Becoming a certified Disney Travel Agent?

n 80's I want to school to become a TA, with out no luck. I sent resumes to every single agency in and around my area when I gradated. No one would hire me without experience. Five years ago after being a stay at home Mom, I was hired at a cruise company. I HATED IT. I was on the phone the whole day. It turned out to be, not so what I expected. I was a sales rep. (AKA telemarketer) I tried to get into other agencies, thinking my experience with the cruise company would help. No one was hiring. I still consider becoming a TA, I looked into a couple of Disney only agency, as stated before they want a lot of money to come on board. Today it is very hard, as online travel is so easy to access.
For those who live near a AAA, they have a training program. But you have to go through a lot to get hired.

Carol, not sure why the TA rate was a rack rate. I'm a TA and we get a pretty good discount on Disney hotel rooms and some Disney cruises. Far from rack rate. They will also periodically send you specials, sometimes up to 60% off! Ticekts are another story, no great discount there.

Maybe he was one of the agents caught by the TA reverting back up to rack without warning. That can happen periodically and does. 2006 staff changes apparently affected more than a few agents. I know three who deposited WDW TA rates in Dec 2005, only to have it revert back up a few months later after the calendar year changed b/c the TA had reserved in 2006 with a 2005 card.
Never had that happen before, but I lost two rooms at the Poly for just that reason. once the rate reverted up, there was no availability left at TA code to re-instate it when 2006 card was faxed.
In 20+ years I hadn't seen anything like it happen and assume it was due to personnel changes that were announced around that that time.
If I wasn't so obsessive about looking at every email/fax I could have missed the notification and checked in months later to discover that I was now paying rack rate.
At ASM that wouldn't be SO awful, but at the Poly, talk about sticker shock... :scared1:
Thankfully I haven't heard from anyone who's had an issue with it recently but I do know there's a lot less availabilty at TA rates these days than ever before. I've paid rack, or close to it, to get the rooms/dates I needed more than once lately b/c TA rates were not available occassionally.

One thing that really shocks me though was the severe change to US/IOA TA ticket policies in the past two or three years.
It used to be that you could just show an iatan or CLIA card and they'd print you a one day pass at the gate each day of your stay. I admit it was very generous but it also inspired loyalty. Agents I know stayed longer on Universal property and consequently sold their hotels more.
Now, US TA tix are only available once to those who complete their online course. Last summer, I actually got much better UA/IOA ticket prices using discounts available to the general public than the current TA program would have provided at the time even if I had qualified.
Cruise lines have really cut down on promos for TAs as well. Not too many years ago, my fax machine hummed all day spitting out FAMS & such for cruises and resort destinations, now I hardly see them - and we're a CLIA agency with more cruise bookings than land packages.

If you're considering becoming a TA solely for the discounts, thinking you'll book a friend here and a family member there, you definitely don't want to have to invest any money to do it as the discounts are dwindling rapidly - not only for Disney venues but all over.

These days making real money as a TA really can be a job. LOL, not that it can't be fun - just now I know why they call it work too... :lmao:

Maybe he was one of the agents caught by the TA reverting back up to rack without warning. That can happen periodically and does. 2006 staff changes apparently affected more than a few agents. I know three who deposited WDW TA rates in Dec 2005, only to have it revert back up a few months later after the calendar year changed b/c the TA had reserved in 2006 with a 2005 card.
Never had that happen before, but I lost two rooms at the Poly for just that reason. once the rate reverted up, there was no availability left at TA code to re-instate it when 2006 card was faxed.

I was thinking that may be the case.
I know living in FL it's easier for me to use my FAM rates. I don't need to worry about airfare. Yes, the great rates aren't as plentiful as they used to be!!

The most likely reservation that a TA will screw up is his/her own!

Beware - you'll spend so much time making sure that other people have awesome vacations and sharing information on a daily basis that it's easy to overlook your own trip planning details.

Binny,
Thanks for the blog site. The word YTB makes my skin crawl.

You bet, we have to stick together on this one for sure!

I think a lot of the problem out there stems from misinformation as well. A lot of people think " why would I pay extra for a travel agent when I can do it myself?" Well a good TA is there to help and offer services and knows the ins and outs of how to get you a deal or make sure you are taken care of. The biggest thing though? You dont pay more than you would on your own. So why NOT use TA who can help you and be there to fight your battles for you if there is a need to?

You bet, we have to stick together on this one for sure!

I think a lot of the problem out there stems from misinformation as well. A lot of people think " why would I pay extra for a travel agent when I can do it myself?" Well a good TA is there to help and offer services and knows the ins and outs of how to get you a deal or make sure you are taken care of. The biggest thing though? You dont pay more than you would on your own. So why NOT use TA who can help you and be there to fight your battles for you if there is a need to?

Zackly!!
I just booked a RCCI Alaskan cruise for someone who has never booked through a TA before. I also sent her info about all the excursions and even booked some for her. I sent her restaurant menus and other stuff. These are non-comissionable, but part of a free service. She was impressed and it didn't cost her an extra cent!
It helps to book places I have been to. This is where the venders that give good FAM rates will make out. I'm so much more comfortable booking places I am familiar with.

oh definately I think we all are. I spent 2 years in Alaska working for HAL so I know the ins and outs there. China? Now thats a a different story. I really struggled through my last booking to China :scared1: but it got done and at MY time expense not the clients.

BTW kudos, once again, to Disney. They pulled a rabbit out of their hat today and made a miracle happen for my client I am REALLY pleased. The GM at Beach Club deserves a medal!

I am sorry if I hijacked the thread before, but I am interseted in reading all you have to say about it. It is definitely a good thread to help you decide if it is for you or not. I often wondered HOW you can make a decent living off of it-like that guy one I used years back.

Anyway, thanks for all the good info from people who have been there or are doing it now- Lori

(I once checked in at All Stars next to at "travel agent" he was ROYALLY PO'd that his "discount" was rack rate LOL!)

Well, probably because he never sent a copy of his IATAN card, which we must do within 24 hours of booking otherwise your reservation reverts to the rack rate.

(In order to get a IATAN card, you must be a FT or PT travel agent or an outside sales agent who makes at least $1,500.00 in commissions a year)

Well, probably because he never sent a copy of his IATAN card, which we must do within 24 hours of booking otherwise your reservation reverts to the rack rate.

(In order to get a IATAN card, you must be a FT or PT travel agent or an outside sales agent who makes at least $1,500.00 in commissions a year)

You need $5000 in a 12 month period to qualify for a IATAN card. ;)
Disney also has the right to refuse an agent discounts because of lack of sales of their product.

Honestly I agree with strict industry standards (i.e. sales performance and/or completed training) for agents to qualify for discounts. I can't tell you how many times I've been to a FAM or industry event and have witnessed YTB agents taking up valuable space that could be utilized by someone who actually SELLS travel and SERVICES clients, not someone who promotes MLM schemes and looks for as many freebies as possible. It really does make the industry look bad. Thank goodness for Royal Caribbean pulling the plug on them, and for IATA suspending their number.
There are still perks for true, hard working agents. And you can make money, but you have to work hard.
I'm going to Las Vegas next week, all expenses paid, thanks to a supplier I work closely with. Why? Because I worked hard, did a ton of business with them, and I earned it.

Stepping down from my soapbox now..........:rolleyes1

Thank goodness for Royal Caribbean pulling the plug on them, and for IATA suspending their number.
There are still perks for true, hard working agents. And you can make money, but you have to work hard.

I'm going to Las Vegas next week, all expenses paid, thanks to a supplier I work closely with. Why? Because I worked hard, did a ton of business with them, and I earned it.

Did they really? I sopped reading stuff about YTB, I heard about RCCI, but not about their IATA #.

I have a good friend going to the Vegas convention next week. I wish I could go.

Have you guys used Royal's new Cruisematch system yet? I had my first try at it today. Lets just say I'm not good at using new tools. lol

BTW kudos, once again, to Disney. They pulled a rabbit out of their hat today and made a miracle happen for my client I am REALLY pleased. The GM at Beach Club deserves a medal!

So glad to hear it! Aren't the BC/YC staff just super to work with?

I always try to book clients at the BC if they're looking at a deluxe just because they've been so wonderful when there's an issue. I've seen them bump folks up to concierge quite often if space is available to compensate for inconvience or arrange for an extra perk or two occassionally for a special occassion.
The GM also used to host a breakfast and invite random hotel guests along with VIPs several times a week. I'm guessing they still do but Joey's moved over to the YC now so I'm not certain.

Twenty-four hour (well, almost) mediation services with the experience to help smooth over the rough spots... That's just another service folks don't realize TAs can help them with both before and after the trip has begun.

Wish I was going to the conference next week too. No babysitter, and too many weekends without the kids already this year, to ask either DH or DM.
I'd love to sit in on the luxury sales sessions though. I'm sure they'll have lots of inspiring info. We may be small town here but that's a market that's really growing.

Have a Terrific Time to all who are able to go!

Ok- so what are the first steps - get a certificate and send out resumes to travel agents? I want to get started with a walk-in travel agency, not just internet agencies, like AAA. What do you do first to get started?? TIA!

Did they really? I sopped reading stuff about YTB, I heard about RCCI, but not about their IATA #.

I have a good friend going to the Vegas convention next week. I wish I could go.

Have you guys used Royal's new Cruisematch system yet? I had my first try at it today. Lets just say I'm not good at using new tools. lol

YTB has not been named persay, but I'd bet my last $ that they are one of the 4:
http://www.smartbrief.com/news/asta...0&copyid=78EB36C6-5C62-4EA1-8067-BCA51D201BB3

I'm probably one of the few that actually liked the old Cruisematch. I don't take well to learning new tools either, LOL.

You need $5000 in a 12 month period to qualify for a IATAN card. ;)

Absolutly correct!! You need $5,000.00 in commissions!
(I have no clue why I typed $1,500.00 I should stop dis-ing so late at night!)

It would be so much fun to have a TA Dis-board forum, wouldn't it?
We could discuss all this stuff and get feedback from other agents.
Do any of you know a site where TA's have a forum board?

I had signed up last year with Travel Planners International, I was pretty satisfied with their services, but I had to stop because the monthly fee of $40 was a little more than I wanted to spare on top of sharing commissions. I wasn't really making many sales in the beginning and it started to be an extra expense instead of a way to make extra money.

I would love to get back in if I could find a host agency with lower fees.

It would be so much fun to have a TA Dis-board forum, wouldn't it?
We could discuss all this stuff and get feedback from other agents.
Do any of you know a site where TA's have a forum board?

That would be kind of neat. Something like the CM forum. I could always create a Yahoo group for us. If there is enough interest I would do it.
Ours host agency has a forum for us. It's not very active, but it's a good place to have a question snwered.

I belong to a Disney TA only email list. I will let him know about this post and see what happens.

There are very active TA only boards out there, you have to be vouched for or pass a test to get in though. If youre interested PM me and I will pass your name on to the admin.

Is anyone still studying for their CTA? I started last year and had to get an extension.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter