Because I am dense...tell me what the fine print means...

jas0202

Mouseketeer
Here's the fine print from my reservation confirmation from a specific section:

Cancellation Fees Prior to Guest Arrival
Cancellation of Reservation - If the reservation is cancelled amounts paid, minus cancellation fees, vacation insurance premium, and other amounts owed, will be refunded. For cancellations made 44 days or less prior to guest arrival, there is a cancellation fee of $200 per package, plus any cancellation fees assessed by third party hotels or other suppliers. No refunds are given for cancellation of a Grand Gathering experience made 6 days or less prior to the experience date.

Guest will be responsible for any cancellation fees assessed by an airline. In the case of a non-refundable airline ticket, the cancellation fee is equal to the entire ticket price. Cancellation of a refundable airline ticket must be made at least 24 hours prior to the scheduled airline departure time.

Vacation insurance is nonrefundable if not canceled within 14 days after booking reservation. Upon any cancellation, the charge for vacation insurance will be added to the other applicable cancellation fees. For reservations made 14 days or less prior to guest arrival, vacation insurance is nonrefundable if not canceled at least one day prior to guest arrival.

Change Fees and Changes to Reservations Made Prior to Guest Arrival
Changes to Reservation - For a change made 44 days or less prior to guest arrival that results in a change in the package price, a change fee of $50 per package, plus any change fees assessed by hotels or other suppliers, will be charged. Such change fees must be paid in addition to any increase in the package price resulting from the change. If air travel has been ticketed, guest will be responsible for any increase in airfare as well as the change fee assessed by the airline.

Changes to reservations which affect outbound flights or first night's accommodations must be made at least 7 business days prior to guest arrival. Land portions of the reservation cannot be canceled without also canceling the air portion of the reservation booked through Disney. Airlines/hotels/suppliers do not permit changes in certain situations. All existing travel documents must be returned to Disney via overnight delivery service and revised travel documents will be delivered to guest via express service, both at guest’s expense..

Disney reserves the right to restrict changes to any reservation.

Refunds
No refunds will be given to no-shows. No refunds will be made for unused admission tickets, options or features, including meals. No refunds for airline tickets will be made after travel has commenced or if a flight is missed/delayed. Any refunds allowed by Disney in its sole discretion after arrival must be requested in writing within 60 days after departure and will be assessed a $25 processing fee. All travel documents (including paper airline tickets) must be returned to Disney in order to process any refund. Disney reserves the right to make refunds in accordance with the method that payment was received. All appropriate refunds will be made through the guest’s travel agent if the reservation is made through a travel agent. Disney is not responsible for the receipt of refund monies by guests from their travel agents.

Disney CRO told me that if we cancel at 44 days or less we lose EVERYTHING. Every cent we had paid towards the package...thousands...everything. As I read that fine print, I feel like I was told wrong. It looks to me like I lose $200 for a cancellation fee if we cancel altogether or $50 for a change fee if we resschedule. But the rest is either refunded if we cancel or applied to the new travel dates if we reschedule. Am I reading that right?

We are debating about the travel insurance...which would be $140...but if we are only going to lose $200, then I'll take the gamble on losing the $60 difference between the two...KWIM? Someone please help me interpret. I am feeling stupid today and my brain hurts. :confused:

That information you got was wrong. If you cancel 44 days - xx days out (whatever it says in all that boilerplate) you only lose your deposit (= cancellation fee) and trip insurance as stated in the above.

That is why I never buy the trip insurance for a Disney trip, because the cancellation policies are fairly liberal in the first place (of course there can be other reasons for trip insurance, I'm speaking from strictly a cancellation standpoint).

That's correct, you will only lose $200.00. With the trip insurance, keep in mind that it also covers your airfare and theft and loss. So if your trip is delay because of canceled flights you will be reimbursed. Also, if your camera is lost or stolen, that will be covered.

We usually don't buy trip insurance for the same reason you gave. We did buy it this time though because we are traveling during hurricane season and I figured the peace of mind was worth the small amount it added to the trip cost.

Many people say you can find trip insurance cheaper than what Disney offers. I found it to be in line with the others when I compared costs.

Trip insurance is a must for our family-1 visit to an ER,or heaven forbid,a dental emergency, is going to cost MUCH more than $135,not to mention lost luggage,trip interruption etc... I digress....;) Sorry.I could'nt resist.;)

I'm not going to say anything unkind about the Cast Member who told you that. I'm not I'm not I'm not I'm not I'm not.

Okay. If you cancel completely 44 days or less prior to arrival, Walt Disney Travel Company will assess a $200 cancellation fee. I'll address the airline part later.

If you don't show up at all, you get no refund.

If you need to reschedule your trip, sure, there's a $50 fee. If the reschedule is through no fault of yours - i.e. weather-related, planes aren't flying from your area or planes aren't flying into Orlando - it's likely they'll even waive that fee.

Since you're not making any other hotel arrangements with them (unless you booked an onsite but not Disney-owned hotel?), that part doesn't apply. The airlines: yes, chances are your airfare is nonrefundable. Again, if the cancellation/change is weather-related or the specific airline's fault, they generally do allow free changes or refunds even on nonrefundable fares. That's really where your biggest loss is going to come into play if you need to cancel.

Insurance: Consumer Reports advises against trip insurance, but it's been a couple of years since I read the article so I can no longer cite their reasoning. If you do choose to purchase travel insurance, try insuremytrip.com. It's a search engine that will give you a number of options. Choose the best one for you. Make sure any insurance you buy covers what you need/expect.

Trip insurance is a must for our family-1 visit to an ER,or heaven forbid,a dental emergency, is going to cost MUCH more than $135,not to mention lost luggage,trip interruption etc... I digress....;) Sorry.I could'nt resist.;)

Does Disney's trip insurance include medical coverage?

Yes;ER,Dental,even Emergency Flight(medical)home if necessary-check it out for yourself;Exponentially worth the cost!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter