• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Been a member at Copper Creek since 2017....here are some spreadsheet nerd facts

DSLRuser

Age is a state of mind
  • 16 trips since buying direct. (175 points)
  • 57 total nights in 7 years
    • 1 stay at home Copper Creek
    • 1 stay at Contemporary
    • 1 stay at Riviera
    • 1 stay at Saratoga
    • 1 stay at Grand Floridian
    • 2 stays at Animal Kingdom Lodge
    • 3 Stays at Boardwalk
    • 3 stays at beach Club
  • Cost of direct contract $29k​
  • Cost of rack rate with discounts $60k best estimate
    • 18 nights in a studio​
    • 27 nights in a 1 bedroom​
    • 12 nights in a 2 bedroom​
Point of this thread is my math when I was considering being was way too conservative. We have already "broken even" and are saving. At the same time I realize we may not have gone quite this much paying rack rate.

In process of 190 additional resale points in same use year but OKW home resort. Family is growing and we need more 2br stays.

Ohhh, you’re a person after my own heart…I absolutely LOVE data!! I may sit down and do the same thing with my DVC :earsboy:

This is great to see... An average of 8ish nights a year. That's wonderful! I look forward to your new points and new adventures! Have you thought about how you will best deploy using them to limit stranded points? That's one reason why I haven't been willing to buy in at other resorts.

• 16 trips since buying direct. (175 points)
  • 57 total nights in 7 years
    • 1 stay at home Copper Creek
    • 1 stay at Contemporary
    • 1 stay at Riviera
    • 1 stay at Saratoga
    • 1 stay at Grand Floridian
    • 2 stays at Animal Kingdom Lodge
    • 3 Stays at Boardwalk
    • 3 stays at beach Club
  • Cost of direct contract $29k​
  • Cost of rack rate with discounts $60k best estimate​
    • 18 nights in a studio​
    • 27 nights in a 1 bedroom​
    • 12 nights in a 2 bedroom​
Point of this thread is my math when I was considering being was way too conservative. We have already "broken even" and are saving. At the same time I realize we may not have gone quite this much paying rack rate.

In process of 190 additional resale points in same use year but OKW home resort. Family is growing and we need more 2br stays.

Ohhh, you’re a person after my own heart…I absolutely LOVE data!! I may sit down and do the same thing with my DVC :earsboy:
You got me curious so I started doing my own nerd facts but I’m having trouble finding rack rate info from that far back (we bought our DVC in 2018, first stay was in 2019). Where can I find that info? Mousesavers’ website doesn’t have the links active to the rack rates from that far back.

If the numbers say what I want them to, I might be able to convince my hubby to add on more points :stitch:

ETA: Found it!! TouringPlans.com has a set of rack rates by date for previous years….now to calculate and analyze…

Last edited:

Where did you factor in costs of annual dues? We've been members for more than 20 years, I've tracked this too, including any rental transactions, and have been very happy with the decision to purchase.

Love this and glad I am not the only one that tracks. bought resale in 21 and have done five stays and have recouped initial investment and dues. I usually look when I book what the sale price is at that time. Normally we would stay in a family suite but darn a two bedroom splurge at grand flo was so but better and we would never have paid that.

At the same time I realize we may not have gone quite this much paying rack rate.
Or paid cash to stay in 1 & 2 bedroom villas, even if discounts were offered. (Or stayed longer. Or treated family & friends. Or paid for "extras" because of the "$0 bill" for accommodations).

IMO, break even is very, very difficult to calculate in most situations. Don't know anyone who can honestly say they haven't used their memberships in ways they never considered when they were initially running the numbers. :)

Interesting data, though. Thanks for sharing.

This was such an interesting exercise, and made me so much happier with our decision to buy in to DVC than I already was. We’re 5 years in (200 pt CCV contract, purchased in mid-2018, first trip was early 2019) and, factoring the contract value at purchase (+ dues paid so far) against the rack rate of our stays we are closing in on what I would call “break-even” YEARS ahead of when I thought we would.

As the previous post said, a true break-even is very hard to calculate and I can definitively say we would never have paid straight cash for the stays we’ve had over the last 5 years, so that factors. But, when I calculate the dollars spent vs the value received all the while knowing we still have 40+ years of stays ahead of us that will cost a fraction of the rack rate, I’m very pleased 😄

Agree on the break even and we would never go to Disney as much as we have if we had to pay cash.

But. We have had to buy 2 or 3 nights here and there to book end a stay when pints were tight. That just solidified our need for more points.

I first bought into DVC in 2000 with a OKW resale contract of 250 points. When AKV opened we bought 150 points direct. Eventually the OKW contract was sold and we make a few K$ on that sale.

I currently have the AKV contract. I looked at a spreadsheet that I started a long time ago. I didn't put in the room cost for the last few years of stays but for the stays entered and tracked the total value of the stays (rack rate x nights stayed) was about $105K. I'm sure if I updated the stays entered with $$ amounts and recent stays not entered it would $140 ~ $160K.

Break even was a LONG time ago!

I use the cost of renting the points for the room I have booked… as we rented prior to buying in. I would never have paid cash for DVC rooms through Disney.

I stay mostly 1BR, so I like my math, BUT it's misleading because I never would have paid rack rate for it, so there's that.

We used the cash rates with 35% discount which is what we routinely paid via cash.

Based on the initial numbers, had that actually been what happened, we would have broke even a long time ago.

However, it didn’t take long for us to add more points and go more often. Book rooms we never would have for cash.

I no longer bother even trying to run numbers because in the end, I don’t regret any of what it cost me to have my 900 points and cover my yearly dues because what I get for it, is more than worth it!!!!

I also track against discounted rack rates (40% off) just to see. When we were buying 40% was typical for room discounts so I stuck with that. I’m pretty sure those discounts dried up in the late 2010’s.

Overall I’m happy with the savings. We had been going every year so our habits were known. The discount on annual passes was also a nice savings.

One unexpected bonus was when DCL Fantasy came out and there was a DVC discount on cruises that covered a cruise that we had already booked, so we got a discount. That’s the best kind of discount, something we were already doing!

We joined in late 2016, first stay in mid 2017...every time we 'break even' we end up adding more points 😅

Here's our stays, past and booked in next 11mo:
Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 6.31.29 PM.png
(orange = home resort, though we haven't yet stayed at VGF or VDH since buying)

Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 6.32.11 PM.png

One Poly+Studio 8 night stay is likely going to convert to BWV+1BR at 7 months.

ETA: Found it!! TouringPlans.com has a set of rack rates by date for previous years….now to calculate and analyze…
TouringPlans appears to be a bit high on their rack rates. Just simply comparing a current reservation from Disney World to their 2023 table they appear to be higher than the results of the WDW hotel quote. Not sure where you can locate historical rate data for non WDW resorts like Hilton Head or Vero Beach.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter