Beat the Blerch

I hope they're able to add another race for everyone who couldn't get in due to the server overloading.

Anyone else sign up for this today? It was a nightmare. They did registration through raceit.com, which is normally great, but just couldn't handle this level of traffic. It took me 16 minutes to register, and I was one of the lucky ones. It sold out in 29 minutes. I'm curious how many spots were available. Someone on the facebook page mentioned 2000 spots, but was unclear whether that was total spots for all 3 distances, or 2000 spots per distance (10k, half, full). I'm not surprised. I'm local, so I went out to the race location yesterday for my run to check it out. The trail is a decent size for normal purposes (imagine a standard single lane road), but throw an out-and-back race course on it and it's going to be awfully tight, especially at the start.

Anyways, I'm in for the full! It'll be my 3rd full marathon, and I'm hoping a nice, tree-lined course will be just what I need to stay strong the entire race. And also cake. And Blerches chasing me. :)

I managed to get registered for the 10k. I barely got in under the wire. Got my registration email at 9:29am confirming my entry. I'm so excited to run this race! It's going to be a blast. :-)

For anyone ALREADY on the waitlist, they have added another race on Saturday. You'll be getting emails, I believe. Be ready!

And don't visit the facebook page unless you want to see complaints from those who got in on Sunday, partially b/c they won't be inaugural, but also because it's a trail race from what people are saying, and if it's muddy on Saturday, Sunday isn't going to be a bit of fun.

I, as usual, see both sides. As long as they have birthday cake for me on Sunday and I don't break my ankle, I'm good.

Eh, we got in for the Inaugural Weekend - that's all that matters. If the weather's good then no worries about mud, the Saturday runners can just beat back the brush at the edges and sweep the spiderwebs out of the way. ;)

For anyone ALREADY on the waitlist, they have added another race on Saturday. You'll be getting emails, I believe. Be ready!

And don't visit the facebook page unless you want to see complaints from those who got in on Sunday, partially b/c they won't be inaugural, but also because it's a trail race from what people are saying, and if it's muddy on Saturday, Sunday isn't going to be a bit of fun.

I, as usual, see both sides. As long as they have birthday cake for me on Sunday and I don't break my ankle, I'm good.

I've decided not to stress out about running Sunday versus Saturday. Yeah, it's a trail, but it would have to rain ALOT for the trail to get significantly muddy to make a difference. As long as they don't run out of marathon medals, I'll be happy! :)

Update: for those that are already registered, you can switch days if you want or need to! My friends and I all switched from Sunday to Saturday because we have Seahawk tickets and there is a big game on that Sunday and we don't want to have to worry about rushing back in time or possibly missing any of the game! I'm so happy everything worked out.

In case anyone is interested, they just released a virtual race option! I'm usually against these, since I like to officially "earn" my medals, but I couldn't resist!

In case anyone is interested, they just released a virtual race option! I'm usually against these, since I like to officially "earn" my medals, but I couldn't resist!

...That makes two of us... :blush:

I figure, it'll symbolize all the "virtual" races I've done since I started training. Gotta have something to commemorate that first 13.1 training run! Anything to justify Blerch merch! :goodvibes

So did anyone sign up for the virtual race? I just got my packet on Monday and it's awesome!

10632659_10100483789878249_639290336320978991_n.jpg

This is nicer stuff than I have gotten at real races :lmao:

I happen to have a 13 miler planned this weekend, so I'm going to wear my shirt (and maybe the bib if I feel silly enough) and do my virtual half-marathon!

So did anyone sign up for the virtual race? I just got my packet on Monday and it's awesome!

10632659_10100483789878249_639290336320978991_n.jpg

This is nicer stuff than I have gotten at real races :lmao:

I happen to have a 13 miler planned this weekend, so I'm going to wear my shirt (and maybe the bib if I feel silly enough) and do my virtual half-marathon!

Oh my goodness that's amazing! I wish I knew about the virtual run when it was still available (heck I would even have travelled to go to that race - nutella and cake at aid stations???!). Next year I'll definitely try and be on there 10 minutes before just like rundisney since it sold out so quickly ::yes::

Have fun on your run!

Oh my goodness that's amazing! I wish I knew about the virtual run when it was still available (heck I would even have travelled to go to that race - nutella and cake at aid stations???!). Next year I'll definitely try and be on there 10 minutes before just like rundisney since it sold out so quickly ::yes:: Have fun on your run!
You'll see Nutella and cake and other goodies at the 10K in January. We're handing them out as part of our Blerch-themed costumes.

You'll see Nutella and cake and other goodies at the 10K in January. We're handing them out as part of our Blerch-themed costumes.

I'll be looking for you! I wonder if I should wear my blerch shirt for the 10k instead of the one I had planned...

We got ours in the mail yesterday, and I was surprised by the quality of the medals -- very cool to have and be a part of the event, if only virtually. Also enjoyed the extra little goodies of Haribo gummy bears and cupcake lip balm (frosting flavored)! :lmao:

Next week is a step-back week in our training program, so we may bump up this Sat/Sun from 5 and 12 to a 10k and half so we can treat ourselves to birthday cake and magical grape beverages afterward. . . :hyper:

I'm doing a 10K in town tomorrow (and, yep, next Sunday's Blerch) and at packet pickup was talking to a lady doing the same combo of events (but the Half for both vs my 10Ks). While talking, someone else was listening, and so we included him in the conversation.

Trying to explain to a hard-core runner that "nutella, birthday cake, and magical grape beverages" is a GOOD thing to have at food stations was....interesting. There wasn't a lot of belief coming from his general direction! :3dglasses

I'm not sure I'll be able to partake in any of it during the run with my tricky stomach, but it's still fun. :)

Yikes! Gotta go get ready for tomorrow. :)

Best of luck to all you Blerch'ers live and virtual out there! Birthday cake and magical purple soda all around!

In case you haven't heard, here's some news from Matt Inman (The Oatmeal) on Facebook:

"We're going to expand it to a few other cities soon, including the East Coast followed by somewhere more central (probably Colorado). The Seattle race sold out in minutes, so follow Beat The Blerch on Twitter or Facebook to be notified when we open up registration for these other cities.
https://www.facebook.com/BeatTheBlerch
https://twitter.com/beattheblerch

Hugs and cake,
-Oats"

:cool1::banana::woohoo:

In case you haven't heard, here's some news from Matt Inman (The Oatmeal) on Facebook:

"We're going to expand it to a few other cities soon, including the East Coast followed by somewhere more central (probably Colorado). The Seattle race sold out in minutes, so follow Beat The Blerch on Twitter or Facebook to be notified when we open up registration for these other cities.
https://www.facebook.com/BeatTheBlerch
https://twitter.com/beattheblerch

Hugs and cake,
-Oats"

:cool1::banana::woohoo:

I'm very excited about the East Coast, I just hope it's somewhere near NJ!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter