Beading Business...

AdventureGuru

<font color=darkgreen>HA! Do men come with instruc
So, I've been beading for all of ...Oh...a couple of months...and have managed to sell a dozen bracelets and 3 pairs of earrings...I'm making a decent profit...
But has anyone done this as a business? What goes into something like this? Where do I find places to sell these things? Boutiques?
Everyone keeps telling me that I really need to do this and that I missed my calling...so...its worth a look right?
Any insight is greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Guru

Hey! Beading is great. I'm glad to hear you are making some money on it. Post some photos of your work I'd love to see it! I am a beader too but I don't sell any of my work, just give it away to friends!

stina :wave2:

thanks for posting...
I was just giving it to friends...and then people just asked "how much?" and "Can you make me 3?" my largest order is 5...I've doubled what I put into it for supplies....

Wow, wish people would do that to me. It's not very European to ask that type of stuff more's the pity.

Check out some of the beading/jewelry communities, bead and button for example.

jjpenguin said:
Wow, wish people would do that to me. It's not very European to ask that type of stuff more's the pity.

Check out some of the beading/jewelry communities, bead and button for example.

What do you mean its more the pity?

I make ID badge necklaces, among other things. I have made many for myself, and remade a bracelet into one for a really good friend, I didn't charge her because she has helped me out a few times. Well, she was approached by someone from work about me making one. So, I asked what colors she wanted, and if she wanted a matching eyeglass holder too, she answered yes, so I made them up over the weekend. I gave them to her on approval, and told her if she liked them, it would be $15 for both. She is a friend, and that isn't too much over my cost for the 2 pieces, plus the design time, and then making them up. I also told her if anyone asks her, to say I'm selling the holders for $20. Would you believe she acted surprised at the cost? I thought I was giving her a really good deal, I used crystals, and all glass beads, but I guess she thought it was going to be cheaper, or free.

My DH thinks I should sell them for $25, but I thought that was high. He thinks I should go to the gift shop and put them in there. There is another girl at work who is asking me to make one for her, and she is willing to pay $5...I said...Um...NO. Sad to say, but people really don't want to buy for what you are worth.

ddavis860 said:
Sad to say, but people really don't want to buy for what you are worth.

So true, I had a beautiful bracelet full of beads that cost me at least a full day to make and someone suggested that $20 would be a good price!!

It's so difficult to figure out pricing, I think you have to have a win some/lose some thing going on. Somethings take hardly any time and you can sell for more and others you will never get people to pay the labour...

Adventureguru - I mean it is a pity that in Europe people are not likely to ask to buy something off you if they like it. They say they like it, you say you made it, they say Wow, and the conversation is over. If you offer to sell it or make one, it will usually be treated as a joke.

There's a Saturday market near my town that I occasionally attend. This year, there are more jewelry booths than any other type. Most of them sell the same type of jewelry I make for myself and friends and they're asking a lot for it - for ex. $30 for a bracelet that maybe cost $5 to make (and was a very simple design that wouldn't have taken long to make).

I can often look at the beads and get an approximate idea of what they cost. They don't seem to be selling much either. I guess my point is that with so many people beading, that the market is bit saturated, at least in my area.

Several of my friends and co-workers have asked me about buying things I've made and so far I've said no because I don't want to go through what dddavis860 is. Some of them will probably get them for Christmas or for their birthday though.

I've heard that pricing should be 1/2 or double your materials...so something that is $10 in materials you should charge $15-$20...at least this is what I am told...So, for an easy bracelet I'm making $20...

DDavis-where do you get the supplies for your id badge holders? I've been looking for something like that...I just can't find the right items...thanks!

AdventureGuru said:
DDavis-where do you get the supplies for your id badge holders? I've been looking for something like that...I just can't find the right items...thanks!

I get most of my beads from Fire Mountain. I use a large split ring to hold the badge clip.

I also get a discount at Mike's so I buy things there, like crimps.

jjpenguin said:
Adventureguru - I mean it is a pity that in Europe people are not likely to ask to buy something off you if they like it. They say they like it, you say you made it, they say Wow, and the conversation is over. If you offer to sell it or make one, it will usually be treated as a joke.

WOW! Thats terrible! I've got people asking for pieces...unique to them...EVEN MY MOM wants something (even offerd to PAY for 14k gold beads -I usually only work in Sterling and I havent found REAL 14k bead...everything is plated :sad2: ) For my MOM to ASK for something that I've made is HUGE!

AdventureGuru said:
WOW! Thats terrible! I've got people asking for pieces...unique to them...EVEN MY MOM wants something (even offerd to PAY for 14k gold beads -I usually only work in Sterling and I havent found REAL 14k bead...everything is plated :sad2: ) For my MOM to ASK for something that I've made is HUGE!

Fire Mountain Gems had 14k gold.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter