• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Beach Renourishment at HHI

Debby7

DIS Veteran
Did anyone else get a letter about the beach renourishment at HHI? The area in front of the beach house is supposed to be worked on in May . The letter said that there would be still access to the beach but that more walking would be involved and that we may see and hear the work. Anyone know of other good spots to access the beach within a quick drive from the resort?

I got the letter too. I was also wondering if anyone had been there while this was happening in the past and could tell us how much of an inconvenience it is. I'm already going with a 1 year old, not sure how much more I can take...LOL!

We are traveling with Son, daughter in law, 5 yr old and 4 month old. Would like to keep the walk to beach access reasonable. I know we could go to the beach at Folly Field if the disney beach is just too unsettling. This is an annual that trip that the 5 year old really looks forward to. I signed up for email updates on the renourishment project. Hoping there is a chance they will be done with Disney before we get there.

According to the thread on TripAdvisor the project was already pushed back a month on its start date. I am not sure I would count on it being done early.

If it is running that late, we may be there before they are. . Will just have to see how the timing works out

We got the letter too. We are supposed to be there May 19th for the weekend. The letter did not say when he project would begin or end. Anyone know he dates?

How long ago do you think Disney knew about it? We received the letter yesterday too.

Well - it looks like this refurbishment may last until start of June (or keeps getting delayed)! We just got a letter this week and our stay is 1-Jun to 7-Jun. Does anyone have any more detail on how much of an impact this really is? Is it just more walking but the beach area thats open is just as nice? Or does it really impact the beach experience?

I know there are plenty of other things to do on HHI and at the Disney HHI resort - but for us this week is all about the beach! (We just took a Disney Cruise in Jan only to be unable to get in to Castaway Cay for our second cruise in a row! And we missed Cozumel beach time due to rain! So needless to say these Ohioans are desperate for beach!) I am trying to weigh options and avoid another beach disappointment!

Thanks,
Kevin

Ok - looks like I am answering my own question but found this news article which also then lead me to the project page: http://www.live5news.com/story/31284855/parts-of-hhi-beach-to-close-for-renourishment-project
http://www.hiltonheadislandsc.gov/projects/beachrenourish/2016beachrenourish/

Seems like they will work in small sections at a time: “We are definitely open for business. The area of beach that is impacted directly at any one time is about a thousand or so feet in length,” said Scott Liggett, Hilton Head Island Director of Public Projects and Facilities.

“The area that’s disturbed at any one time is relatively small. Even though we have this area of about a thousand feet that’s closed, we will be making accommodations for folks to get to the beach by walking behind our construction area, one direction or the other,” Liggett said.

And some more info from the project page:

On average, the filling process should move along the shoreline at a rate of about 200 to 300 feet per day. Because the active work area may spread out at least 1,000 feet or more along the beach, several days of work activity will occur seaward of any one piece of oceanfront property. Although the only noise typifying the construction process is that of the bulldozers shaping the sand as it is deposited, adjacent property owners, or renters, may experience short-term minor inconveniences. The construction activity effect to any one location on the island generally lasts for three or four days at a time as the renourishment operation moves past each property within the project limits.

Similarly, as the fill placement progresses, thousand-foot sections of the beach are closed temporarily to pedestrian access. Once placed and rough-graded, however, the new beach is immediately reopened to the public.​

The project page has great info including map.

Kevin

We are booked for Memorial Day Weekend. Thinking we will cancel due to the letter. We love going to the beach, but a 1,000 feet is a long way to walk around.

When should this be complete in the area near Disney's access? We will be there July 17th and I hope we are safe.

When should this be complete in the area near Disney's access? We will be there July 17th and I hope we are safe.

Assuming the project remains on schedule - and that's always a big assumption! - you will be fine. According to the timeline map, they are way north past the Disney beach house area in July. They move South to North and looks like they are in front of the beach house area Mid-May to early June (that's the timeline section right in front of the Beach House if I read the map correctly). We are there first week of June and I'm hoping they are just past when we get there! But we still see and hear the work though.

Kevin

Evidently, Trip Advisor is saying the project will be a month late starting so not sure if that map is up to date

I received an update today . Sand placement is now scheduled to begin on June 15th and the area in front of the Beach house is scheduled for Sept-Oct. Project map timeline is posted on Town of HHI web site. So glad we decided to make the best of it and not change our May ressie !!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter