Been Back for a week. Here are some notes, hints, and tips that we discovered.

alhenton

Earning My Ears
First time in Disneyland. I have been to Disney World 4 times previously, including last summer, and love it every single time. Bought the Disneyland book, read the forum and had a pretty good plan going forward. I went with my GF for three days with a park hopper (must have). Also purchased photopass+.

• I was unsure of what to expect with my first trip to SoCal Disney. I was not disappointed. DCA was beautifully done, especially Cars Land. Wow. Disneyland was incredible as well. New Orleans Square is awesome and Toontown is delightful.
  • We went with full DCA on Tuesday, start at Disneyland Wednesday, and Magic Morning Disneyland Thursday.
  • Definitely spring for the RSR FP. We got one on Tues and Thurs of our trip and had plenty of time beforehand to do many of the main attractions. The line for the FP is quick and their are CMs that help make the process go quickly.
  • In Disneyland on Wednesday, we got there at rope drop (8am) and started immediately at Adventureland. We were able to do Jungle Cruise, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Splash, and Big Thunder all within the first hour that the park was open. We grabbed an Indy FP right as we entered. Indy was down during our FP period, which actually helped because it allowed us to do more of the park and come back to Indy whenever.
  • DCA tip: We did Alfresco's Tasting Terrace at about 4:30. We were able to enjoy some drinks and snacks (although not the cheapest) while having a peaceful, cool place to watch the Pixar Parade.
  • Our Magic morning was a bit disappointing. We got there at 7am, but Matterhorn and Space were both shut down, so we rode Alice and Mr. Toad (which I really enjoyed). While those rides are nice, it was disappointing that the two we came for were down. We never ended up riding Matterhorn because waits were always so long and we just couldn't fit it in. We didn't let that bring us down though!
  • Our Magic Morning experience did allow us to got back to DCA and ride Soarin, ToT, California Screamin, and get a FP for RSR so that was nice.
  • RSR is absolutely stunning. The technology and setting is awesome. Disney hit a home run with that and all of Cars Land.
  • We really enjoyed California Screamin. Such a fun thrill ride. It also usually had a pretty short wait.
  • Little Mermaid and Tower of Terror were also our favorites from DCA.
  • We rode the Chew Chew train. I had read on here about it being a must ride. I'll be honest, I'm not sure I understand it. I assume there is a certain charm about it, which I sort of understood, but other than that, we won't ride it. I would choose Casey Jr's instead.
  • Big Thunder, Space, and Pirates are better than their WDW counterparts.
  • We ate at Blue Bayou (lunch was great), Alfresco's, Pacific Wharf (really good), Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta (eh, ok), Jolly Holiday Cafe (recommend), had Mint Julep's (yum).
  • We went with the 10:15 World of Color show. First off, what an absolutely amazing show. It truly showcases Disney Magic. We got FPs for it, but didn't need to use them. we were able to walk up to a railing, in front of Little Mermaid, about 5 minutes before the show and had an awesome view.
  • We did the 9pm Fantasmic with a FP and had a pretty decent view.
  • I recommend the 11pm Paint the Night parade if you can swing it. We watched from a curb right in front of the castle, with no obstruction. Walked up to that after taking some Photopass pics.
  • Disneyland Forever is awesome as well. We ended our trip with that. We didn't find the crowds too awful. I can understand the frustration if you aren't used to crowds, but it wasn't too difficult to make our way out.
  • Adam Sandler and Paul Rudd were in Disneyland our last day there so that's pretty neat!
  • Stayed at Portofino Inn and Suites. We arrived from Los Feliz at around 7:15 hoping to just park our car, but surprisingly they had our room ready! That was a pleasant surprise. We were also able to keep our car parked for the entire last day after we had checked out. It is also a short walk to the park. I'd recommend.
Some tips:
  • Expect to encounter rude people. 95% of the incidents we faced were unintentional. If you walk through the park and treat every situation as intentional, it will ruin you trip. The people who run you over in strollers. stop right in front of you, or cut you off are not doing it intentionally. More often than not, you will get a sorry or some sort of acknowledgement of wrongdoing.
  • With that being said, always be sure of your surroundings. It;s just like driving. If you need to make a stop, or turn around, check your surroundings (while continuing forward) until you can find a place to stop or turnaround.
  • We scheduled the first 2 or 3 things that we did each day and then just went with what worked. We continually checked the main board for wait and FP times, and those CMs are so helpful.
  • Toontown is great for characters. Although is was surprised there is no Roger Rabbit merchandise.
  • Photopass was worth it. We have roughly 200 photos from the 3 days and we pretty much stopped at any PP CM. They are great. Quick story, we did a PP shoot in CarsLand on Wednesday, and then Thursday we found the same lady at a different location and she remembered us! It was awesome!
I think that covers a lot.
Feel free to ask me anything. If you want a tip, or a recommendation, I can probably help. We covered every square inch of the property (parks and DTD) so I may be able to help with a lot!

Thanks for the informative feedback! Glad you had a good experience. :)

:wizard:

• "With that being said, always be sure of your surroundings. It;s just like driving. If you need to make a stop, or turn around, check your surroundings (while continuing forward) until you can find a place to stop or turnaround."
Yes please!! Oh my I wish everyone would learn to pull to the side of the walkway before stopping or slowing down! That would be so very nice.

Great trip report, thanks for sharing!

I wonder which Disneyland I go to. The only time I was hit by a stroller was by my own, once resulting in me falling down. I would consider that my problem. I did watch a woman walk right into my stroller (I had stopped because I saw her coming but didn't have enough time to yell at her) and then be yelled at, including swear language, in front of my 2 and 1 year olds because she ran into my stroller while on her phone.

I wonder which Disneyland I go to. The only time I was hit by a stroller was by my own, once resulting in me falling down. I would consider that my problem. I did watch a woman walk right into my stroller (I had stopped because I saw her coming but didn't have enough time to yell at her) and then be yelled at, including swear language, in front of my 2 and 1 year olds because she ran into my stroller while on her phone.

Sorry that happened! That park guest was out of line and rude. Obviously she was distracted by her cell phone usage and who knows what all else.

We rode the Chew Chew train. I had read on here about it being a must ride. I'll be honest, I'm not sure I understand it. I assume there is a certain charm about it, which I sort of understood, but other than that, we won't ride it.

Aw. We love that ride. Have you seen Bug's Land recently? Do you know the story behind the guy who voiced Heimlich (and Wheezy and Red and Peterbilt and Lenny the Binoculars and a few others along with being a writer for Pixar)? Knowing that part helps us love the ride more; and the adorableness and the yummy smells and the burps (I'm a lone female caught between two males in my household LOL)...it's all just cute.

Yes please!! Oh my I wish everyone would learn to pull to the side of the walkway before stopping or slowing down! That would be so very nice.

Great trip report, thanks for sharing!

Ah, but you have to LOOK before you pull over. DH graduated from stopping to moving over without looking. NEITHER is optimal for those behind him! He is not a small guy and gets in peoples' ways. At least we don't use a stroller anymore and I don't have to worry about him running into peoples' ankles and not noticing! (seriously, he never knew when he did it, would have sworn he was far from ankles, he was just clueless about it and didn't feel the impact)

Always look around before doing anything but walking in a straight line LOL.

Aw. We love that ride. Have you seen Bug's Land recently? Do you know the story behind the guy who voiced Heimlich (and Wheezy and Red and Peterbilt and Lenny the Binoculars and a few others along with being a writer for Pixar)? Knowing that part helps us love the ride more; and the adorableness and the yummy smells and the burps (I'm a lone female caught between two males in my household LOL)...it's all just cute.

Ah, but you have to LOOK before you pull over. DH graduated from stopping to moving over without looking. NEITHER is optimal for those behind him! He is not a small guy and gets in peoples' ways. At least we don't use a stroller anymore and I don't have to worry about him running into peoples' ankles and not noticing! (seriously, he never knew when he did it, would have sworn he was far from ankles, he was just clueless about it and didn't feel the impact)

The burping is adorable? And the scent of burps is yummy? Oh that just sounds so disgusting.

I love this, especially your note about remembering that most rudeness is unintentional. It's a great point and really helps cut down on frustration-everyone is just trying to do their best and have fun and sometime makes mistakes.

Ah, but you have to LOOK before you pull over. DH graduated from stopping to moving over without looking. NEITHER is optimal for those behind him! He is not a small guy and gets in peoples' ways.

I think that is my worst pet peeve about some people in disneyland, when they just randomly stop in the middle of a busy walkway with no care about who is right behind them when they do it. I can't imagine being that inconsiderate about others around me.

What is the story behind heimlich? I think it's a cute ride, especially for younger kids, and at least once for older people, but I see how some might find it unextroardinary.

I think that is my worst pet peeve about some people in disneyland, when they just randomly stop in the middle of a busy walkway with no care about who is right behind them when they do it. I can't imagine being that inconsiderate about others around me.

What is the story behind heimlich? I think it's a cute ride, especially for younger kids, and at least once for older people, but I see how some might find it unextroardinary.

Multiple groups of people always seem to do it in front of Indiana Jones every afternoon. Its as if they are holding a meeting there.

......they are....what do we do next when exiting Indy......what do we do next after the Cruise, ......what do we do next after exiting Tarzen.......what do we order at this here Bengal place.....and where exactly is the bathroom?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter