Aug. and don't recall ever seeing a bee. My DH is deathly allergic to bee stings.

We went in December and I don't recall any biting insects at all. The only time I got bit was in Cozumel when we went to the Tuluum ruins. Mosquitos... argh.

I think Disney trains the insects on Castaway Cay to be gentle with the crazy humans. :rotfl2:

I think Disney trains the insects on Castaway Cay to be gentle with the crazy humans. :rotfl2:

Leave it to Disney! :)

I am a bug magnet and haven't noticed any insects on CC. I don't know what Disney does but they are terrific with bug control.

Didn't see any bees. I did see some wasps (hornets?) near a garbage can. Send someone else to throw your garbage out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter