Bedtime

katiereeve

Earning My Ears
What strategies do any of you have at bedtime to put the kids to bed without having to go to bed yourselves yet?

You mean other than getting a 2 bedroom?

Just turn out the lights and wait 5 minutes. There is no tired like a Disney tired.

What we have done in the past (and will do again) is dug out our old baby monitor (being pack rats), brought it with us and set it up for bedtime. We let the girls know that we can hear them if they need us and then we close the door and find a bench (or bring two fold up chairs) within sight of the room door and sit and enjoy the atmosphere of the resort. They will test this system at least once but after that they settle down and we get to enjoy a little adult time; conversation and a drink perhaps.:) This works for us, anyway.

This only works well of course if you are in a first floor room. The first time we went down we were in a third floor room and were trapped on the "balcony" area; not nearly as nice! Although we haven't tried this, maybe poolside would be cool; you would have a table and chairs and you could even take turns going for a dip!

Oooo...the baby monitor is a good idea!! We have done the turn out the lights for 5 min routine but WE always end up falling asleep! :teeth:

We have also put a shoe in the door and sat outside on the sidewalk or a nearby bench having a drink....the baby monitor would let us go further away! We're usually at the POR and have always been on the ground level.

I agree with the "No tired like Disney tired!"

Last trip, we let the kids stay up a little later than usual, and we all usually fell asleep at the same time! One night, my (then) 5 year old daughter stayed up later than me to see the water pageant :rotfl2:

We had a balconyat WL, so I think there were a couple times when the kids took a mid-day nap and we sat outside.

We just let ours stay up as late as we do. He's 9, and my theory is that you aren't at Disney all of the time. We totally bend the rules when we are in "the World". Now, when he was younger, we totally left him in the bedroom, turned out the tv and lights, and hid in the bathroom until he was asleep. Once he's out, we can have lights and tv blazing and he'd never be the wiser.

Just turn out the lights and wait 5 minutes. There is no tired like a Disney tired.

This is what we did when our kids were little. They were so wiped out from the parks that they would lay down, whisper for five minutes to each other and be out like a light. Never had a problem getting them to sleep.

Midnight swims with the kids alleviate the need to stay up after them. Then again, our kids were 6 and 9 at the time and they'll be 10 and 14 when we go in November. Our kids always went to sleep with a lot of distractions since we used to stay in hotels a lot when they were young.

I've taken a book light with me, specifically for this purpose. I would put my niece to bed and then go sit out on the balcony (great views from the CR!!) with a drink, a snack and a book or magazine. I could take in the views or I could read my book while relaxing. Then I'd get so relaxed that I'd have to go inside and climb into bed to sleep. :rotfl:

I go to bed when they do. :blush:

Me too :)

I am just too tired. I do like the suggestion of a baby monitor and sitting outside the room. And if you get a room by a pool, hmmmm, might have to dig out the monitor and request that view :laughing:

OMG ... what memories this thread brings back! I remember going to WDW with my five year old daughter (by myself). I remember putting her to bed and then "lounging" in the bathtub with a glass of wine on the ledge and a good book! Those were the days! :rotfl2:

Yep, like others, we went to sleep when they did! That is so not like me (I'm a night owl) but I was so exhausted, we all went to sleep together at the same time. And we let them stay up later than usual because hey, you're in Disney! And let me tell you, I slept like a baby every night! Hubby and I always joke about the Disney magic and how you even SLEEP better while there! :wizard:

My Daughter pack's the " Noise Maker" I do not know the Technical name for them --- They have small & large one's --- Works like a Charm -- I guess its Disney Tired & a Familiar sounds from home ...

We just let ours stay up a little bit later then tell them its bedtime, read thier story and lay them down and they fall asleep. DS is usually to tired to fight it and DD is scared of the dark so used to sleeping with lights on so she usually goes to sleep in the next 15-20 minute. DH and I just be al ittle quieter, turn down the tv some or read during that time. But this will be our last trip without more than one room, its just getting a little bothersome w/ the bed time, DD not wanting to sleep with DS and space issues. We are moving to the suites at the Art of Disney Animation for our next trip with the kids.

I agree with the poster that said there is no tired like Disney tired. So when we get back to the resort (and keeping in mind that we let the kids stay up late at Disney since we stay on 'mountain time' and it is vacation), we get them ready for bed first then turn down/off the lights and put on a little TV. They will usually be asleep in a few minutes.

Take them to the parks early. Stay as long as they can stand it. Throw them in the pool. Take them to the room and get them warm baths. They will be talking to you one minute and out like a light the next.

Last year was our first trip with the little ones. We got a balcony and TPV. This way they went to sleep and we watched Wishes and the Electric Water Pageant. One night we even picked up some champagne:cool1:. DH says he wants the same exact room this year! :goodvibes

We also brought our booklights in case we just wanted to read.

Enjoy your trip!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter