Becca's Wish Trip........Update:September 2011.....Photo's....Sorta :)

aren't therapy dogs the BEST?! I really do believe they make a big difference in recovery! If the doctors are letting therapy dogs in to see Becca, then they must be satisfied that she is firmly on the road to recovery! :cheer2:

Hugs and prayers to all y'all!!!

:goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes

So good to hear from you Mandy. The therapy dog sounds wonderful. Glad the nurse is good-Becca deserves the best!

Since posting the message at 2.45pm Becca has been playing up.
Around 3.30pm she started to be really restless and running a bit of a temp. She was started on new meds yesterday evening and after a full day yesterday of holding her baseline sats at 72% she started to act up with her sats after being given the first dose of her new mad last night. She has been holding them today but lower than we would like but after 3.30pm i have been holding the blow by oxygen permenantly at her face just to keep her sats in the low 70's, take it away and she dips to the mid 50's. She will not tolerate the mask and struggles like you wouldnt believe when we try to put it on her, she will tolerate the blow by.....just.
The persons in charge of her meds think some of the properties may make her breath less deeply, they feel that it make take a few days for her body to equalise itself to the meds.
She has also started quivering?? It is weird, it looks as if the bed is on a slight vibrating mode and all her body is wobbling. The bed isnt vibrating, we checked.
They may have to restrain her tonight to administer oxygen as she needs it but will not tolerate the mask.
Will let you know what happens, she has been given some oxicodone and that makes heer sleep, that is on top of the Methadone she got about 2 hours ago and some Neurocotin.
We are turning our little girl into a real old druggie arent we?......Well whatever works now is what matters, we will deal with any drug issues when we are able to.

Love
Mandy

((Hugs, Mandy)) I am so sorry for all that you are going through. I hope that they can get Becca's meds worked out so she's comfortable and recuperating properly.

I also meant to ask if you are at Children's in Columbus? (I looked up Bysville and it looks like Columbus is the closest "big city.") We are just north of Columbus... so if you need anything, please let me know. If you PM me, I'd be happy to send you my phone number.

Hello Mandy, so nice to hear from you. Hang in there. We are all praying, but you know that. Two steps forward and one back is how it usually works. Hope they get her meds regulated soon. :grouphug: Prayers every day.

I'm sorry things aren't going so well tonight Mandy! :hug: :hug: :hug: I hope things will improve overnight. We are praying for you guys.

I hope she gets used to the new meds soon, and can have a restful sleep tonight. :hug: I know you probably don't have much time, but thanks for letting us know how she (and you) are doing! :lovestruc

Mandy covered most of this, but here is David's nightly update.

BECCA UPDATE

Day 14 - Falling Sats
This morning we found Bic with a new feeding tube. She had pulled it out during the night and they elected to replace the NJ with a NG tube to the stomach. Fortunately no harm done.

The neuro surgeon decided that the fluid from her brain was getting close to being ready to be capped off (so to speak). He raised the apparatus to give the equivalent intercranial pressure of 10 cm water. They would now be monitoring changes in flow plus any behavioral changes. Eventually, they will raise it to 20 cm water and if everything is working the way it should (no further build in pressure) and the brain is reabsorbing the fluid, they will remove the tube.

Bic tended to sleep more this morning with a bit of whining in between, but generally more relaxed. She had her massage this morning, but she wasn't interested. The speech therapist came with her dog. She stroked the dog and felt its ear. The therapist was not able to get much more from her than that.

Before mid day, Bic went down to have her PICC fitted. It was placed with on her arm and terminating above her heart. She had oxycodon before the procedure and that was enough to knock her out.

This afternoon, Bic was out for the count and was very unresponsive for physical therapy.

At about 3 pm, there was a change. She became much more agitated and her oxygen sats fell to very low levels. A mask was tried, but this only made things worse and her sats fell even lower. the only thing that would work was blow by oxygen, which meant continuously chasing her face.

Bic has also developed a tremble throughout her body. We are not sure if this is because of the neuro drugs or has something to do with her mind waking back up.

She doesn't want to communicate today at all. The best we get are whining moans. On the positive side, her legs seem to have settled and her arms are less active.

This afternoon, she was running a slight temperature of 100.6 and she almost stopped passing urine. I am pretty sure the catheter is bothering her, though when asked, she won't confirm that is true.

Tonight, she will probably have to sleep with a face mask on for oxygen and that means we will have to restrain her to make sure it stays there. That's really unfortunate, but it is going to be the only way to make it work.

We questioned the influence of the new drugs on this latest development and they confirmed that they would make breathing shallower, but as her body adjusted to them, it should go back to normal.

A dose of oxycodon this evening, the first since having the PICC, helped Bic have some restful sleep. She was sound asleep as we left for the night and hopefully will remain that way for a good while longer, because of the restraint threat!

The neuro team discussed the second abscess and said that they believed it would go away with the antibiotics without any additional treatment. They appologized for not mentioning it before, but thought they had already talked to us about it.

--------------------------
David​

It is now 12:36 am. I have read this thread in one sitting and fallen in love with this family.

I'm heading to bed, stopping to kiss my healthy, sleeping children. I'll say a prayer for them to continue to be healthy, a prayer for families who's children aren't and a prayer for children who have to go through things no child deserves. Tomorrow morning I'm going to not complain about all the small annoying things in my day but be grateful for them because it means everything is fine in my world and I'm grateful for that.

Mandy, David and Becca ...hang in there :hug:

I am so sorry to hear that things didn't go well later in the day yesterday! I will keep sending prayers and good thoughts your way. Hopefully, the doctors are right and once Becca's body adjusts to all of the meds she will stabilize again.

It is now 12:36 am. I have read this thread in one sitting and fallen in love with this family.

I'm heading to bed, stopping to kiss my healthy, sleeping children. I'll say a prayer for them to continue to be healthy, a prayer for families who's children aren't and a prayer for children who have to go through things no child deserves. Tomorrow morning I'm going to not complain about all the small annoying things in my day but be grateful for them because it means everything is fine in my world and I'm grateful for that.

Mandy, David and Becca ...hang in there :hug:

Amen! Glad u r joining Becca's prayer team!!

Mandy, David and Becca,
We are still praying for you guys!!

Just a quickie update to put everyones minds at rest.

We came in with a feeling of dread at 6.30am to see what had happened overnight and to check whether or not David would be able to go into work.
She was sleeping peacefully, her sats were good and she was not restrained!:goodvibes
We asked the staff what she had been like overnight and they said she had been pretty good, just a touch of restlessness at about 4.30am where her sats dropped a little, but once she calmed they went straight back up, so we were very happy as we walked across the hospital to send David off to work for the day.

I think David forgot to put in his update that her new room details are:
3 Tower South, Room #12

Love Mandy

Hi Mandy! Glad to hear Becca had a good night and David feels comfortable heading to work! I hope her good night is a sign that today will be a good day! :grouphug: Jen

Oh Mandy , that's good to hear. I've already become attached to Becca so you can tell her she has a fan in Nova Scotia! :hug:

Is it possible that she's having weird dreams from the drugs that is causing some of her restlessness? Probably too simplistic an explaination .....

Still praying.....

Glad to hear that Becca had a good night. I'm hoping she will have a good day today and that her body will adjust to the meds. Thank you for the update. We are still praying for you all.

Hey Mandy - yea on the good night! Continued prayers for all of you and much love sent from Texas!:love:

Glenda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter