Been here for a week - less characters visible

Tiger926

DIS Veteran
We have been pleasantly surprised at the low crowds and cooler weather (although that ended 2 days ago as it's been very hot!) this past week, but very disappointed in the lack of characters.

Since we've been coming for 2 weeks each July for 10 years now, and are used to lots of characters, we noticed an absence of characters at all parks by the 1st day.

Not only that, but there are whole periods where characters are on breaks - so guests are just wandering around, and waiting on characters. But, because there are less characters than normal, the lines are outrageous. Plus, they seem to be staying out for shorter periods. After hearing for the 10th time by day 2, that we just let in the last family, so xxx will be back later, my DD almost lost it! She kept saying how we had bad luck for characters this year, and she hopes other little kids have better luck in meeting characters than we have. We've also noticed no special or hard to find characters either, although we did see Brer Bear and Brer Fox the other day, but again, we had just missed them.

At MK, I can understand due to the construction having less characters, but AK, DHS and Epcot should not. We can't believe how many characters are lacking from World Showcase, as well as at DHS. Didn't see 1 character at sorcerer's hat at all on Wed. and we were there the entire day!

Obviously this is part of Disney's cost cutting measures, but as park veterans, we have noticed. As DVC members we have met lots of characters, and always have lots of character meals planned, but for first timers who may not be able to do so, they surely will be disappointed.

Just wanted to mention this to those of you coming soon - we are here for another 4 days and then off to Vero Beach.

Tiger :(

If you are going to DHS on a non-Fantasmic day, then be IN the Animation Building at 4:45. You'll be ..... shall we say..... pleasantly surprised!

There are a couple of other random character spots where you can find clusters of characters. One is in AK down from FOTLK where the Pocohontas show used to be. I think they even have her out for a while doing some storytelling or something.

I'm sure someone will chime in here momentarily with link to one of the great character sites........

If you are looking for someone specific, then ask any CM with a phone (like in a shop) to call the character hotline. No hunting, they will tell you when and where.

If they tell you a line is closing, then ask what time they will be back. Be there a bit ahead of that time.

Some lines are just always like that. Wanna see the fairies? Be at TT rope drop by 9:30 for the 9:45 opening. The line never lets up, so be early.

I hear Tiana has been like that too.

I have had trips like that where it seems we always just miss. I remember being let into line to see Aurora at DL once, waited the entire line, only to have her need to leave with us and one other group left standing. Her handler felt so bad for us! But we did finally find her. Once you get the time and get there early, you're good. Most just wander around looking for the line. If you know where the line is going to be, you're good! :thumbsup2

If you are going to DHS on a non-Fantasmic day, then be IN the Animation Building at 4:45. You'll be ..... shall we say..... pleasantly surprised!

There are a couple of other random character spots where you can find clusters of characters. One is in AK down from FOTLK where the Pocohontas show used to be. I think they even have her out for a while doing some storytelling or something.

I'm sure someone will chime in here momentarily with link to one of the great character sites........

If you are looking for someone specific, then ask any CM with a phone (like in a shop) to call the character hotline. No hunting, they will tell you when and where.

If they tell you a line is closing, then ask what time they will be back. Be there a bit ahead of that time.

Some lines are just always like that. Wanna see the fairies? Be at TT rope drop by 9:30 for the 9:45 opening. The line never lets up, so be early.

I hear Tiana has been like that too.

I have had trips like that where it seems we always just miss. I remember being let into line to see Aurora at DL once, waited the entire line, only to have her need to leave with us and one other group left standing. Her handler felt so bad for us! But we did finally find her. Once you get the time and get there early, you're good. Most just wander around looking for the line. If you know where the line is going to be, you're good! :thumbsup2

Thanks. As I said, we've been coming for 2 weeks each July for 10 years, so we know where all the hidden characters are, and we were just in Animation building at that time, and not many characters were around. We've BTDT with characters - we know how to line up, times, locations, etc. This thread was to mention that even after doing all of this, there is an absence of characters in the parks, IMHO. It has been noticeabley visible by us.

Thanks for the info, BTDT. Actually saw Tink and Fairies after only a 30 mins wait the other day, and hopped right in Princess line to meet them as well! You are right, that if you get there at rope drop or close to park opening, you should be in luck to meet them! In March, it was the busiest we have ever seen it, and the waits for Tink by 11:30 am, were 2 hours!

I posted mostly for others who are coming down soon, and wanted to post our observations having logged thousands of park hours. We are concerned for first timers who may be disappointed in the absence of characters.

Tiger :)

My DH and I were at WDW from June 27 - July 2 without our kids. We weren't looking for characters on this trip, so at the time I didn't really notice, but looking back on our experience, you are exactly right. It really does seem like many characters were missing from the parks - especially at DHS around the Sorcerer's Hat.

Hopefully, it will be better for our next trip in January!

My 5 yr old son and I just returned 2 days ago from a week long trip. I did notice we saw more characters inside the buidlings then out and about at the park.

I just assumed that it was because of all the rain that we had during our week there. When we did stand in line for some, we had them leave for a couple minutes (to take a break) but then they were right back in 3 to 4 minutes, so not too bad of a wait.

I saw more characters at MK, some at HS and Epcot.....but hardly any at AK?

You have to know where to look. There are a couple dis posters who have websites. I can't think of them off the top of my head, but they have the locations. We were just there the second week of June and have been coming at that time of year every year for the last like 10 years and this year we saw more characters than we ever have.

When characters were super important to us I would make sure we had character meals scheduled for the "must see" ones. This eliminated all waiting in line. It does take away the fun of the hunt but it was effective. :)

There are a few less characters out these days and as the op said they don't rotate during breaks. At DHS, there used to be 4 sets of characters around the hat. When those sets went in after 20-30 minutes (depending on heat) another set replaced them immediately so there were essentially 8 sets of characters there until the parade. When they moved HS Musical to DHS, this ended. It is now down to 2 or 3 sets total.

Also, at MK, there used to be 6-8 character sets that rotated all over the place at the front. Now you get 2 in the middle, maybe Pinocchio to one side, and the pooh characters to the other.

We were able to get almost 100 characters + 30+ Star Wars characters on our recent trip in June. However, our wait times in line has dramatically increased. I do think the number of people wanting autographs and pics has increased dramatically as they have tried to make characters more visible. I do miss the days when there would be no one in line all day at Epcot to see the Fab 5 'cause no one knew they were there.

How weird. We had the exact opposite experience on our trip in May (week before Memorial Day). It was hot, but not particuarly humid for most of our trip. I remember thinking how I'd never seen so many characters out and about- even in the indoor locations. We typically visit in October, so that may have something to do with it. However we have previously visited this same week in May and even during Spring break and never saw as many characters as we saw this trip. We'll be back in Oct, so thanks for the heads up.

We were at MK on Wed and I would agree with you. It seemed like there were far fewer characters out than when we were there in Jan. I thought maybe it was heat.

We were able to get almost 100 characters + 30+ Star Wars characters on our recent trip in June. However, our wait times in line has dramatically increased. I do think the number of people wanting autographs and pics has increased dramatically as they have tried to make characters more visible. I do miss the days when there would be no one in line all day at Epcot to see the Fab 5 'cause no one knew they were there.

On our trip in June we say 3-4 characters out around Sorc Hat, saw 3-4 cahracters at the start of main street, finally got to see the Alice in Wonderland characters at teapots (had never seen them before at all), saw all the normal characters out at AK (including Pocahontas and Jiminy), finally got marie, etc..

I did not notice a decrease in characters when we were there, though I did notice that they were out for a lesser amount of time (but it was very very humid and hot, more so then what we usually saw in August)

I was there July 1-7, and I agree that there wasn't a lot of characters around. And the places that they were, the lines were outrageous. A couple of times we waited on a long line, for them to say that they are going on a break. We did a few character dinners, so at least my DS was able to meet some of them. He met Tigger on several occasions! :rolleyes: I will say that it rained pretty much every day when we were there, so maybe that had something to do with it.

My DGC got a goodly number of autographs during the 2 park days we were there last weekend. One surprise was getting Pochahontas, Brer Rabbit and Brer Bear all together at the Camp Minie Mickey area where the Pochahontas show used to be. Pochahontas read a story that had audience participation, and it was cute. I think her show was better and wish it still played.

Bobbi:goodvibes

We were at DW from 6/15 - 6/23. This was one of our complaints (or dissapointments) on this trip. We did not see any characters out walking around like we had on other trips. But that didn't bother us near as bad as most of the rides continuously kept breaking down. all of the major rides had issues the whole week we were there. It became very frustrating!

As further clarification - we are park veterans, and know exactly where to look and how to search out characters as I stated. There are fewer characters out and they are not out for as long. The heat has nothing to do with it, as it's been cooler than normal this week. Plus, as I stated, we've been coming for 10 years each July for 2 weeks at a time, and we've been here when it's been well over 100 degrees and seen tons of characters. Times have changed @ WDW it would seem based on our experiences this week...We were here in March as well, and it seemed like there were a few more characters out and about, but it was also intensely busy too, so we didn't wait in any lines for characters at all.

Just returned from 6 hours @ Epcot and saw a few characters:

International Gateway - Donald has been out all week, for a short amount of time each afternoon. No other characters that we've seen.

World Showcase - Jasmine (no Aladdin) and Belle (no Beast). Walked by Germany many times throughout the day, and didn't see Snow White at all. Also saw Tigger and Pooh in England, but we are used to seeing Eeyore and Piglet as well in there. Haven't seen Alice at all over a period of many days @ Epcot. Didn't see any other characters out in World Showcase at all today.

So, the partner characters (eg. Belle & Beast, Aladdin & Jasmine, etc.) are getting fewer and far between. CM said that they don't always appear together anymore, and we are used to seeing them together each July we've come.

We are off to MK tonight for fireworks, but don't anticipate waiting in any lines for characters as we are there for fireworks only.

Thanks, Tiger

Maybe you guys just had bad timing? Because I was at Epcot on Wednesday afternoon and I was very surprised to walk by pretty much every regular character available. Alice, Mary Poppins, Marie, Aurora, Belle, Beast, Aladdin, Jasmine, Snow White and Mulan. Didn't see Donald in Mexico but he was at the International Gateway. Plus the regulars at the Character Spot, Chip and Dale outside next door and Daisy and Stitch in front of Spaceship Earth. A lot of the lines did have handlers telling guests the lines were closed, but the characters were out.

Yesterday at Magic I saw Pluto, pirate Goofy, Woody, Jessie, Bert, Mary Poppins, Peter Pan, Wendy, Ariel, Eric, Tiana, Naveen, White Rabbit, Buzz and space Chip and Dale out. Plus there were characters inside at Toontown, of course. The lines did look long.

Maybe you guys just had bad timing? Because I was at Epcot on Wednesday afternoon and I was very surprised to walk by pretty much every regular character available. Alice, Mary Poppins, Marie, Aurora, Belle, Beast, Aladdin, Jasmine, Snow White and Mulan. Didn't see Donald in Mexico but he was at the International Gateway. Plus the regulars at the Character Spot, Chip and Dale outside next door and Daisy and Stitch in front of Spaceship Earth. A lot of the lines did have handlers telling guests the lines were closed, but the characters were out.

We have seen most of these characters too, but over many days of being here. Have seen: Marie, Aurora, Belle and Jasmine. No, Snow White, Mulan, Aladdin or Beast. Asked about Aladdin and Beast, and both CMs said probably not today at all, and we didn't see them in the past few days either. We don't go to the Character Spot as the lines are horrendous, and we have met all of those characters at character meals. Did walk by Chip and Dale yesterday as well, but line up was too long, and will be eating with them at Garden Grill tomorrow night. This isn't a long list of characters as far as I'm concerned. We've seen tons more in World Showcase over our 10 years of being here each July.

Yesterday at Magic I saw Pluto, pirate Goofy, Woody, Jessie, Bert, Mary Poppins, Peter Pan, Wendy, Ariel, Eric, Tiana, Naveen, White Rabbit, Buzz and space Chip and Dale out. Plus there were characters inside at Toontown, of course. The lines did look long.

Haven't been to MK since Tuesday, but didn't see many of those characters either. Did see Space Chip, Tiana/Naveen, Goofy, Aladdin & Jasmine, and that is it.

Not anticipating seeing many characters at MK tonight either. Back to Epcot and AK tomorrow.

Tiger :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter