Because we can never have enough tipping threads….

Well, I don't know about "standard". We never used them.
I only got them because when I joined, a lot of people on the DIS said to tip in $2 bills. But this was before you joined so you may have missed that.

Genuinely curious - what was the reason for the $2 bills? Like, why were they the recommendation here?

Genuinely curious - what was the reason for the $2 bills? Like, why were they the recommendation here?
Because $1 bills were wearing out faster than they could be replaced, and $1 coins were too big to carry. The government was trying to pretty much phase out the $1 bills/coins. Much like they're trying to do with pennies.

A number of people thought "Oh, aren't those unique? Let's use them for a special sort of tip."

Because they take up half the space in your wallet as $1 bills. And most folks were tipping $2 for things like room service on the ship, and it was a nice denomination for tips to excursion guides.

Because they take up half the space in your wallet as $1 bills. And most folks were tipping $2 for things like room service on the ship, and it was a nice denomination for tips to excursion guides.
The exact reason I asked my bank about 2 dollat bills.

I read space in cash registers is the issue with 2 dollar bills and dollar coins. Getting.rid of pennies and dollar bills would freebup needed slots.

Well, I guess there could be issues with foreign banks. But it is illegal not to accept U.S. Currency in the U.S.
Actually private businesses are able to set up their own means for settling debt. While all us currency is indeed legal tender there is no requirement that a business must accept it.

Actually private businesses are able to set up their own means for settling debt. While all us currency is indeed legal tender there is no requirement that a business must accept it.
Yes and no. A business can go cashless certainly. And I suspect for safety reasons they can refuse to accept currency over a certain denomination, say $20. But I don't know the legality of accepting $1, $5 and $20 bills but refusing to take $2 bills.

When did the gratuity become part of the price? And is that just DCL or all cruise lines? 🤔🤔
I don't know that it's part of the price. Is it? Didn't used to be, on DCL, anyway. Same on Holland America & Princess.

That said, it's always been possible to overpay your cruise cost by the amount of the gratuities and the overage is added to your onboard account.

I don't know that it's part of the price. Is it? Didn't used to be, on DCL, anyway. Same on Holland America & Princess.

That said, it's always been possible to overpay your cruise cost by the amount of the gratuities and the overage is added to your onboard account.

At one time wasn't there a gratuity chart posted here on the DISboards? 🤔🤔

At one time wasn't there a gratuity chart posted here on the DISboards? 🤔🤔
Well, there's a set number for the gratuities (what DCL will charge your onboard account). But, you can go to Guest Services and have them adjusted up or down, as you wish.

Dining room server - $4.50 per guest per night
Assistant server - $3.50 per guest per night
Head server - $1.00 per guest per night
Room host - $4.50 per guest per night

When we took our first HAL cruise in 2002 their policy was that "no tip for expected" for staff as they bragged their paid their staff more than any other cruise line. They didn't even have a guideline of tips per day like other cruise lines. We of course, did tip. We cruised again on HAL in 2012 and they had changed then to an automatic gratuity system and did have suggested tips per day per passenger per position.

When we took our first HAL cruise in 2002 their policy was that "no tip for expected" for staff as they bragged their paid their staff more than any other cruise line. They didn't even have a guideline of tips per day like other cruise lines. We of course, did tip. We cruised again on HAL in 2012 and they had changed then to an automatic gratuity system and did have suggested tips per day per passenger per position.
Holland America's "no tipping allowed" policy changed in 1987 to "no tipping required." Today they use "Crew Incentive" as a euphemism for tips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter