bed wetting.....

scampbunny

<font color=darkorchid>The most fab of surprises!<
me again

as it gets closer, i find more and more things to worry about!!

ds2 has again started wetting the bed.... he isnt dry at night and has never been (part of autism/learning difficulties) but usually his pull up contains the wee, but past few nights hes soaking the bed & duvet......

now, yes, i can take the mattress pads BUT they wont protect the duvet, they wont protect the sheet, only the mattress (and only if he wees on the pad - they aint big lol)

so - has anyone every had the issue of a child wetting the bed, and if so, what did u do and how were the hotel??

obviously, im gonna do my hardest to eliminate an accident, but wondered what to do!!!!

I know you have sort off a mattress protection things you can buy at stores. They're plastic beneath so leak free but I don't know where you can get them outside of Belgium We buy them at Kruidvat but I'm assuming we've only got those in Belgium. :sad2:

I'd try at the pharmacist. They'll probably be able to provide you with something effective.

We have what we call a "rubber sheet" in the US. It is material with rubber on the inside and flannel on both sides. So it is soft to the touch, but waterproof. We can buy it at baby stores, but also at fabric stores. We have one big enough (1m x 1m) to cover most accidents. I used to take it with us when we travel. (we don't need it anymore!!)

We have had more than one kid wet the bed at a hotel. I have simply told the front desk so that they know they will need to change the duvet and mattress pad, as well as the sheets. If you are in or near Disney, I would hope that this happens enough that they are prepared to take care of it!

This happened with us last year but with sons bottle of milk dripping ( he fell asleep holding it ) and all I did was pull the sheet off the bed and put it in the bath along with the wet towels for the housekeeping. By the time we got back from the park, the bed was freshly made.

How about a couple of towels under him? I sometimes have to use them if I run of bed mats as sons nappy leaks sometimes too.

thanks for all that.... we do have a mattress protect at home - which is like a plastic sheet - but obviously taking that means stripping the bed after he gets up (at 4am) to put in case, and then gettin back on bed after we get home (11pm) plus its quite heavy....

donald ducks wife - that is good to know - that they will change the sheet if in the bath..... its certainly a help knowing that..... and yes, cud use a towel also to help.....

i am hopin that due to use gettin in late and gettin up early that he wont wee in the night much......

thanks again, and if anyone else has experience/ideas pls let me know xx

Ikea do a thin mattress protector, it's probably only 50 cm by 100 or so but they don't take up much room and they're quite cheap at about £4 or so. I worried about DD the first time we stayed at the Cheyenne and couldn't lift her to take her to the toilet as she was in the top bunk bed so stuck a nappy on her but she was fine. I noticed the beds there have always had a mattress protector on the top half of the bed. Maybe they look at the kids ages and fit them if under a certain age or maybe they are always there. It must happen a lot. In fact, there was a thread a few years ago about the cleaners being annoyed where people didn't strip the beds if their kids had wet them.

I checked Ikea before posting and found this http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40143304, £4.99 and 70 by 100 cm. They do work up to a point, nappy plus this would be ok I'd imagine. This assumes you are near an Ikea though...

Have u tried the pampers bed mats? U usually put them under the bed sheets but they are nice and soft so u could lie him on them, if he wets u can just pull it from under him and put a fresh one under so u don't disturb him. Plus they are nice and light for your case.

they have flannel sheet protectors that come in a crib size so I got four and sewed them together to lay over hte mattress of a full size bed under the sheets on top the mattress pad. they are flannel on one side and rubber on the other and make no noise like say plastic would. some may call them lap pads but here in our Meijers store or wal mart they have them in cribs size.. they wash really well and I can take with me when we have my grandchild along..they cost abiut $6 for two sheets in a package

Yeah I forgot to mention the Huggies and pampers bed mats. I usually just lay my son right on top of one, and that usually saves the sheets

nikki when ash used to wet the bed at home i would have a plastic sheet to save the mattress but i wouldn't go to the bother of bringing one on holidays. if he does wet the bed just strip the sheets off off the bed, either ring housekeeping or leave a note saying a child has wet the bed and they will change it. these things happen so don't worry about it, he wont bet he only child to have wet the bed.

thanks sonya :) thats kinda what i was hoping for...

i might take a couple of the bed mats (we have lots) but we r very limited on weight due to only cabin bags so i cant take lots of stuff, even if its only a lil heavy, it all adds up to the weight.... even tho we have a letter from paediatrician saying we might have heavy bags, i dont trust the airlines to accept that....

this time in 2 days....... and im still not packed lol:rolleyes1

these things happen so don't worry about it, he wont bet he only child to have wet the bed.

I agree - with the amount of children that stay at the hotels this must be a common occurrence and they must be used to dealing with it.

My DD used to suffer terribly with nosebleeds and if one happened in the night it would look like she'd been attacked with an axe. I was always worried about it happening when we were away but the one time it did I just stripped the beds, put the sheet in the bath and left a note apologising.

Hi

Only just seen this thread as we got back late last night and had been unable to access the internet for the last couple of days where we were staying.

We have a child with similar difficulties and I thought I would share with you our coping strategies. DS wears pull-ups during the day but larger nappy-shaped Tena pads at night. These are pretty good but certainly not full-proof. On top of the hotel (bottom) sheet I place two Pampers bed mats, slightly overlapping them, which pretty much covers the length of the bed, then I put a quick-drying poly-cotton sheet I bring from home on top which I then wash out if necessary by hand in the bathroom and dry during the day over the shower rail. Now I know to just leave the hotel sheet in the bath along with the towels I may not bother to bring any of my own next time.

On occasions when the duvet as well has been wet I have always rung down to reception and they have sent someone from housekeeping up to immediately remove and replace it. The biggest bind I find is that if DS is not wet and I leave my carefully laid bed mats in place for the next night, the cleaners come and remove them anyway when they make the beds. They did this even before I brought my own sheets as well so this is why I started laying the whole lot on top of their sheet then whisking it all off each morning and replacing it at night.

Maybe for a smaller child laying them directly on the mats would work but I find the only way they stay in place overnight is to have a sheet over them. As I said, two pads slightly overlapping to cover the whole length also works much better for us and hasn't let us down yet.

Don't worry about the hotel though, I am sure this is a much more common problem than people realise.

Just noticed you are going tomorrow so good luck and have a fabulous time! :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter