• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

BedBugs??

I wouldn't take itching guy too seriously. His grammer and general logic are horrible, why would his "stats" be anymore reliable.

Remeber, 67% of all statistics are made upon the spot.

Bed bug "bites" are very similar to those of sand fleas (no seeums). So, for those that were at the beach or in sand, they need to consider that they may have been bitten by sand fleas.

I think they are just everywhere, they were at my local movie theater when we were at Disney 3 weeks ago. My fiance also works at home depot and said one of the biggest selling items this summer has been the bed bug spray. :eek:

haha, lowes in the monmouth mall? im right up the street.

We had them before they only biting me so i told my husband we had to do something about it so we sprayed the whole bed with lice spray and then alcohol and then got one of those bed covers at walmart they have bed bug ones and that worked great we don't have them anymore just thought I would let you know. We got them from another apartment that we lived in. you can bet when we get to disney i'm checking the beds for sure before anyone else in my family goes in there

I've been to WDW over 25 times in the past 10 years, and no sign of bedbugs. I also travel about 26 weeks out of the year. Do I stress about it? No. Do I check the beds? Sometimes, but usually not. (and I don't Lysol the room, either, but that's another thread).

The problem with these types of reports is that one person will post (and sure, I'm not saying there aren't sporadic rooms with bedbugs) about their experience...then a bunch of people pile on with their 'maybe or maybe not' bedbug stories. Then a new person comes along and reads the thread and thinks, "OMG! There are ALL THESE PEOPLE WITH BEDBUGS at WDW!" Has anyone considered that, even if you see 100 confirmed reports of bedbugs at WDW (and I doubt there have been that many by DIS members), out of millions of guests/room nights stayed at WDW, the real chances of you getting infested are still really, really small?

(that would also go for the chances of your plane crashing, the chances of you getting true food poisoning, the chances of someone sitting in front of your parade spot, etc)

Be reasonable. Don't be alarmist.

I don't know this "jack" you refer to {not very smart then, I'm sure everyone else here knows Jack}, but it seems you didn't read the reports you linked to {you assume a lot, read more, check more facts}, which state quite clearly:

"Adult bed bugs can survive for 6-7 months {They starve, inside a mattress bag, heck leave it on for 2 years, or just buy a new mattress, you still need to bomb, clean, and regularly treat your house, and seal the new mattress anyway or it will get infested. Heck, I'm thinking of spending the $100 to bag my bed proactively} without a blood meal and have been known to live in abandoned houses for 1 year." {Living in abandoned houses with transient animals and/or people to feed on and no cleanup or pesticide treatments. Because they have to feed to make it over a year. Common sense again.}

OBVIOUSLY, {Obviously, because that is what you wrote} I didn't mean bugs would live indefinitely forever and ever without feeding {just forever} -- but was referring directly to your comparison to lice, which will die within a couple of days if they don't feed. {Not scientific enough, put your head in a plastic bag and prove it.} Nice to take things out of context and then get all high and mighty about it, while still managing to get it wrong, "jack." {" "}

I see you're one of those that likes to take things out of context and then get all high and mighty about it, and then try to turn it around and make it sound like the other guy was the one that got all condescending and direct in the first place. You must write for that rag you took as an avatar... here, let me quote you again... DIRECTLY:

I don't know any other way to say this, so I'll just be direct {condescending}: What you have written is simply not true and is inconsistent with vast amounts of scientific literature on the subject. {Which the tiki room goddess beamed into your brain so you wouldn't need to read any of it, but cite all of it.}

And lice in comparison is a terrible example {I still say you should bag your head.} for so many reasons. Most specifically, lice will die when they cannot feed. Bed bugs will not. {BEWARE THE TERMINATOR BEDBUG}

For the record, {because the almighty may judge me on my forum posts one day} I never said the cleanup was easy, and the comparison to lice had to do with things people needlessly worry about at WDW. Here are others: fleas, herpes, scabies, things passed by close and/or skin-to-skin contact especially moist skin like sweaty people in a subway or main street, or that monorail contraption. Am I worried? No! {But I'll bet some people are itching and squirming right now, and some spouses are now going to blame WDW for that "itch"} Because in the remote chance that I bump into someone, or a room with any contagion, I'll deal with it and follow the necessary actions. If I see obvious signs of a bad room, I'll ask for another, and leave the hotel if I need to. I have done that with a case of mold in the past. Do you want to take issue with scabies now? Is it not a good example because instead of spraying my house with pesticides for months, I am taking pesticides orally and topically for weeks?

hey, now this is just a thought....I just saw a tv commercial, you can buy a video of Chris Angel Mind Freak, and he will teach you how to levitate, so if we buy the video and learn how to levitate off the beds in hotels we won't have to worry about bed bugs anymore?....Right?:confused3 just sayin'

hey, now this is just a thought....I just saw a tv commercial, you can buy a video of Chris Angel Mind Freak, and he will teach you how to levitate, so if we buy the video and learn how to levitate off the beds in hotels we won't have to worry about bed bugs anymore?....Right?:confused3 just sayin'

Nope, not even Chuck Norris can stop a bed bug from biting him. He can only rip off his beard (and its fist) and throw it at them, while running in the other direction.

BTW, if it makes anyone feel any better, I lived in NYC until this year, moved to Orlando, have been in the parks about 20 something times in the past 6 months, been to quite a few area hotels over the past couple of years, including onsite ones, with no bedbugs. In fact, I have yet to personally know anyone unlucky enough to have encountered them. I'm certain your odds are pretty good, unless you're the 1 in whatever statistic they make up this week.

I am not stressing about Bed Bugs for our Aug trip. While we were in Disney last Aug I went on FB and saw my local movie theater was closed due to bed bugs, so they are everywhere. I could get them going to the movies. Just be vigilant. My fiance also works at Home Depot and said that last summer his biggest seller was Bed Bug chemicals..ew. So...yeah everywhere lol.

Where, in either of those paragraphs, am I saying that "there is no bedbug problem"? What I AM saying is that there always HAS been. The only reason it's a big deal all of a sudden is because someone who has easy access to the media had a bad experience (at, I might add, a NON-Disney resort). And because this producer had a bad experience, it's in the news again. But based on how easy it has been for you to find information and resort listings, it's pretty clear it's been a problem for a while. And it will continue to be, as long as millions of people share millions of hotel rooms.

It's no more of an epidemic now than it ever has been. It's just in the news now.

I'm sorry, but this is incorrect. There is more of an epidemic now; read up on it. Cities that never had issues have issues now - and that's not because some producer told them to. I know people who lived in NYC for many, many years who suddenly can't go into particular stores or some of their friends' homes because the buggers have started a serious multiply. If millions of Americans had been living with these things crawling all through their houses, there would have been a greater demand for effective extermination tools, and we would have them by now. And, due to world travel, it would be the more affluent people in the country who were calling out for these "effective treatment measures", so it would have been a done deal.

As the world grows smaller and links between cities become easier to make (so that the bugs can travel), and as improper and ineffective tools for bedbug removal and extermination are spread (not to mention that the only agreed-upon effective chemical for extermination has been banned some years ago), these bugs will become more of a scourge than has been seen in the USA before. THAT is the truth. In dealing with our own scourge, talking to many exterminators, doctors, and attorneys, and doing research, we found that these bugs can live for up to 18 months without feeding on ANYTHING - so by now, we should be good. We went with the most conservative estimate in order to make sure we didn't take off a bed cover too soon and end up with the bugs once again - and btw, that is NOT the way we treated our infestation, the bed was the last big thing we kept and had it covered the entire time, even through the second bug appearance (which was over a year later - again, they hadn't fed off us in that time, and there were no pets in the home).

So, like with anything else, a bit of prevention goes a long way. Sure, put an air mattress on the floor for your kids; throw your clothes in the dressers. Sleep soundly in your rented bed. As long as you've done a quick but thorough check of your room, you've done what you can to prevent the spread of these suckers. No reason to freak out or argue; check the places the bedbugs like to live, then get on with your life. Having had them myself, I can't say it's a smart decision to think "oh, whatever, I'll just live my life, no need to look at anything", but if you have an extra $10k to throw at the problem when you get home, by all means you can ignore my advice.

As a side note, we did a quick (>20 minute) check of our resort room at POFQ in November; when we took the picture off the wall to look behind it, we found a very old wrapping from a fake sword and eye patch! Had a good laugh over that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter