Bedbug on Disney Dream

Trust me when I tell you this....there is nothing you can do.
Due to an error by a crew member, I fell onboard and broke three ribs. It was VERY well documented onboard. Xrays at the med center, talks with nearly every senior staff member except the Captain....onboard medical charges paid for, but assurances from everyone onboard that once I was home and contacted the name on the card that they gave me, someone shoreside, my cruise would be reimbursed, etc....HAH!!! The person I called shoreside basically said "Tough luck". It was my word against theirs, that it was a crew member's blatant mistake that caused me to fall.

Obviously I don't have the money to hire a bunch of attorneys to fight the slew of attorneys Disney has, so that was the end of it.

Do your best to let it go. It's been 2 and a half years, and I've obviously not forgotten, maybe never will, but I have cruised with Disney since then.

We sent an email to the guest services email address about our trip. We'll see what they say.

I'm sorry that happened to you and you were treated that way.

Yikes!! That is scary. I hope they deal with that problem. I am sorry your vacation was not as relaxing as you had hoped. And they should have done something a bit more, I think.

What cabin number where you?? I would not bring any of your luggage in your home. If there were one or two there were probably many more. YIKES Im freaking out!!!
We go on the Dream the end of April I really hope they fumigate the room and really all the rooms since they spread easliy.:scared:

I'd like to think it was an isolated incident and they have since taken care of it. Good luck and may your cruise be bug-free!

We sent an email to the guest services email address about our trip. We'll see what they say.

I'm sorry that happened to you and you were treated that way.

And I'm also sorry this is happening to you! I don't think my post sounded like I felt bad for you, but I do. I was just being realistic from my experience as to what you can expect. I really hope they DO find some way to compensate you, though.

I stayed at a hotel (booked by my employer) for a business trip a few months ago. And several colleagues and I complained that the rooms had bugs in them (luckily not bed bugs- a native bug that stunk really, really bad). The attitude from the hotel after several complaints was tough luck. I am a clean freak but I have learned when you stay in a bed that is not yours (hotel, cruise, etc) you keep your fingers crossed and deal. Sorry this happened to you but unless you got bitten (and it was documented and confimed) or suffered medical trauma I don't think you are going to get anything from DCL.

Thankfully no medical trauma...just stress. lol.

I've sent guest services an email...we'll see what they say.

If the crew confirmed the bug was a bedbug, why did you allow them to keep you in those rooms? I know you said that they would split you up, but I would have made the biggest stink possible. There were other rooms, I'm sure. A suite, anything. They just didn't want to do anything. If they didn't do anything, I would have started telling everyone I saw that the crew confirmed a bedbug was in my cabin and I would have persisted ALL.DAY.LONG.
This is not something to play around with. These things ruin people's lives and cost them thousands and thousands of dollars. I would not have accepted anything less then new rooms or a refund. Unacceptable.

And I'm also sorry this is happening to you! I don't think my post sounded like I felt bad for you, but I do. I was just being realistic from my experience as to what you can expect. I really hope they DO find some way to compensate you, though.

I really appreciate your concern and feedback. We just didn't know if we were overreacting or had a right to pursue this further so that's why I asked on here. I almost felt a little guilty for posting this on here. Kinda like I was betraying a family member! lol We are DVC members, Florida residents and Disney passholders...we have been for about 15 years! Maybe that's why we feel so insulted?

We love everything Disney! (minus the bugs. :))

If the crew confirmed the bug was a bedbug, why did you allow them to keep you in those rooms? I know you said that they would split you up, but I would have made the biggest stink possible. There were other rooms, I'm sure. A suite, anything. They just didn't want to do anything. If they didn't do anything, I would have started telling everyone I saw that the crew confirmed a bedbug was in my cabin and I would have persisted ALL.DAY.LONG.
This is not something to play around with. These things ruin people's lives and cost them thousands and thousands of dollars. I would not have accepted anything less then new rooms or a refund. Unacceptable.

I agree with you... I called them all day on Tuesday. I finally got a response that night and that's when they offered the one room. He said the ship was completely full and sold out expect this one room. Wednesday we went about our day and enjoyed CC. It was that night we found another one. That was the night we went down to gs.

I'm so sorry this experience happened! Bedbugs are NASTY! It happened to us at a WDW resort a few years ago. Of course, the situation is not the same as on a cruise where you are pretty much "stuck" on ship with limited room options (if the ship is full).

We made a fuss and were moved and our belongings dry-cleaned. And while our trip was somewhat spoiled, the managers at the resort made a real effort (but the front desk staff didn't care). Our vacation ended well - despite the bedbugs.

When we returned I wrote a letter - explaining the situation but at the same time that some of the staff helped us. I also made it clear in this day of social media (Yelp, Facebook, Twitter) that I planned to let others know our experience and I doubted that I might ever go back to WDW.

Within a few DAYS, they called. We settled. So...

For anyone who has an issue with customer service, when you are back on land, write that letter to complain about your treatment. And let it be known (in a nice way) that you have every intention of publicizing your negative experience.

Disney *wants* repeat customers and letting your friends know how bad a time you had is NOT what they want. Word gets around, especially if you have a lot of Facebook friends or Twitter followers! Even if they don't respond at least it might make you feel better. I definitely did!

FYI about bedbugs - they look like flat apple seeds (black and oval), and they do not confine themselves to your room. They are known to travel through electrical sockets to other rooms above, below and next door. They would have to fumigate a square radius of rooms including above and below to stop them from traveling to other rooms in an effort to escape.

Don't put your luggage on the bed or rugs. Either use the luggage rack, or place your luggage on a tile floor away from material surroundings. Once home, leave the bags either in extreme heat for several days (wrapped in plastic if possible), or extreme cold, and then vacuum out the lining before bringing them into the main house. :)

The only thing that concerns me is if it was indeed a bed bug those nasty boogers multiply fast and hundreds of thousands. Makes me wonder if other rooms have them.

Some people do not react to bed bug bites like others, and you would have to really look hard to find out if you have them in your room. It's gross to think about. I hope they spray the ship just incase.

I went on a college trip to the Galápagos Islands for college credit...awesome except I slept in the dinning area of our dinky boat. I thought I saw a roach in my bed actually several... So my light in my bed stayed on and I stayed away made for a long week... We were roughing it so in wasn't going to complain... We just stayed in tents in the middle of the jungle before going on the trip and going the bath room in ditches. Lol...

But paying for a relaxing worry free vacation I would pitch a fit and made them comp my rooms and charges if they didn't have another room for us to move into.

As to the reason of your daughter not being mentioned... Chances are she was listed in the other room with one adult. Since you had two rooms, only way would have been to list two kids and an adult on be room and the third kid an adult on the other.

Only way to deal with this knf of situation is in person at GS. Now, try to go via their social media to see if you get anywhere... Since it was presidents week, chances were pretty high the ship was full...

Good luck.

I'd say to just drop it. As you already said, you have a far greater experience with Disney that shows this is a one off. At least your cruise had power, working toilets, and cuisine beyond onion sandwiches!

This sounds so strange.... did you have a magnifying camera, how could you get a decent picture to identify it? Where did you find it? Did anyone in your family have any bites? If you slept in beds with bed bugs for several nights, I would think you would have been bitten, and I would think if there are 2 bugs found, there are many more in many beds. ugh, I sure hope that's not the case.

As to the reason of your daughter not being mentioned... Chances are she was listed in the other room with one adult. Since you had two rooms, only way would have been to list two kids and an adult on be room and the third kid an adult on the other.

that makes sense, though you'd think they could try a bit harder by looking at the full reservation - this isn't the first family of 5 to travel in connecting rooms. Anyone who talked to them knew they had 2 rooms, it's the reason they couldn't transfer to the other single room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter