becoming a staying off-site believer!

What are YES tickets?

YES tickets stands for Youth Educational Services..and Disney now allows individual enrollment (used to be for groups of kids, eg. Youth groups, scout troops, etc) and you get an AWESOME discount for tickets...so you can enroll your kid(s) in a 3 hour class that takes place at Disney during your vacation (they are various choices, ocean, wild animals, chemistry, animation, etc) and your party receives a great deal on tix! Now, I have received conflicting info on how many tix you can get. I have 2 kids and then there's me and DH, when I was going to enroll just 1 child in the program, I was told I could still get tix for the other 3 of us. However, on the site, it says you may get 1 extra ticket for each child enrolled...I DO believe you can get the tix for everyone in your party, probably within reason..not enroll 1 child and get 10 more tix!

Also OP...I do believe that the SPACE is the biggest benefit to staying offsite...I would never even consider a 1 or 2 bdrm at Disney as there's NO WAY we could ever spring for that...but for a few bucks more than we're paying at a value, we could have gotten a really nice 1 bdrm off-site. SPACE for your money is definitely the biggest difference between on and off-site.

Didn't know anyone could use the kids clubs. Man....I have been missing out.

When I compare on site to off site I like to compare the same size accommodations. To me, a one room hotel is not the same thing as a 2 BR resort with washer/dryer, kitchen, living room etc. We love being able to put our children to sleep in their own room and staying up watching t.v, having wine etc.

We don't really cook that much. We do quick breakfasts (waffles or pancakes with fruit) and will pack sandwiches and bottled water to save a bundle on food. A loaf of bread, lunch meat and cheese is the same price as 1 CS meal and we have lunches for the week. We will get a couple of the frozen appetizers for nights at the condo.

No more can't get a seat at the pool because everyone has the towels.

We rent a car staying on site anyway. I like to be on my own time schedule and having a guaranteed seat. I can't stand just waiting around for the next bus. I am just impatient I guess. ;)The driving at WDW is a piece of cake to us and we have the AAA Diamond parking pass and have never had a problem getting one of their parking spaces.

Off-site and eating the way we want at Disney Restaurants works out better for us. The $577 savings will be used for $238 tips. The remaining $338 can be used to rent a car & pay for parking if we wish. Highly doubtful. We're more likely to take cabs (if shuttle doesn't work out) since we don't hop around all day or back to the resort for mid-afternoon break.

So *technically* it works out to a "break even". However, we get to eat more TS meals and have a much larger resort with those 2 bedrooms, living room, balcony, full kitchen (if we want to use it) and washer & dryer. So far it's worth off-site to me.

I think this is where you are losing people. Most people don't necessarily care if they have the kitchen and extra space if it means they are off property. It's apples and oranges. I could see it more if you HAD to stay DVC.... The kitchen doesn't mean a whole lot with the number of meals you are figuring in. I think you have more of a following of people who are looking at going cheaper. So when you were able to save $1000 it seemed to be a point to think about.
For us though I don't want to stay off property but not have a car and as you mentioned with that figured in it's break even. So really not a savings at all.

It really is all about what you are looking for though.

so you can enroll your kid(s) in a 3 hour class that takes place at Disney during your vacation (they are various choices, ocean, wild animals, chemistry, animation, etc) and your party receives a great deal on tix!

Also OP...I do believe that the SPACE is the biggest benefit to staying offsite...I would never even consider a 1 or 2 bdrm at Disney as there's NO WAY we could ever spring for that...but for a few bucks more than we're paying at a value, we could have gotten a really nice 1 bdrm off-site. SPACE for your money is definitely the biggest difference between on and off-site.

Didn't know anyone could use the kids clubs. Man....I have been missing out.

When I compare on site to off site I like to compare the same size accommodations. To me, a one room hotel is not the same thing as a 2 BR resort with washer/dryer, kitchen, living room etc. We love being able to put our children to sleep in their own room and staying up watching t.v, having wine etc.

The classes look great, don't they! My DD was thrilled to see Cirque du Soleil on the list. I'll accompany our DD and my husband will go with our DS. From the descriptions of the classes, I could see paying for a second class for each child.

I wish I had remembered the kids club last year. OMG, we could have used it!

I have to say, yes- SPACE! The kids were driving us nuts and my husband was driving me nuts. He even said he would have rathered less days because of the room. :scared1:
In fact, he had me run the numbers on 2 rooms at POP and is seriously considering switching from POR to POP so he and DS will be in 1 room, and myself & DD in the other. ;)

I'll gladly shell out the extra for 2 rooms at POP before losing Disney Days. That's when I started looking at Bonnet Creek. I bet when we go back in 2013 I can get him to agree to 2-3 weeks once he realizes the space we'll have! It will be pure :cloud9: to let the kids watch a movie in their own bedroom (and/or go to sleep), while we stay up in the living room, have a drink on the balcony, do laundry, etc.

Best part is, we won't be paying any more money than we would to stay on-site. Could save more if we would eat out less & cook more. Which I would do if staying 3 weeks.

Most people don't necessarily care if they have the kitchen and extra space if it means they are off property. It's apples and oranges. I could see it more if you HAD to stay DVC.... The kitchen doesn't mean a whole lot with the number of meals you are figuring in. I think you have more of a following of people who are looking at going cheaper. So when you were able to save $1000 it seemed to be a point to think about.

For us though I don't want to stay off property but not have a car and as you mentioned with that figured in it's break even. So really not a savings at all.

Turns out the $1,000 savings was really $800. I forgot to figure in resort discount when doing my Disney math. :rolleyes1

However, that still IS a valid savings. You can't say it's NOT a savings. I just chose to spend that savings on different things instead. (ie, tip money, taxis, etc). That's how it became "break even" for us. If we decided to rent a car, are we really going to spend that entire $800 on a car rental for 10 days? Not likely...

Not only that - how many people looking at going cheaper are suddenly going to ADD more money for food? If you look at the figures - we *increased* our OOP meals for staying off-site. Most people I'm sure won't spend that amount of money! So, even more savings for them.

And yes, I don't care about the kitchen either. Unless we were staying for 3 weeks. Then I'd use it. It's the 2 bdrms, living room, balcony and washer & dryer I'm in love with!

Truth be told - I just don't understand why people (not just you, but many others) insist Bonnet Creek is not on property. It's not a Disney resort sure, but it is still on Disney property - right between Caribbean Beach Resort and Typhoon Lagoon.

What it really comes down to - is people will never truly know what works best for them until they do the math for their family & way of vacationing. Unfortunately, the problem is how LONG it takes to do the math, consider different scenarios, and make sure everything is taken into account. So naturally, most people don't bother and just assume what will work. I spent the better part of a year wondering *why* some people love non-Disney resorts so much. Now I know.

OP, I don't know which BC resort you've picked, but I think you will be very happy. I've been in several of the BC hotels and they are beautiful. They feel much more deluxe than most of WDW's resorts.

By the way, the bus to the parks shows movies!

Good to know, thanks!! I missed your post yesterday - sorry. For us, I'm looking at the Wyndham BC Resort on Disney property.

We've stayed off-site for many trips and they were absolutely amazing. We stayed at huge resorts with beautiful pools, lazy rivers, restaurants, etc. It was just a short drive over to WDW or Universal. We had many more choices for restaurants. And, we had a huge 3 bedroom villa with a full kitchen. It's just a matter of choice but it's a really great option and you can save a ton of money.

The thing that makes onsite worth it to us is the transportation. My kids are teenagers (16 and 14) and are now old enough to go out on their own a bit. I can let them do that because the Disney busses can get them back to the resort easily enough. Offsite would not work and we do not rent a car.

I am also just a lover of Disney resorts. I know they are high priced and for sure not the best "value" but I love the theming, the pools, just all of it. Including the Mickey wake up calls and Mickey waffles. Call me a sentimental fool I guess. I also love the dining options at the values and mods, havnig a big food court with lots of options works very well for my family. I don't know of many if any offsite places that have those food couts, heck even the deluxe's don't have them and I missed them when I used to stay deluxe or dvc. So to me its not just the accomodations or the size of the room/unit, I like the theming a Disney resort offers. Even if its over the top icons or Brady Bunch style Hawaii, I just enjoy it and am willing to pay for it and would miss it if I stayed offsite.

And EMH does work for us, but only the late night ones. Last month we did four late night emh's at MK, staying until either 2:00 or 3:00 a.m. The lines for all rides but Space Mountain and Peter Pan were non existant. So very worth it in our opinion and very well policed. We had to show our room keys at every ride until about the last hour, then the cm's didn't ask to see them.

As for the space issue of an offiste two bedroom, that would be nice. On the other hand, I am fine with a standard hotel room, its only a week or two. Now if I had younger kids that napped, I'd be all over larger accomodations. We used to own DVC and the washer and dryer, space and a full kitchen were all nice although I never used the kitchen for anything other than cereal and to store beverages. But it was nice to have, the kitchen table was so convenient for dh's computer and for the kids to eat breakfast on.

So for us right now, in this stage of our life, onsite is far and above the best. And with the discounts I have been getting, plus magical express, its going to save me little if any moving offsite. I'd be getting more space for sure.

Now when I am a grandma someday, then the whole napping thing comes back into play and I might very well want some more space.

To me Bonnet Creek is offsite located on Disney property. That is the one I will definitely try out someday when we do take the offsite plunge.

T
Turns out the $1,000 savings was really $800. I forgot to figure in resort discount when doing my Disney math. :rolleyes1

However, that still IS a valid savings. You can't say it's NOT a savings. I just chose to spend that savings on different things instead. (ie, tip money, taxis, etc). That's how it became "break even" for us. If we decided to rent a car, are we really going to spend that entire $800 on a car rental for 10 days? Not likely...

Not only that - how many people looking at going cheaper are suddenly going to ADD more money for food? If you look at the figures - we *increased* our OOP meals for staying off-site. Most people I'm sure won't spend that amount of money! So, even more savings for them.

And yes, I don't care about the kitchen either. Unless we were staying for 3 weeks. Then I'd use it. It's the 2 bdrms, living room, balcony and washer & dryer I'm in love with!

Truth be told - I just don't understand why people (not just you, but many others) insist Bonnet Creek is not on property. It's not a Disney resort sure, but it is still on Disney property - right between Caribbean Beach Resort and Typhoon Lagoon.

What it really comes down to - is people will never truly know what works best for them until they do the math for their family & way of vacationing. Unfortunately, the problem is how LONG it takes to do the math, consider different scenarios, and make sure everything is taken into account. So naturally, most people don't bother and just assume what will work. I spent the better part of a year wondering *why* some people love non-Disney resorts so much. Now I know.

I'm not so sure about the car rental... they are MIGHTY expensive... for a week last year in a van we paid $525! It was ridiculous!
I totally agree that it is a savings though. We did off site in Sept of last year. For the savings... but when I figured it out versus free dining for us we saved very little by the time we added the car rental and such. (It was like $300 I didn't include tips at the end when I looked at it and left out stuff like that.) We had no problems with no EMH since we have a 4 and 2 year old. It just became difficult to deal with the fact that I was on vacation and dealing with the same stuff I deal with at home. (IE. picking up multiple rooms, doing laundry, cooking some) We enjoyed multiple rooms but I was just on edge if not more cause I was afraid to leave my kids alone in a room that was child proofed. I enjoyed the resort and I actually think with the kind of savings you are talking about I might try it again. But for $200 I'll deal with smaller and have it all taken care of for me ;)
We went back in May and stayed at BC/Poly and it was much better.... but again now we are talking apples and oranges... cause for the savings I was talking about I was staying at ASM. Obviously it would have been a HUGE savings v. BC/Poly.
I think people say it's not on property cause you don't get the perks... not the location.

What I did was make up 2 columns. On-site for one, off-site for the other. I used Disney's website to price out on-site.

$1,340.62 - 9 nights POR in Sept (updated to include current 15% room summer discount - nothing out for fall yet)
$ 55.00 - mousekeeping & ME tips
$1,419.65 - 4 - 9 day WP&M park tickets (2 adults, 1 D adult, 1 kid)
$1,349.64 - DDP (9 ts meals, 9 cs meals, 9 snacks - per person)
$4,164.91

Off-site was more difficult. I obtained a 9 night stay price (Sept) from 5starresorts first. That was easy. Then I had to re-create our Disney internary completely for staying off-site. Plot in all new meals, etc. The majority of our meals are eating on-site at Disney restaurants/resorts.

$ 690.00 - 9 nights at Bonnet Creek in Sept (same dates as Disney)
$ 129.00 - Mears round-trip transportation to Bonnet Creek & airport
$ 751.68 - 4 - 8 day PH & WP tickets (comes automatically with PH) YES tickets
$1,790.47 - 14 TS, 5 CS, 24 snacks, plus incls $200 for snacking/drinking at Epcot
$3,361.15

That's how I came up with the savings - $804 re-adjusted. Minus $238 in tips for TS meals. Still ahead $566. Which we can then use for cab fare if we wish. No way we'll spend $566 in cab fare.

Is that 14 TS meals per person? If so, that is WAY TOO low. You're budgeting $50/day per person? Not happening...unless you eat like little birdies.

If not, you need to compare apples to apples because you are getting 36 TOTAL TS meals with the DDP

What I did was make up 2 columns. On-site for one, off-site for the other. I used Disney's website to price out on-site.

$1,340.62 - 9 nights POR in Sept (updated to include current 15% room summer discount - nothing out for fall yet)
$ 55.00 - mousekeeping & ME tips
$1,419.65 - 4 - 9 day WP&M park tickets (2 adults, 1 D adult, 1 kid)
$1,349.64 - DDP (9 ts meals, 9 cs meals, 9 snacks - per person)
$4,164.91

Off-site was more difficult. I obtained a 9 night stay price (Sept) from 5starresorts first. That was easy. Then I had to re-create our Disney internary completely for staying off-site. Plot in all new meals, etc. The majority of our meals are eating on-site at Disney restaurants/resorts.

$ 690.00 - 9 nights at Bonnet Creek in Sept (same dates as Disney)
$ 129.00 - Mears round-trip transportation to Bonnet Creek & airport
$ 751.68 - 4 - 8 day PH & WP tickets (comes automatically with PH) YES tickets
$1,790.47 - 14 TS, 5 CS, 24 snacks, plus incls $200 for snacking/drinking at Epcot
$3,361.15

That's how I came up with the savings - $804 re-adjusted. Minus $238 in tips for TS meals. Still ahead $566. Which we can then use for cab fare if we wish. No way we'll spend $566 in cab fare.

I may be missing something.. but I don't understand how you're "pricing" 14 table service, 5 quick service and 24 snacks for staying off site.. are you just estimating?? :confused:

The thing that makes onsite worth it to us is the transportation. My kids are teenagers (16 and 14) and are now old enough to go out on their own a bit. I can let them do that because the Disney busses can get them back to the resort easily enough. Offsite would not work and we do not rent a car.

Totally makes sense! :thumbsup2 Our kids are young (12 & 7) so we don't have to worry about that. Yet. ;)

I am also just a lover of Disney resorts. I know they are high priced and for sure not the best "value" but I love the theming, the pools, just all of it. Including the Mickey wake up calls and Mickey waffles. Call me a sentimental fool I guess. I also love the dining options at the values and mods, havnig a big food court with lots of options works very well for my family. I don't know of many if any offsite places that have those food couts, heck even the deluxe's don't have them and I missed them when I used to stay deluxe or dvc. So to me its not just the accomodations or the size of the room/unit, I like the theming a Disney resort offers. Even if its over the top icons or Brady Bunch style Hawaii, I just enjoy it and am willing to pay for it and would miss it if I stayed offsite.

The theming is why I choose Bonnet Creek. Looks beautiful with great pools. I have to admit, I'm not ever going to consider staying at a place like Best Western (to pull out a name). Too ordinary, KWIM?

As for dining - Disney all the way! Have to eat at the Disney restaurants. It's part of the experience / vacation. :goodvibes That's why my food costs is so high. ;)

And EMH does work for us, but only the late night ones. Last month we did four late night emh's at MK, staying until either 2:00 or 3:00 a.m. The lines for all rides but Space Mountain and Peter Pan were non existant. So very worth it in our opinion and very well policed. We had to show our room keys at every ride until about the last hour, then the cm's didn't ask to see them.

Never ever doing late EMH with our kids again. Until they are older like your kids. :sad2: They don't handle late nights well.

As for the space issue of an offiste two bedroom, that would be nice. On the other hand, I am fine with a standard hotel room, its only a week or two. Now if I had younger kids that napped, I'd be all over larger accomodations. We used to own DVC and the washer and dryer, space and a full kitchen were all nice although I never used the kitchen for anything other than cereal and to store beverages. But it was nice to have, the kitchen table was so convenient for dh's computer and for the kids to eat breakfast on.

So for us right now, in this stage of our life, onsite is far and above the best. And with the discounts I have been getting, plus magical express, its going to save me little if any moving offsite. I'd be getting more space for sure.

You know, you're right! It depends on the stage of a family's life. Once our kids 15/16 (around there) - I'm sure we'll end up back on-site for the convience of Disney Transportation and EMH.

Now when I am a grandma someday, then the whole napping thing comes back into play and I might very well want some more space.

To me Bonnet Creek is offsite located on Disney property. That is the one I will definitely try out someday when we do take the offsite plunge.

I'm not so sure about the car rental... they are MIGHTY expensive... for a week last year in a van we paid $525! It was ridiculous!

Wow, that's expensive! I was thinking more around $300 for a car. I have not looked into car rentals. If we really stay 2-3 weeks in 2013 (my hope & dream :rotfl:) than we may need one because I want to do other places besides Disney.

I totally agree that it is a savings though. We did off site in Sept of last year. For the savings... but when I figured it out versus free dining for us we saved very little by the time we added the car rental and such. (It was like $300 I didn't include tips at the end when I looked at it and left out stuff like that.) We had no problems with no EMH since we have a 4 and 2 year old. It just became difficult to deal with the fact that I was on vacation and dealing with the same stuff I deal with at home. (IE. picking up multiple rooms, doing laundry, cooking some) We enjoyed multiple rooms but I was just on edge if not more cause I was afraid to leave my kids alone in a room that was child proofed. I enjoyed the resort and I actually think with the kind of savings you are talking about I might try it again. But for $200 I'll deal with smaller and have it all taken care of for me ;)

We went back in May and stayed at BC/Poly and it was much better.... but again now we are talking apples and oranges... cause for the savings I was talking about I was staying at ASM. Obviously it would have been a HUGE savings v. BC/Poly.

I think people say it's not on property cause you don't get the perks... not the location.

Mmm... that's true. I was thinking more in terms not having to drive 5, 10, 15 minutes to reach Disney 'cause you're already on Disney property.

My comments in blue!

The YES tickets are apparently part of the big savings. I see the OP is comparing YES tickets to MYW Water Park and More tickets. I assume one can get YES tickets while staying onsite (they'd have to give up the dining plan, but offsite can't get a dining plan anyway).

We usually rent a van for a week and end up paying between $500-$600.00. It's quite expensive!

I think the onsite/offsite debate is one of those things that will never be decided. Both sides have very valid points, but it really boils down to what your family is looking for in a vacation. Some people compare price, some compare space, some compare amenities, some compare convenience/location - and there's no "right" answer to any of those things. Each family has different vacation requirements, and should do what works best for their family.

Take me, for example. I live about 20 minutes from Disney, on the west side of Orlando. My house is as close as many "off property" resorts. So I prefer to stay on property. I like the feeling of being so totally submurged in Disney that I forget my neighborhood is lurking right outside the gates. I have my car with me, but I use Disney transport so I don't have to deal with traffic. Some trips I dine all QS, some trips I mix TS and QS, and some trips I book with a kitchen/kitchenette and have the majority of meals in the room. It all depends on the trip - how long it is, the time of year, etc. I don't do the same thing every time, other than staying on property. It may be value for a weekend, and a month or so later, deluxe or DVC for a week. I do what works best for me, both financially and for enjoyment. Are there great off property resorts? Of course there are. Just not for my needs.

There are so many variables that come in to play, on both sides, that it's easy to show saving money either way - depending on what you're comparing. Between all the ticket options, dining options, hotel options, package options - it's enough to make your mind spin like you're riding the Mad Tea Party! I say do what makes your family happy!

Having to have a rental van instead of a car changes this enormously. That van eats up almost everything we would save by staying off-site. We have done off-site when we had our own vehicle, but flying in, no way would staying off-site make any sense.

$690 for 9 nights at Bonnet Creek is unreal.

Can you please post the site that quoted you that?

I just can't believe that are charging $77 a night for a 2 BR suite.

The lowest I can find is $138 for a 1BR

We're going in December and for $77 a night I'd stay offsite!

We stayed at Bonnet Creek last year for 14 nights. It was our first time offiste after staying at WDW deluxe resorts for our previous 7 trips (8 to 10 night stays). It was a great place to stay and I would definitely stay there again.

We saved alot of money doing this. BUT, we have always rented a car since we have usually also stayed at Universal for several nights (last year, we avoided Universal) or spent time at other parks (SW, BG,) or went to the ocean. Full size car was $450 for two weeks. This also allows you to go to WalMart for soda and other food (we eat out for all meals except breakfast). The soda savings alone (8 bottles in backpack for a family of 4 means $15 less per day in the parks for soda or water ($20 for 8 sodas in the park minus about $5 to buy these at WalMart)) pay for half the car rental.

Bonnet Creek was $1,400 for 14 nights in August. Minimum for any deluxe last year (using an AP discount since I never received a 40% pin code) would have been $3,500 to $4,500 (we love the Poly, BW or YC, and the WL/AKL rooms are too small).

I bought an AP (extra $300) for 'free' parking and TIW ($75). If we had stayed onsite, I likely would have needed an AP to get a decent room discount. With a 10 and 12 year old, I would never have done the DDP (we had used the DDP when it used to be a good deal and my kids were not considered adults (10 years old for an adult still irritates more than anything else about WDW)).

In the end, we saved over $2,000 by staying at Bonnet Creek solely because of price of the room. We did nothing else different from prior trips (other than avoiding buffets because of the 'adult' issue). AND we had a great 2 bedroom condo with a washer/dryer, two showers, large balcony and large fridge.

Having to have a rental van instead of a car changes this enormously. That van eats up almost everything we would save by staying off-site. We have done off-site when we had our own vehicle, but flying in, no way would staying off-site make any sense.

The difference in a car and a van is amazing! :scared1: That was the first (and probably last) trip that we did with a van. Before that we could have fit everyone in a car... but now with a double stroller... luggage... and two BIG carseats plus grandma with us there was no way that we could have fit. I have to agree.... if we had looked at the price of car rentals in advance we probably would not have stayed off site because of it!

There are many, many debates about staying offsite versus onsite and like with choices in other parts of your life, no one will sway you over to the other side.

I've stayed onsite and offsite and the main reason for me is quite simple. (1) I can drive so when I stay offsite there's no Magical Express versus car rental thing to think about, (2) I have an Annual Pass so parking is free no matter what, (3) we stay at values when onsite so it's quite nice having a fridge offsite, (4) during the main holidays we just can't afford the onsite stuff.

We're so AC/DC it's amazing. I can give you 3,200 reasons for staying onsite and I can give you 3,200 reasons for staying offsite. This discussion will go nowhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter