Bed Bugs Anyone??

ChrystalUnicorn

Mouseketeer
Hey,
We are headed to Pop Century in a few days. Have there been any mention of bed bugs at this resort this year? There was some talk of it last year when we visited. I searched the room before bringing in our luggage we didn't have any problems. I am bug phobic and would like some peace of mind that the rooms at Pop are safe.
Thanks!!

In 40 years we have never had a Bed Bug Problem at any Disney Resort. Haven't been to Pop lately but was at several others this year so far, no problems
You can check http://bedbugregistry.com for updates

Any hotel can be susceptible to bed bugs at any time, nation-wide outbreak or not. Having worked at a hotel, it's much more common than you may think so I take the web sites with reports about bed bugs with a grain of salt. They sell bed bug sprays in stores, some stores even have travel size, and I spray everything down with it when I get there and before I leave. Also, keep your suitcase off the bed and the floor (use luggage rack if available) and that will help prevent you from bringing anything home :thumbsup2

In 40 years we have never had a Bed Bug Problem at any Disney Resort. Haven't been to Pop lately but was at several others this year so far, no problems
You can check http://bedbugregistry.com for updates

No problems reported that I have seen. The bed bug situation is much more likely to be encountered in New York City hotels, according to many posters.

I have never encountered the bed bug issue at Disney or elsewhere.

Here's a few tips if you are worried:

When you enter the room 1st thing, open the drawers in the dresser and night stand. Look along the seams of the wood - bed bugs are large enough to see most times. They like cool, darker places so if you have them in the room - most likely they will be there.

Another spot to check is between the mattress and headboard of the bed. Again, it's cooler and darker there and you'll be able to see them.

If you do find them, remove your luggage and yourself from the room and call the front desk.

Thanks everyone, I plan to bring a flashlight and do a good check before unpacking.
Thanks for the link to the bed bug registry.

I was at pop last week, never had an issues with any bugs at all. not even a mosquito in my room. :) Also, never had problems in past stays at Pop either.

Ugh! I should not have opened that bedbug link.
So let's just say you find bedbugs in the room you are assigned; do you just talk to the manager and ask to be moved specifically to a bedbug-free room?
What if there is no availability in the category you booked? Does Disney WANT guests to let them know or do they already know which rooms have bedbugs and hope you won't notice or say anything?

Ugh! I should not have opened that bedbug link.
So let's just say you find bedbugs in the room you are assigned; do you just talk to the manager and ask to be moved specifically to a bedbug-free room?
What if there is no availability in the category you booked? Does Disney WANT guests to let them know or do they already know which rooms have bedbugs and hope you won't notice or say anything?

Disney keeps on top of everything, including bed bugs (if they actually exist). Disney would not risk their reputation in covering up something like that - seriously they are very diligent in all aspects.

IF you manage to happen to get a room with them, you should be responsible enough to report it immediately to the management.

Sadly, a few people have posted on travel websites that they had bedbugs at Disney, because they were "bitten by something around their ankles." It turned out what they really had was what they refer to as "golfer's rash." It is caused by the reflection of the pavement on your ankles and causes red welts and rashes, if you are very fair skinned.

It was too late for them to delete the post and unfortunately the information is out there.

Take some of it with a grain of salt.

I'm sorry, but we must be realistic when dealing with the bedbug issue.:thumbsup2

The US has a bedbug infestation and while it is bad in NY, it is nearly as bad in FL. It doesn't matter how many people stay at a resort and do not encounter bedbugs - there have been many reports of bedbugs at POP as well as other Disney Resorts. Disney is not the very best at dealing with the issue, even if some DISers want to believe that. Also, although one guest might not encounter bedbugs, there is no way to know if the next guest brought them along and left the critters in the room. Disney will treat a room if BB are found by a guest or by housekeeping (happens both ways). Disney get the guests a new room, treat all the clothing and give a clothing allowance for the gift shop to hold them over until their come back from treatment; They definitely do a better by their guests than some hotels.

The best thing to do is be prepared! ::yes:: Go to bedbugcentral.com and read about how best to protect your family. If the things hitchhike home, it is very costly & time consuming to deal with and rid one's home.

It is not just hotels, but airlines (& stores, movie theatres etc). We are cautious - pack all clothing in plastic bags, then when arriving at a hotel or Inn, leave luggage outside, do a careful check of not just beds, but headboards etc. We put each piece of luggage in a giant ziploc bag with handles and zip it shut for the duration. If the drawers do not have any white dust we might leave our clothing in the drawers, but in plastic bags.

When arriving home we put the luggage into a plastic bag before putting it in the car, then either leave it in the trunk or the garage for several days in the heat (or cold if winter). We take each plastic bag of dirty laundry directly the washer and wash/dry before taking anything into the house.

Others can laugh, but we do not have upwards of $7,000 to have BB's removed from our home. :sad2:

I'm hoping it will be sooner rather than later that a way is found to rid the US of the things completely. :thumbsup2

It's just nothing I get concerned with...and I travel to WDW twice a year. I go into my room, check out along the mattress, along the baseboards. If it all looks clear, I'm good to go.
It's got nothing to do with cleanliness. Yes, Disney wants to know about it if someone suspects an issue. They have the means to eradicate the bugs. The issue is that this country no longer allows the use of pesticides that do a really good job of killing them. And with so many people traveling from all over the world, into Florida, it makes it even more difficult. For heaven's sake, your suitcase could be put on top of another suitcase on your flight home. And that other suitcase may have been in a room at a completely different hotel in Orlando, but it has bedbugs on it. Now...you have bedbugs. And you are more than likely going to blame Disney for it.

Hi TA friends!

LDZZZZ TA'er Here! :goodvibes :thumbsup2

Harlem girl- We have been down there a few times at the same time, I rembmer from TA :rotfl:

Hey. My next outing is in December. The 23rd to the 29th. Then onto Disney Dream.

As for the bedbugs, Disney as well as any establishment will do what they can to prevent them. Its a widespread problem. They just had an article here in NY today about the problem in schools. Guess its another thing we have to learn to live with.

But when I travel, I put all my clothing in those plastic storage bags that you use to take all air out to allow more room in suitcase. Then I put the dirty clothes in another bag as a laundry and wash my clothes and then repack in the storage bag before going home. I also keep my suitcase off the floor in the closet on the luggage rack.

Thanks for the great tips and info I will be sure to do a extra through check and not put my luggage on the floor in the closet.

No chain can prevent, but I am sure it is on top of list that Disney takes care of quickest as it would do them great harm and is super time sensative.

I would think any romm that had a real issue would be fumigated at once as it would keep down further rooms from being infected.

my dh travels weekly for work so this is a big fear of ours. We have a deal that if he ever gets strange bites at a hotel, he'll strip before entering the house and burn everything including the suitcase!

You can google and youtube ways to inspect for bed bugs. I am always checking my own mattresses and furniture.

I am also hugely susceptible to bites - so I have bites and itches when no one else in my family has them! exasperating! Just yesterday I had bites on my ankles, so the poor cat got a thorough inspection for fleas and I vacuumed everything even though I was at a park with the kids all day and surely got the bites while outside - but I'm a lunatic!

Any hotel can be susceptible to bed bugs at any time, nation-wide outbreak or not. Having worked at a hotel, it's much more common than you may think so I take the web sites with reports about bed bugs with a grain of salt. They sell bed bug sprays in stores, some stores even have travel size, and I spray everything down with it when I get there and before I leave. Also, keep your suitcase off the bed and the floor (use luggage rack if available) and that will help prevent you from bringing anything home :thumbsup2

PLEASE donot be fooled by the "bed bug spray" you can buy in the stores. Although you may kill ANY kind of bug if you spray it directly, these products will not protect you from bed bugs!!! I work for a pest control company and can tell you that the only way to protect yourself is being aware and informed of what to look for. If you do find them in your room ask to be moved right away. If you bring them home with you contact a repuatble company to help you ASAP because they will not go away on their own. I am not sure what is in the spays you buy but please be careful of what you use and where you spay it. please read the directions and DONOT use more than it states on the bottle.

Believe me is Disney finds them(and they have) they will take care of the issue right away, they donot want them there either! Bed bugs can be found at a run down hole in the wall to a 5 star high end hotel.

Hi, I read this thread and freaked out a little.

I ended up watching a how - to video on checking for bugs and not getting them. I think that made it worse!:eek:

Anyway, that lead to me find a video on dogs that can come to your hotel (since they are service dogs) and sniff for bugs. They are 99% accurate and according to the company (I called them and asked), Disney uses them all the time. So they will let you have them come to your room if you want.

Problem is it is really expensive. But just in case you are interested....

the info is 1888.920.-BUGS (2847)
They are in Palm Beach, Miami, Martin County, Orlando and accross the country. To drive to Orlando the visit will be a minimum of $400 or up to $600, due to drive time. Check only takes 15 minutes but it is 99% accurate and has been tested by Florida universities.K9 P.I. Bed Bug Scent Detection

My husband and I are not doing it because we don't want to pay the money, but I swear if something happens, next time we will. I made my DH promise he will humor me, since we aren't getting the dog, and be careful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter