Beaches??

stacynak

Mouseketeer
Not sure where to put this topic, so I apologize if this is the wrong place......

As my ticker says, we will be taking our family's first trip to WDW in June. We live in Alaska & will be flying to Atlanta first, spending a week at my in-laws before driving to Orlando for a week & then we will drive back to Orlando. We had intended to rent a car but my in-laws have graciously offered to let us use their SUV for the week. It all seems to be falling into place. :cool1:

Here's my question: we would like to take out kiddos to the beach on our way back to ATL. We are totaly beach junkies... we go to Hawaii every year & they've been to CA, Mexico, and several beaches in Europe but never to a beach 'back east'. The hubby & I love the beaches down near Bonita Springs but that is out of our way. What would you seasoned visitors suggest for us? I appreciate any & all suggestions!:)

I'm not sure, as you have a lot of beach experience you will find something else that is great and convenient.

I enjoy all the shells on Sanibel Island. Perhaps since you will be on your way north you might want a famous beach. Maybe Daytona. Possibly Cocoa though it is due east of WDW so not that helpful on getting down the road.

drive I-75 to/from ATL. My mother lives in Bradenton so we usually hot a Gulf beach after WDW. Normally you would take the turnpike to I-75 to cut some miles but heading to the beach won't add a lot of time.

Anna Marie Island is an older community with many of the buildings built around the '50s (my guess). A few good restaurants and nice beaches. Longboat Key is the island down. It's very quiet. Most of the shopping and restaurants are hidden. We haven't stayed there but will probably do so this next June. Siesta Key is the next island south. We stayed there one time. The hotel was older but the rooms had been recently refurbished. It was a last minute trip during Easter weekend and we had to stay at a hotel across the street from a public beach. The one good thing was that the town is small and the hotel was an easy walk to most restaurants and shops.

That's low time for that area of Florida so room rates are very reasonable. Last trip we stopped in Panama City for a couple of nights after our trip and room rates were $230 - $250 a night for a beach front hotel that was decent. The Hilton in Longboat Key is about that much for an ocean facing room and significantly less for a pool view or other room.

I assume you will take I-95 from Disney world to ATL. If so then Cocco Beach is a bit out of the way. Daytona beach on the other hand does not require a Toll road and is on the way "Home". It is right on I-95 and does allow driving on the beach for a unique expierence

Mike

I'm a gulf beach snob, but due to location I have tried lots of east coast beaches since moving here. I have another vote for Daytona Beach. I've gone to a lot of the small beaches, Cocoa, New Smyrna, Daytona, and Jacksonville. Daytona is not really out of your way, very nice, super soft sands, you can drive on the beach, lots of great food, etc. The Daytona flea market is fun too. Try the pickle place at the market and CrabbyJoes on the pier on the beach! ;)

We took a few days before our last trip to WDW to enjoy at a beach. We opted for Daytona. It was a nice beach area, quiet, and a lot of things to do - if you want. We were told by several people that the Daytona area is pretty quiet - except during Bike Week and race weeks.

And as a PP stated - a toll road is not required between WDW & Daytona.

Have fun!

OP, I have toss in a vote for either Clearwater or Treasure Island. We have spent a lot of time on the Gulf and Atlantic beaches over the years and INMO the Gulf is just nicer all around. Warmer water, cleaner sand, etc.

I'm a beach buddy! When going into the beach, always have a camera with you to capture the best memories in your vacation... :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter