• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Beat the Heat tips!

cavecricket

Disney Bride -to- Wife / DIsney Mom to be! July 4t
Hey guys!

I figured a thread with tips for beating the summer heat in WDW was in order! :sunny:

We will be there in August and we have some "seasoned" guests coming along with us ( we normally go in October )

Share your tips for keeping cool!

Whether it be certain foods, vitamins, gadgets, ect... I am sure you guys will have some great suggestions!!!!

Sometimes the most obvious tips are overlooked in the hustle and bustle of packing and prepping for your trip!

Some things I have done in the past:

Those silly misting fans!, my DF made fun of me one year that I was actually paying 20.00 for mist myself.....he used it more then me and looking back it was worth its weight in gold! ( you can get them cheap at joblot and such )

The camelbak backpacks are a great option ...especially for the more "seasoned" WDW goers...you cannot fill it until you are in the park...security wont let you bring in any liquids not factory sealed. Although primarily used for liquids only they do sell larger ones with enough room to carry a full sized bike helmet and other small items.

Also water soaked bandanas around your neck and wrists help ALOT....the park water tastes like crap so you might as well use it for something!

Thanks in advance for any tips!!!

Jenn

We too are making a trip in the beginning of Aug. 7/29-8/5 We had no choice but this time of year for this trip. My DH's son My step-son,his mother won't let him miss any school to go with us other times of year(but she'll let him miss days for trips she wants to take) So this summer we have him for the last 1/2 of the summer and he really wants to go-so here we go! We too have only been in Oct/Jan or early May. So yes this thread is a great idea-if you're not interested then don't read it,and please keep the "don't go in August" to your self. Thanks,Angel

#1 I packed those little magic towls (the ones that fold up to say..umm 1mm) :teeth:
Although you could grab a face cloth from your room, and bring along a zip lock baggie. Then, we you get too hot dunk the cloth in cold water and put it on your face, ankles, or wrists to cool you down ;)

#2 I also purchased the MINI misting fans (they are on a keychain) from Walmart $2.44ea. Uses one AA battery.

#3 I like to get at the parks before park opening and leave around noon when the crowds are larger and it is hotter out.... go for a swim, relax and go back to a park in the late afternoon :smooth:

justplaingoofy said:
#1 I packed those little magic towls (the ones that fold up to say..umm 1mm) :teeth:
Although you could grab a face cloth from your room, and bring along a zip lock baggie. Then, we you get too hot dunk the cloth in cold water and put it on your face, ankles, or wrists to cool you down ;)

#2 I also purchased the MINI misting fans (they are on a keychain) from Walmart $2.44ea. Uses one AA battery.

#3 I like to get at the parks before park opening and leave around noon when the crowds are larger and it is hotter out.... go for a swim, relax and go back to a park in the late afternoon :smooth:

The parks are open late in the summer right?

You are on the Cape?!
Will be there this weekend...Ocean st in Hyannis...Happy 4th...do you know when the fireworks are planned by any chance????

Jenn

We always take advantage of EMH at night. Our kids are 15, 13, 11.We do the pool all day and go out to eat and then hit whatever park has the EMH. That way there is no sun and the weather is a bit cooler.

By the way... Cute picture justplainegoofy.

Frankiesmom said:
So yes this thread is a great idea-if you're not interested then don't read it,and please keep the "don't go in August" to your self. Thanks,Angel

I was not making any sort of judgment. If August were the only time I could visit I suppose I would make the best of it..... I was merely alluding to the fact that inland Florida in August is nothing less than brutal and short of staying indoors or in the water you really can't avoid the heat at WDW..

Read on.There are some decent tips in this thread http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1127161&page=1&pp=15&highlight=august+hot

One tip to pass on from my survival training... And personal experience in some very hot places... The best place to carry water is in your body. If you wait until you feel thirsty, your body is already in trouble. If you know at the start of the day you are in for a long, hot experience---start drinking water in reasonable quantities until you are passing clear "exhaust."

Spraying water on your face, wet bandanas, etc are just methods of causing surface cooling through evaporation. "Sweating," in other words. Let your body do what it already is trying to do... The human body is a remarkably efficient radiator, but it needs fluid to operate efficiently.

As a practical note... For our last trip we had groceries delivered by Garden Grocer, and their prices for 24 oz bottled water were easily 75% cheaper than you'd pay in the parks.

AWESOME ADVICE!!!!!

Thanks ! :teeth:

Blue&Gold said:
One tip to pass on from my survival training... And personal experience in some very hot places... The best place to carry water is in your body. If you wait until you feel thirsty, your body is already in trouble. If you know at the start of the day you are in for a long, hot experience---start drinking water in reasonable quantities until you are passing clear "exhaust."

Spraying water on your face, wet bandanas, etc are just methods of causing surface cooling through evaporation. "Sweating," in other words. Let your body do what it already is trying to do... The human body is a remarkably efficient radiator, but it needs fluid to operate efficiently.

As a practical note... For our last trip we had groceries delivered by Garden Grocer, and their prices for 24 oz bottled water were easily 75% cheaper than you'd pay in the parks.

Buy mini bottles of water (you can refill them each night) and freeze them. Carry one in your fanny pack. It's nice to keep a block of ice on your tuchas, and as it melts you've got refreshing ice water handy.

We're going in July and I'm also going to try one of those blu bandoo hats with water retaining gel in the hatband. Supposedly you soak the hat in water for a few minutes and it stays cool for several hours. We'll see...

Blue&Gold said:

This is THE most important key. Hydrate before you go out, and continually all day long. Take hundreds of little sips, not big chugs when you get thirsty -- if you're thirsty, it's already too late.

For example, I'm getting ready to go for a bike ride if the sprinkling stops. It's only 80 degrees and 100% overcast, but I'm drinking 16 oz of H2O before I go and taking a 70 oz hydration pack with me, even though it's only a short ride. I won't drink all of that water, but I'll have it if I need it.

I can't tell you how many heat exhaustion and heat stroke cases I've seen at Everglades NP, and they all come from dehydration. Heat is nothing to play with -- heat exhaustion can lead to heat stroke, and heat stroke is a life-threatening emergency.

It is also important for anyone who's going to be outdoors in Florida to be able to recognize the symptoms of heat illness, and know what to do if heat illness strikes. WebMD and the Australian Army websites have excellent infomation on heat illness.

In addition, I'll offer several other suggestions.
  • Avoid the middle of the day. Mid-day (from Noon to about 3 PM) is an excellent time to do indoor attractions, or go back at the resort for pool/napping.
  • Wear a hat. Your brain will be addled enough trying to keep everyone on schedule, etc...don't bake it.
  • Use sunblock early and often. The sun here is nothing like what you have at home...nothing!

Good luck and have a great trip.

Par8hed said:
T1p #1 to beat the heat in August : Don't go in August.

It was 92-96 the whole week were in WDW in May (it broke a heat record one day), so I don't think that "August heat" is limited to the month of August. I think that everyone who travels to WDW May thru October might want to take heed of these tips - there is no guarantee that the HOT weather will contain itself to a couple of months. We certainly weren't prepared in May for that level of heat.

I will add that I agree that the mister fans were worth their weight in gold - too bad that someone decided to steal one of ours while we were riding Soaring.

More wonderful and insightfull advice!... I love these boards!

JimMIA said:
This is THE most important key. Hydrate before you go out, and continually all day long. Take hundreds of little sips, not big chugs when you get thirsty -- if you're thirsty, it's already too late.

For example, I'm getting ready to go for a bike ride if the sprinkling stops. It's only 80 degrees and 100% overcast, but I'm drinking 16 oz of H2O before I go and taking a 70 oz hydration pack with me, even though it's only a short ride. I won't drink all of that water, but I'll have it if I need it.

I can't tell you how many heat exhaustion and heat stroke cases I've seen at Everglades NP, and they all come from dehydration. Heat is nothing to play with -- heat exhaustion can lead to heat stroke, and heat stroke is a life-threatening emergency.

It is also important for anyone who's going to be outdoors in Florida to be able to recognize the symptoms of heat illness, and know what to do if heat illness strikes. WebMD and the Australian Army websites have excellent infomation on heat illness.

In addition, I'll offer several other suggestions.
  • Avoid the middle of the day. Mid-day (from Noon to about 3 PM) is an excellent time to do indoor attractions, or go back at the resort for pool/napping.
  • Wear a hat. Your brain will be addled enough trying to keep everyone on schedule, etc...don't bake it.
  • Use sunblock early and often. The sun here is nothing like what you have at home...nothing!

Good luck and have a great trip.

cavecricket said:
The parks are open late in the summer right?

You are on the Cape?!
Will be there this weekend...Ocean st in Hyannis...Happy 4th...do you know when the fireworks are planned by any chance????

Jenn

Hope you guys have a great trip! Yes, we are here on the Cape..
Here is a calendar of events from the Hyannis chamber of commerce link. You can also change the dates above if needed. Looks like they are Saturday night :teeth:

http://www.hyannis.com/CalendarOfEvents.asp?EventDisplayMonth=7

I use misters from walmart. They don't have fans but you pump them up and they just send out a faily forceful amount of mist.

Like these but WAAAY cheaper at walmart...even though they are the same ones. I paid less than $20 a piece.

http://www.mistymate.com/

I carry one on me and usually have one in the stroller and one at the room just in case of breakage. I let the kids soak themselves and they actually like to drink the mist as well.

Of course this is just supplimental to drinking a TON of water.

Great idea....thanks for the link

tjl1388 said:
I use misters from walmart. They don't have fans but you pump them up and they just send out a faily forceful amount of mist.

Like these but WAAAY cheaper at walmart...even though they are the same ones. I paid less than $20 a piece.

http://www.mistymate.com/

I carry one on me and usually have one in the stroller and one at the room just in case of breakage. I let the kids soak themselves and they actually like to drink the mist as well.

Of course this is just supplimental to drinking a TON of water.

Leave the socks and underware at home. Its not necessary, just a lined swim short, sandals and tanks and walk through any water you see. We usually hit a park in the AM, then sleep or swim until after the afternoon rain then do the evenings-its great.

In contrast to the last posters recommendation, I'd say take double the amount of socks, undies, and t-shirts as normal. When you take the afternoon break - because you'll NEED an afternoon break :) - change all three and your afternoon will be that much better. (The socks alone make you feel like a whole new person.)

Also, as a personal experience tip...don't sit in direct sun on a curb waiting for a parade. Good chance the curb will more than "warm" when you sit on it, and the dyed concrete actually left stains on DW's shorts. If you need to wait on the parade, get a nice shady spot to do so. (Or anticipate the shade...we sat in the sun for 10 minutes at MGM waiting on the parade, but was in the shade for the whole parade as the sun swept behind us.)

And, as others have said, drink, drink, drink. The clear "exhaust" tip is a good one...

Par8hed said:
T1p #1 to beat the heat in August : Don't go in August.

Agree 100% with this. Add late June, Julyand early September to that as well. Dripping sweat, fighting huge lines, screaming kids, grumpy old people and you have WDW in the hot months. It is enough to bother even the most diehard WDW fan.

Other than that there is no way to stay cool in that oppressive humidity.
Try the misters and plenty of fluids since you MUST go then. I don't buy into musts by the way.

Were there is a will there is a way. :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter