• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Beat the Heat tips!

Kick Save said:
In contrast to the last posters recommendation, I'd say take double the amount of socks, undies, and t-shirts as normal. When you take the afternoon break - because you'll NEED an afternoon break :) - change all three and your afternoon will be that much better. (The socks alone make you feel like a whole new person.)

Kick Save, I will try your method one day in August and wear socks undies and a tee shirt-hey its worth a try. The next day I will wear sandals, swim shorts and a tank so I can make an educated guess on which day I was more comfortable. I kind of worry about walking in rain showers (much less 90's and humid) with these items though, it sounds sorta dreadful but who knows.

What about those personal cooling neck bands. I think sharper image makes them. I remember reading about them before but could not find it when I did a search. Are they any good? I will be at SSR Aug 14 thru 21.

I just bought cooling neckbands (not the electronic kind from Sharper Image). They are just bandana-like "ties" that have some kind of cooling agent in them. You get them wet (I think) and then refridgerate. They are supposed to stay cool for a day (or two?) They were at Wal-mart at the end of the aisles in the camping section. I think they were like $3.27 or something. I don't know if they work, but I will try them.

I have bought DS a stroller fan and when he wasn't poking his fingers in it, it really did help to cool him off. Sitting in these sticky strollers for long periods of time can get hold for little ones. I did make sure to pack it out of sight when we went on attractions so it wouldn't get stolen.

I think we might try to find a mister or two...have seen them also at Wal-Mart way cheaper than Disney.

I agree with PP. We have gone many many times in May when it was usually 92-93. It was also very humid. This will be our first August. I am not sure how different it will be from May really.

I cannot wait to go!!!! We were supposed to go in Oct but a last minute change with the school forced us to move it up to the summer, most of the family is dreading the "summer" but I say.....thanks for bumping my vaca up by 2 months!!!!

How about gator-ade ( spelling?) Can that be used in place of or with water also????

My grandfathers Dr prescribed it to him to help his leg cramps....since he started drinking it **NO MORE LEG CRAMPS**....so if you know anyone who gets cramps...spread the word!!!

Remember that drinks that contain caffeine or alcohol will actually dehydrate you even though you are consuming liquid. They act as diurectics (make you excrete more liquid than you would normally.) A lot of soft drinks contain caffeine so use them in moderation or drink non caffeinated drinks. Drink more water than you think you need. If you are making normal Restroom stops you are probably are drinking enough; if you haven't had the need to go or your urine seems to be highly concentrated or minimal, start pushing more water.

las3888 said:
I just bought cooling neckbands (not the electronic kind from Sharper Image). They are just bandana-like "ties" that have some kind of cooling agent in them. You get them wet (I think) and then refridgerate. They are supposed to stay cool for a day (or two?) They were at Wal-mart at the end of the aisles in the camping section. I think they were like $3.27 or something. I don't know if they work, but I will try them.

I have bought DS a stroller fan and when he wasn't poking his fingers in it, it really did help to cool him off. Sitting in these sticky strollers for long periods of time can get hold for little ones. I did make sure to pack it out of sight when we went on attractions so it wouldn't get stolen.

I think we might try to find a mister or two...have seen them also at Wal-Mart way cheaper than Disney.
I have to go back to Blue & Gold's earlier post, and re-emphasize what was said there. Water inside your body is the key to safety in hot weather. Nothing else will take the place of adequate hydration, and in Florida most of the year, that's a LOT of water.

I would look at cooling ties, misters, etc, etc. as comfort items. They will NOT keep you from overheating. If anything, they might lull you into a false sense of security by making dehydration tolerable to the point that you get in real trouble. Use them if they make you more comfortable, but be sure you drink plenty of water.

We have gone many many times in May when it was usually 92-93. It was also very humid. This will be our first August. I am not sure how different it will be from May really.
August is more likely to be HOT (maybe 5 degrees on hotter days), and will be more humid. Many people come to Florida in the spring and experience 60% humidity and think it's humid. Wait until you feel 90%! You will also have more late afternoon thunderstorms.

cavecricket said:
How about gator-ade ( spelling?) Can that be used in place of or with water also????

My grandfathers Dr prescribed it to him to help his leg cramps....since he started drinking it **NO MORE LEG CRAMPS**....so if you know anyone who gets cramps...spread the word!!!
Gatorade and PowerAde are electrolyte replacement drinks and they contain a lot of potassium. The added potassium is what helps reduce the leg cramps.

Electrolyte replacement drinks are recommended in the medical literature as a secondary treatment for heat illness (The most important treatment in heat illness is getting the body temperature down by applying cold packs to major arteries near the skin surface).

I personally think these drinks are better used during the recovery period, rather than treatment. Based on what I read many years ago during my marathon-running days, I am concerned that hydration will be diverted to the digestive system to process the electrolyte replacement drink, and that will have a negative effect. I'd be interested in hearing from one of our MDs on that subject and would defer to their suggestions.

For regular drinking at WDW, I would drink water first and electrolyte replacement drinks second. As mentioned above, alcohol and anything carbonated will have a negative effect -- especially highly caffeinated drinks like energy drinks.

You have got to be a Doctor!
Thanks so much for the advice!

JimMIA said:
Gatorade and PowerAde are electrolyte replacement drinks and they contain a lot of potassium. The added potassium is what helps reduce the leg cramps.

Electrolyte replacement drinks are recommended in the medical literature as a secondary treatment for heat illness (The most important treatment in heat illness is getting the body temperature down by applying cold packs to major arteries near the skin surface).

I personally think these drinks are better used during the recovery period, rather than treatment. Based on what I read many years ago during my marathon-running days, I am concerned that hydration will be diverted to the digestive system to process the electrolyte replacement drink, and that will have a negative effect. I'd be interested in hearing from one of our MDs on that subject and would defer to their suggestions.

For regular drinking at WDW, I would drink water first and electrolyte replacement drinks second. As mentioned above, alcohol and anything carbonated will have a negative effect -- especially highly caffeinated drinks like energy drinks.

No...but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

A nice wide brimmed hat, which was mentioned earlier is good. Also dress in light weight and light colored clothing; a loosely fitted garment, even if it is long sleeved will help prevent dehydration.

Another thing to avoid for the kids are the high sugar juices, like the juice boxes and other similar drinks. I know a lot of these juices say 100% _____ juice (apple, grape, etc....), so it gives a false sense of nutrition, however, they are actually loaded with sugars; natural and added. The sugars will make the kids need to use the restroom, therefore increasing the chance of dehydration.

As everyone has said previously, water is your best bet.

Gatorade is one of the miracles of 5th Avenue marketing. Water and a healthy diet will do more than "sports drinks" to keep you operating. I like Gatorade, but do not need Gatorade.

I find it pretty funny that after a couple hundred posts here on Dis, the one that finally gets the most agreement is the one in which I advocate for clear urine!

To stay cool I try to alternate the "outside" attractions with "inside" attractions. We always cool off in the shops and during lunch/dinner. I don't mind the heat because we are at WDW. My Dh is a heat wimp. I am trying to find other suggestions for keeping him cool and complain free. Do we have a positive confirmation that the gel bandanas work?

JimMIA said:
I have to go back to Blue & Gold's earlier post, and re-emphasize what was said there. Water inside your body is the key to safety in hot weather. Nothing else will take the place of adequate hydration, and in Florida most of the year, that's a LOT of water.

I would look at cooling ties, misters, etc, etc. as comfort items. They will NOT keep you from overheating. If anything, they might lull you into a false sense of security by making dehydration tolerable to the point that you get in real trouble. Use them if they make you more comfortable, but be sure you drink plenty of water.

August is more likely to be HOT (maybe 5 degrees on hotter days), and will be more humid. Many people come to Florida in the spring and experience 60% humidity and think it's humid. Wait until you feel 90%! You will also have more late afternoon thunderstorms.

No need to get too testy here...I believe water (inside) is a major factor in keeping cool. I am just trying to think of other things that help when you are hot and in misery in the parks. I am also in complete agreement to hydration as a major factor in keeping cool. Just adding to other people's suggestions.

Also, you may laugh and guffaw, but I am up here in Chicago where in August we are very familiar with 100+ temps and MAJOR humidity. People tend to die (literally, sorry, no joke) up here every summer due to heat and humidity and no a/c. Right now we are experiencing at least 80something% humidity on most days and that is usually our low. Not to say it won't be hot and completely unbearable down there, we just happen to have alot of that up here as well.

TQKitty:

I have the gel bandanas -- I will try to use them soon when I will be out in the heat/humidity and post if they work or not. There was another thread on these bandanas and others liked them alot (hence the reason I bought them). Sorry -- I don't have the link to the thread.

We sometimes go resort visting during the heat of the day. NIce walks along the shade trees at POR, visiti the GF, WL, etc.

Then hit the parks later in the evening when it is a bit cooler.

YMMV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter