Beast. The awesome PTR of awesomeness June 2012 last update: Universal Resort

Your plans for DHS look really good!:thumbsup2 We are planning to just ride TSMM as well(probably not FP...it's just too much of pain now especially for this ride) Then like you, we will hit RNRC and ToT right after.

I'm so glad to hear you loved RNRC!! This will be our first time riding and I'm extremely nervous.:scared1:

DHS is actually one of our favorite parks, but we all love the big rides (RnRC, ToT) and TSM. We love watching Beauty and the Beast, and going through the Great Movie Ride. Fantasmic is one of our favorite nighttime shows.

It's so good that Disney offers so many different things---something for all of us! :)

Your DHS plans look great! I love RNRC....though I made DH ride it first to "test" it for me. When he got off of the ride, I said, "ok, I'll ride as long as it doesn't go upside down". He said, "I can't remember, but I don't think it does". Yep...he was in trouble after the first 2 seconds! :rotfl2:

I agree with some of our points on DHS, but you must try the Animation Studio... my girls (who are adrenaline junkies) just adored doing this... at first they were telling me how lame it was going to be, but when we were walking out - they wanted to get right back in line. :)

You could always try a Napoleon at Starring Rolls? Much better than a cupcake any ol' day. :)

Lovin' the rest of your plans!

D~

Hey, do you have room for one more PTR follower? Yes? Okay, count me in!

I've only read the intro so far, but it sounds like it's going to be a great trip and a fun PTR -- love your writing style. I'll try to get caught up when I can.

Your plans for DHS look really good!:thumbsup2 We are planning to just ride TSMM as well(probably not FP...it's just too much of pain now especially for this ride) Then like you, we will hit RNRC and ToT right after.

I'm so glad to hear you loved RNRC!! This will be our first time riding and I'm extremely nervous.:scared1:

I was so surprised I liked it. I knew Kiah would like it if we could just survive the launch.

DHS is actually one of our favorite parks, but we all love the big rides (RnRC, ToT) and TSM. We love watching Beauty and the Beast, and going through the Great Movie Ride. Fantasmic is one of our favorite nighttime shows.

It's so good that Disney offers so many different things---something for all of us! :)

I do enjoy Beauty & the Beast, I'm just worried about the heat when we're there. I've seen Fantasmic twice now -- once in the rain at WDW and once on it's premiere night at Disneyland in 2009 after a long refurb -- and I couldn't begin to tell you the story line. Maybe we just need to watch it without rain or crowds or my mind on anything else.

Your DHS plans look great! I love RNRC....though I made DH ride it first to "test" it for me. When he got off of the ride, I said, "ok, I'll ride as long as it doesn't go upside down". He said, "I can't remember, but I don't think it does". Yep...he was in trouble after the first 2 seconds! :rotfl2:

I still refuse to do upside down coasters... except RNRC. Something about it being in the dark and not actually having that huge first drop that most coasters have...

I agree with some of our points on DHS, but you must try the Animation Studio... my girls (who are adrenaline junkies) just adored doing this... at first they were telling me how lame it was going to be, but when we were walking out - they wanted to get right back in line. :)

You could always try a Napoleon at Starring Rolls? Much better than a cupcake any ol' day. :)

Lovin' the rest of your plans!

D~

Do Napoleon's have filling? Because nothing icks me out than filling in a pastry. I can do a cupcake... I think. But biting into a pastry and having something in there? Blech.

Animation Studio is definitely on our list. Tater loves to draw, and I'm hoping I remember to get us over to the Animation Studio. I can't draw anything so it should be interesting.

Hey, do you have room for one more PTR follower? Yes? Okay, count me in!

I've only read the intro so far, but it sounds like it's going to be a great trip and a fun PTR -- love your writing style. I'll try to get caught up when I can.

Hi, my favorite trip report writer! Thanks for popping over!

Chapter 17: Those things that aren't in the budget

So you plan your Disney trip. X dollars for lodging. X dollars for food. If you're like me, you budget X dollars for your rental car and then gleefully spend the last 45 days before your trip trying to lower that rental car price (seriously... I'm having so much fun trying to see how low I can get it. I've got from $465 a week ago to $220 this morning. That's two meals worth of savings!).

What you don't realize -- until you start hanging out on message boards -- is that there's a ton of stuff you're going to have to purchase before you even leave your house.

First there's the guidebooks and apps. Passporter (make mine a deluxe, please). Unofficial Touring Guide. And if you get that book, you have to get the Lines App. And then get addicted to the chat, which leads you to the Facebook group. Or maybe that's just me. Orlando Informer membership to help plan for the Universal portion of your trip. Heck, you might as well buy The Dark Side of Disney for the Kindle. It's only $3 and a fun read. Not much I could use in terms of planning, but it was fun.

Then there's find the perfect park bag. I found mine. Kiah got a Vera Bradley crossbody bag (the Saddle Up for those who like VB).

Shoes. Wrote about mine here. I also purchased Mush and Keens (one pair each) for the girls. Tater got a pair of Crocs slides. Dan got 2 pair of Crocs flip flops. I would have bought Tater two pair, but he wouldn't wear them, so why spend the money?

And then there's my weekly shopping trip to Walmart:

IMG_2482 by miss kim 09, on Flickr

Yes, I go to Walmart once a week. They carry several things I can't get anywhere else -- like my energy drink mix (since I gave up pop in February, I still need caffeine somehow), protein bars at a reasonable price, and a better selection of vegetarian meals and supplies.

It also gives me the opportunity to start picking up all those little things you need to pick up before you leave.

Such as:

• Carmex 3 pack. Must pick this up before you leave because you're going to need Carmex on the plane. I'm pretty sure there's an addictive substance in Carmex. I can never have enough.
  • Earplanes. My girls have awful ear trouble on planes. Kiah is already semi-stressed about it. We tried these in 2000, but they were young and they didn't work/kids wouldn't keep them in. We decided to try them again. I'm also going to pick up a nasal decongestant to see if that helps. Kiah hates to take any medication but she said she'd take this if it will help the ears.
  • A lint roller. We're taking a lot of black clothing with us. Black clothing = magnet for stray hair, white threads and basically every other particle in the air. I saw this one laying in the craft area when we were picking up thread and told her to grab it. Apparently it's made for crafting because it's made to be used on flat surfaces. I tend to use a lint roller before I put on my clothing, so it's on a flat surface. And this sure looks easier to use than the usual round handled rollers.
  • Pajama shorts. Actually, 5 pair are pajama shorts. 3 pairs of patterned boxers for Kiah. 1 pair of Minnie, also for Kiah, to wear over her bathing suit to the pool. 1 pair of Animal, for Ches, for pool wear. Then 3 pairs of regular old knit shorts for Ches to wear as pajamas. They'll wear tank tops/t-shirts with the boxers/shorts for pajamas. My girls really have no pajamas... they wear sweat and shorts, and Ches has grown a foot in the last year. These were super cheap and they'll love having them after the trip.
Also in that photo are my two new pairs of flip flops -- the OluKai Ohana and the Sanuk Yoga Mat. Wore the Ohana yesterday while Kiah and I did our mile-plus walk, and then while we bought all this. Extremely comfortable. I think I found my main shoes for this trip.

I still have a list of things I need to buy, but it's mostly health/beauty stuff. Triple Antibiotic ointment. Moleskin. Allergy medications. We're at about 45 days now and I'm doing pretty good at getting it all pulled together and ready. This is good, because I'm about to lose my mind at work. 18 days with kids!

This is so me! I have a list of all of that stuff that doesn't have a category in the budget! I've been trying to work it in (the stuff that doesn't expire/go bad) one thing at a time when we make our weekly grocery run! The trip is coming soon!!

I know what you mean....the end of the school year is crazy! Tomorrow starts our testing week! I'm ready to get it going and get it done!

I know what you mean! I always intend to buy a few things at a time, but seems as if I never carry through. And, then, it's time for the trip, and BAM---I spend $*!*!*! just getting ready to leave!

I am so ready for school to be over as well! Do you think the kids realize that the teachers are more ready for summer than they are? :laughing:

This is so me! I have a list of all of that stuff that doesn't have a category in the budget! I've been trying to work it in (the stuff that doesn't expire/go bad) one thing at a time when we make our weekly grocery run! The trip is coming soon!!

I know what you mean....the end of the school year is crazy! Tomorrow starts our testing week! I'm ready to get it going and get it done!

We ended up in a Dollar Tree yesterday and I picked up a few more things. Time to start memorizing my list of things to buy because it's serious crunch time to get everything purchased.

I know what you mean! I always intend to buy a few things at a time, but seems as if I never carry through. And, then, it's time for the trip, and BAM---I spend $*!*!*! just getting ready to leave!

I am so ready for school to be over as well! Do you think the kids realize that the teachers are more ready for summer than they are? :laughing:

Well, my problem is that I teach 3-5 year olds. And they have no concept of summer. So they are not ready for summer at all. They're still just as needy and demanding as they always are... while the staff is done. Every week I have to take a deep breath and tell myself that the week is just as real as a week in September and I need to devote the same energy to teaching.

Today is an inservice day and I'm presenting. I should probably get up and think about getting dressed, huh? Why in the world did our school district schedule an inservice day on the final day of April? What in the world do they think I can learn that I can use for the last 18 days of the year?

Ah well. I'll get off early. If it's not raining here (and it could be according to the TV), I'll go on a nice long walk with Kiah after work. We do this almost every day and our walks are being consumed with talk about our trip. What to pack, our touring plans, where we'll eat. My way of getting some Disney into every day.

Ugh..I'm hoping to get around to those things not in the budget this week and get my list together.

Love my guidebooks! Passporter is great! I also like The Complete Guide to Walt Disney World...lots of great information, pictures, trivia and tips.:thumbsup2

We do the weekly shopping trips to Walmart as well. Once I finish my list, I'm going to start adding the "extras" in here and there.

My youngest has problems with his ears on the plane and we have always used Earplanes. They work great for him! Hope they work for your girls this time!:thumbsup2

Ugh..I'm hoping to get around to those things not in the budget this week and get my list together.

Love my guidebooks! Passporter is great! I also like The Complete Guide to Walt Disney World...lots of great information, pictures, trivia and tips.:thumbsup2

We do the weekly shopping trips to Walmart as well. Once I finish my list, I'm going to start adding the "extras" in here and there.

My youngest has problems with his ears on the plane and we have always used Earplanes. They work great for him! Hope they work for your girls this time!:thumbsup2

We have the Complete Guide as well... it makes for good reading in the car or when I can't really concentrated on something for a long time. Thanks for the review on the Earplanes. I hope they work for Kiah, too! She's already dreading the flight due to the ear situation.

Chapter 18 Our Disney Pony-O Project

As we head into each weekend, I like to have a project. Oftentimes, my project is to scrapbook, especially at the first of the month. Later in the month, I sometimes have to create my own project.

Lately, I've been putting Chesney's hair up in a ponytail every day. (More on that later...) I got to thinking how fun it would be to have some Disney themed ponytail holders. I browsed Etsy and liked what I saw...

But then I got to thinking how much more I'd enjoy making the ponytail holders myself. And by enjoy, I mean enjoy for exactly an hour and whatever didn't get done within that hour would be too bad, so sad.

So I had myself a bit of fun ordering ribbon off Etsy. It arrived throughout the week, and Ches would rip open the package and ooh and ahh. Seriously, folks. You know this is the last trip where I'm going to get to accessorize that girl. I enjoyed.

During the week, I found a tutorial to follow on the internet. Friday, I bought a package of ponytail elastics made especially to hold thick hair.

Saturday I sat down with the ribbons and divided it into each holder that I wanted to create. I cut it to length. Chesney trimmed the ends into points. I used a lighter to singe the ends so they wouldn't unravel.

IMG_2481 by miss kim 09, on Flickr

IMG_2479 by miss kim 09, on Flickr

Then I sat and watched TV (America's Next Top Model marathon for the win!) and stitched and glued and created. 11 ponytail holders, a couple of needlesticks and hot glue that destroyed my fingerprints later....

IMG_2480 by miss kim 09, on Flickr

IMG_2477 by miss kim 09, on Flickr

IMG_2478 by miss kim 09, on Flickr

She doesn't have one for every day, but she has enough that it should work. And I had a fun day, playing with colors and patterns and creating. Win-win.

Do Napoleon's have filling? Because nothing icks me out than filling in a pastry. I can do a cupcake... I think. But biting into a pastry and having something in there? Blech.

Technically... Yes, but sort of no... Napoleons are kind of like a pastry lasagna... There's a flaky crust - sort of like a bit crispier than a pie crust... Then there is a filling... It's a cream, but a heavy cream - so hard to describe. They might have something else layered in there... I wonder if I can find a description somewhere????

IMG_3890.jpg

Viola! Thanks to allears.net:

Recipes
Napoleon
Boulangerie Patisserie
France - Epcot

Ingredients:
1 pound puff pastry
2 cups pastry cream
¾ cup Chantilly cream
Confectioner's sugar

Vanilla Pastry Cream:
2 cups milk
½ vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise
6 egg yolks
2/3 cup granulated sugar
4 teaspoons flour or corn starch

Method of Preparation:
Place the milk and vanilla bean in saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover and keep hot. Beat the sugar and egg yolk together until the mixture whitens and forms a ribbon; then gently stir in cornstarch or flour. Strain out the vanilla bean and pour the hot milk into the egg and sugar mixture, continually beating. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 1-minute stirring vigorously, then pour into a bowl and lightly rub the surface of the cream with a lump of butter to keep skin from forming as it cools. Yield: 2 cups

Chantilly Cream:
1 cup crème fraiche, very cold
3 tablespoons cold milk
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
¾ teaspoon vanilla sugar
1 ½ tablespoon shaved ice or water

Method of Preparation:
Mix the crème fraiche with the milk in a chilled mixing bowl; add sugar, vanilla sugar and the shaved ice or ice water, whip at low speed for one minute, then whip at high speed for one to three minutes more or until it stands in soft peaks.

*NOTE: AVOID WHIPPING TOO LONG OTHERWISE IT WILL TURN INTO BUTTER. CHANTILLY CREAM KEEPS FOR 24 HRS. IF REFRIGERATED IN A TIGHTLY CLOSED CONTAINER.

Assembling the cake:
Roll out the pastry into 3 rectangles and bake until lightly browned. When the three sheets have been baked, select the best rectangle to serve as the cover or top layer of the cake. Turn this rectangle over and dust generously with confectioner's sugar. Broil for 1 min. watching to make sure the sugar doesn't burn. Allow to cool.

Fold the vanilla pastry cream into the Chantilly cream. On the first rectangle pastry, spread a layer of this cream. Place the second rectangle on top, spread it with the cream as well, and then cover with the glazed rectangle of pastry. Sprinkle the top with the confectioner's sugar.

Chapter 18 Our Disney Pony-O Project

As we head into each weekend, I like to have a project. Oftentimes, my project is to scrapbook, especially at the first of the month. Later in the month, I sometimes have to create my own project.

Lately, I've been putting Chesney's hair up in a ponytail every day. (More on that later...) I got to thinking how fun it would be to have some Disney themed ponytail holders. I browsed Etsy and liked what I saw...

But then I got to thinking how much more I'd enjoy making the ponytail holders myself. And by enjoy, I mean enjoy for exactly an hour and whatever didn't get done within that hour would be too bad, so sad.

So I had myself a bit of fun ordering ribbon off Etsy. It arrived throughout the week, and Ches would rip open the package and ooh and ahh. Seriously, folks. You know this is the last trip where I'm going to get to accessorize that girl. I enjoyed.

During the week, I found a tutorial to follow on the internet. Friday, I bought a package of ponytail elastics made especially to hold thick hair.

Saturday I sat down with the ribbons and divided it into each holder that I wanted to create. I cut it to length. Chesney trimmed the ends into points. I used a lighter to singe the ends so they wouldn't unravel.

IMG_2481 by miss kim 09, on Flickr

IMG_2479 by miss kim 09, on Flickr

Then I sat and watched TV (America's Next Top Model marathon for the win!) and stitched and glued and created. 11 ponytail holders, a couple of needlesticks and hot glue that destroyed my fingerprints later....

IMG_2480 by miss kim 09, on Flickr

IMG_2477 by miss kim 09, on Flickr

IMG_2478 by miss kim 09, on Flickr

She doesn't have one for every day, but she has enough that it should work. And I had a fun day, playing with colors and patterns and creating. Win-win.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the ponies!!! You did a magnificant job Kim!!! And I love the photos of them too - they will coordinate perfectly with the rest of your planned/coordinated outfits! Spectactular!!!

D~ <--- Who is actually considering making the above recipe (ahem - attempting to make the above recipe???)... :faint:

love love love the ponies. Miss C would love those.

I had fun making them. My girls think I should open my own Etsy shop. I'm not willing to go that far, but did consider a blog giveaway when we get back.

Technically... Yes, but sort of no... Napoleons are kind of like a pastry lasagna... There's a flaky crust - sort of like a bit crispier than a pie crust... Then there is a filling... It's a cream, but a heavy cream - so hard to describe. They might have something else layered in there... I wonder if I can find a description somewhere????

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the ponies!!! You did a magnificant job Kim!!! And I love the photos of them too - they will coordinate perfectly with the rest of your planned/coordinated outfits! Spectactular!!!

D~ <--- Who is actually considering making the above recipe (ahem - attempting to make the above recipe???)... :faint:

You just go for that whole making Napoleons idea. There's about 15 too many steps for me. And yeah, filling. Ick.

Love the pony-tails! That's a fun way to help count down the days 'til Disney! :)

Love the ponytail holders! Very creative and a great way to get into the spirit!

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the comments. I'm hoping she loves wearing them as much as the fun we had making them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter