• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Beach Club pool

kimr210

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if the BC provides life vests for kids or if you need to bring your own. I have run into places that only let children use their life jackets. Also what is the height requirement for the water slide at the pool there? My DD will be 5.5 (1/2 counts at 5 :) ). Any info would be correct.

Thanks

Kim

You can get a life vest at BC at no cost. They are at the place in the center of Stormalong Bay where you can rent inner tubes.

I don't remember seeing a height requirement for the slide. They won't let you wear a life vest on it (I think) and you have to keep in mind that the slide dumps you into fairly deep water, so if a child can't swim fairly strongly they might have trouble getting away from the end of the slide to the edge of the pool.

You also have to keep in mind, to enter the steps to the slide you must go out of Storm along bay, across the path (the one that takes you anywhere from the Gateway to EPCOT, Boardwalk and all around Beach/Yacht Club Resort), and then up the steps.....it's not within the pool area at all.

I would think your dd is probably too little to ride that slide....it is a BIG slide. However, if you leave SAB and go to the "shipwreck" (where you get on the big slide), there is a little kid slide on the ship itself. It opens up to a little kiddie pool. There is a really nice deck that overlooks Crescent Lake on there for an "adult" to supervise....it is a really nice area for little ones who are not brave enough for the big slide.

:wave:

Beca

Also be careful of young swimmers in the currents area, misnamed in my opinion the lazy river. This is area has a swift current and is 8 feet deep. Definitely not an area to let young children into by themselves.

Yes, life vests are free plus you may keep them for the length of your stay without returning them until your last day. The person at the inner-tube rental will tell you all about it.

The slide is very large. You will just have to check it out with your DD when you go. I am sure that the walk up the spiral staircase and seeing the height and length of the slide will give you a much better idea if she can handle it. She might simply tell you she changed her mind about the whole thing.

The childrens slide by the entrance to the large slide is great. The pool water is very warm. I know that the entire pool at SAB is supposed to be about 80, but when we went in Feb it most certainly was not. In fact the small pool with the slide felt like a beginners hot tub next to SAB.

Have a great time :cool1:

They will definitely not let you use a life vest on the slide. Also, many, many times I have seen the guard who sits at the end of the slide, where the kids come flying into the water, warn parents that they may not hover in the water right at the slide exit. The child is supposed to be able to swim on her own,from where she is dumped into the water, over to the edge. The guards are very professional about whta is allowed and what is not.

They also have some great staff who, during busier periods I think, will organize little games with the kids, with beach balls and the like. You will surely love it there.

Michelle

Sammie said:
Also be careful of young swimmers in the currents area, misnamed in my opinion the lazy river. This is area has a swift current and is 8 feet deep. Definitely not an area to let young children into by themselves.

This is what kept us from staying at the Y&BC last year. This year, the kids will be better swimmers since they are having their second year of swimming lessons.

BCStormalongBaywTara2-10-06.jpg
allisonswonderland said:
what is the cost of tube rental there, anyone know?

$3/hr $10/day - for a single sized inner tube - they also have some double tube thingies..... don't know what to call them - two holes instead of one
It's in the bottomr right hand corner of this picture... green - not sure if the price is different
BCStormalongBay22-10-06.jpg

Does the children's pool area/slide have chairs etc for parents to sit. Is it an area where you can spend the afternoon and let the kids swim and play if they are small??

vbarry said:
Does the children's pool area/slide have chairs etc for parents to sit. Is it an area where you can spend the afternoon and let the kids swim and play if they are small??

Well, there are LOTS of "kids areas" at SAB...my dd loves the shallow area (about 1-2 1/2 ft) where she can sit, play in the sand, and build sand castles.

But, if you are asking about the kids area on the ship...yes, there are benches where parents can sit and watch their little ones go down the slide. Since the edge of the ship actually "overlaps" the lake, you get a beautiful lake view, and there is usually a really nice breeze there as well. However, there is NO shade on the ship, so on a hot day...that might be a bother.

:wave:

Beca

vbarry said:

There are a few benches to sit on, but they are probably not comfortable enough to sit in for an afternoon. When we went we spent about 1-2 hours with our DD in that pool. She made friends and went down the slide while we sat in the pool by the stairs, not on the stairs, and talked. A very relaxing time. The view, as mentioned by Beca is a nice feature as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter