Beach in Florida about 1 day drive from Disney?

AnnieDan_Artlover

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone!
We're going to WDW next May for 2 weeks. We're driving there from Québec, and would like to spend a couple of days at the beach on our way back home...

We first tought of Myrtle Beach (my mom wanted to go there for a long time), but it seems the water will be on the chilly side at the end of May (plus, it's going to be Bike week! :moped:... we're not fans of motorbikes too much).

So we've decide to go for a Florida beach... but we don't quite know which one to choose! Altough my mom really wishes it's at least a 4-5 hours drive north of Disney, so it cuts down our trip home afterwards (it was the beauty of MB).

Please, not too much on the north side (like, still in Florida), unless you can asure me the water temp is higher than the 70sF, because that's cold:scared:, and we want to be able to swim a little!

No need for a place with lots of activites : we're going there to relax, lay on the sand and take a swim in the waves... The less the people the better.

Are the water temps hot enough in north Florida in May (around the 15th)? Is it a good time to go to the beach? Or should we plan somewthing else to prevent the "Disney depression" before going back home? (yeah, it's a lot for that reason!)

Thanks in advance!

check Amelia Island. surf in May is 76.5 average. I have never been so I cant give you an opinion. but do a search for it and you will find a bunch of info:)

The Atlantic beaches that far south are actually not too bad in May. We've been in VA beach in early May several times and it's always been nice and the water comfortable.

However, I'd still probably opt for a gulf beach. If it's Bike Week in Mrytle Beach- I'd avoid it. Now, we do own a bike and are fans of these events but they can be crowded and they do tend to kind of take over the whole area.

I'd consider possibly going to Clearwater area or even maybe down to Sanibel Island--- I haven't been there but I heard it's beautiful. Supposed to be great shell collecting.

Thanks for the good help (many suggestions already!:))

But may I remind everyone : we really want a
beach north east of WDW ::MickeyMo... because what we want is a little rest/break in our drive back home. Not something that could make it longer.. (altough, I wouldn't mind... but my mom would!)

In fact, the further away from Disney the better (like, if it's 8 hrs away instead of 5, great! But along our route up north...). It's like instead of sleeping in a cheap motel on our ordinary drive, we're going to take a turn to a beach and stay in a cheap motel there a little before going back on our route back home... :rotfl:
It doesn't have to be exactly "a day" drive away, but if it's just 2 hrs away... it's not really worth it for us...

We we're first considering South Carolina (even Virginia- Beach!), but were worried it would be too cold to swim in the ocean (and that's really the whole plan!). *remember, we're going around May the 15th, not memorial day!

...Looking at drive times, I realize Florida beaches north east of Disney cannot be more than 4 hours drive... and Georgia : 6hrs... But keep the suggestions coming, I'll try to convince my mom!
popcorn::
Unless of course you tell me the info I had about South Caroline coast waters being too cold at that time of year is wrong... for there surely is something else than Myrtle Beach and it's bike week?! ;))

:thanks:

Thanks for the good help (many suggestions already!:))

But may I remind everyone : we really want a
beach north east of WDW ::MickeyMo... because what we want is a little rest/break in our drive back home. Not something that could make it longer.. (altough, I wouldn't mind... but my mom would!)

In fact, the further away from Disney the better (like, if it's 8 hrs away instead of 5, great! But along our route up north...). It's like instead of sleeping in a cheap motel on our ordinary drive, we're going to take a turn to a beach and stay in a cheap motel there a little before going back on our route back home... :rotfl:
It doesn't have to be exactly "a day" drive away, but if it's just 2 hrs away... it's not really worth it for us...

We we're first considering South Carolina (even Virginia- Beach!), but were worried it would be too cold to swim in the ocean (and that's really the whole plan!). *remember, we're going around May the 15th, not memorial day!

...Looking at drive times, I realize Florida beaches north east of Disney cannot be more than 4 hours drive... and Georgia : 6hrs... But keep the suggestions coming, I'll try to convince my mom!
popcorn::
Unless of course you tell me the info I had about South Caroline coast waters being too cold at that time of year is wrong... for there surely is something else than Myrtle Beach and it's bike week?! ;))

:thanks:
cocoa beach. it is about forty five minutes east of disney and a great beach. also if a disney ship is in port you will see it. staying there four nights before our disney vacation this august.

You might want to consider Hilton Head Island, SC, or one of the other islands in the area. It will be about 5-6 hours drive from Orlando, but you do have to get off the interstate and drive a bit out of your way to get there. I think it's about an hour from Savannah if that helps.

The suggestion of Amelia Island, FL is also a good one for location, although I haven't been there so can't speak for the beaches. It is just north of Jacksonville, FL so would be about a 2 1/2 - 3 hour drive.

Susan

North from Orlando, Myrtle beach is about 8 hours away. So if you are thinking that may be too chilly you are going to have to stop sooner or go a bit out of your way.

Here's another vote for Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. It's on your way home, but a little ways off of I 95.

It's very laid back, not touristy at all. You could check out Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort. There are rooms available on a per night cash basis, although probably not a bargain price, you would have a kitchenette or a full kitchen with a larger room to save money on meals.

There are a few hotels and many timeshare places to stay. redweekdotcom would be helpful to investigate depending how many days you want to spend at the beach.

We love Tybee Island, GA. It's about a 20 min drive or so from Savannah, GA (which is another great place to visit if you haven't yet!). Tybee at that time of year shouldn't be too touristy. We love the small town feel to it, no high rise hotels or anything like that. We've been in late May and the water was fine, so I'm assuming it would be okay a couple weeks prior to that!

Good luck picking a spot -you've gotten some great suggestions! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter