• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Beach club or Poly?

paulad

Mouseketeer
Which hotel do you prefer -- Beach Club or Polynesian? we are traveling in July and I'm thinking Beach Club because we'll be closer to Epcot and lots more restaurants, plus it has a great pool. Kids are 13 and 15 and they love the MK so staying at Poly would be convenient but I think there's more evening variety at Beach Club. Anyone want to weigh in?

OMG. No contest. Beach Club all the way over the dark and gloomy and outdated Poly!

The Beach Club is a destination in and of itself, and there is a wealth of restaurants to chose from throughout the circle of resorts there.

We've stayed at both and for us, it would be the Poly. We love the tropical atmosphere and being so close to MK with a distant view of the castle every day can't be beat. The rooms are much bigger at the Poly, with all rooms having a daybed. We also love having the beach for watching the fireworks, as well as having the monorail for visiting the GF and CR where there are alot of different dining options. Plus Captain Cooks is our favorite resort CS. With all of that said, you really can't go wrong with either resort as they are both great places to stay, but our choice would be the Poly.

Which hotel do you prefer -- Beach Club or Polynesian? we are traveling in July and I'm thinking Beach Club because we'll be closer to Epcot and lots more restaurants, plus it has a great pool. Kids are 13 and 15 and they love the MK so staying at Poly would be convenient but I think there's more evening variety at Beach Club. Anyone want to weigh in?
We have stayed at each one of these resorts at club level. PR we had MK view. BC garden view. Each provided its own distinct Disney feel. We preferred the iconic feel (Castle, monorail, ferry, GF, CR, Seven Seas Lagoon) we get from staying at the PR-Hawaii. With park hoppers at the BC you can catch snacks, lunch and/or dinner in Epcot (5 minute walk). International entrance into Epcot rarely has a line, so security is not a delay and you are right at England and France. If you have a lot of meals in the WS at Epcot the monorail, security and walking back to WS adds up in comparison to the BC location. Also SAB is a controlled use pool and PR in July can get a little dicey as the resort management is complaint driven in ensuring paying guest can get around the resort as non resort guest can grid lock the resort facilities and grounds (pool/beach). We avoid the PR around the 4th of July. Pool hopping at the PR is common. Disney board sites have probably contribute to the abuse of the PR.

Beach Club, OP for the very reasons you named. It is close to Epcot and all of the restaurants. Your kids might like walking to the Boardwalk side for the arcade and then as you said, the pool. The rooms are bright and cheery too.
If it's busy, the Poly Volcano pool will be super crowded because it's so small for the size of the resort.

I love both for different reasons.
I love being able to watch Wishes and Electric Water Parade from the Poly beach, being able to see MK- The Castle, Space Mtn, GF & CR walking along the beach. Beautiful landscapping, has the largest rooms, and 2 of my fav restaurants.
Also has great transportation to MK, the resorts, and a walking path to TTC for Epcot Monorail.
The one thing I didn't like about Poly was the hallways, they need some TLC in my opinion, but wasn't a deal breaker.

Also love BC for the beautiful lobby, and bright pretty rooms, walking distance to Epcot and a 20 min walk to DHS or boat. Nice dining options- we enjoy Cape May and Captains Grille. Lots of dining options in Epcot WS too! You can walk over to The Boardwalk too. Hands down best pool on property. Also everything is under one roof at BC, so if you want to go get a mug refill, it's only an elevator ride away.

They are both great resorts, no bad choices here. I couldn't pick a fav.

I have three boys, ages 16. 14, and 10. I gave them the choice of Polynesian or BC this July. They have stayed at both in the past. They begged me for the Polynesian. I think it's the atmosphere and the fact that the monorail makes the MK and Epcot seem very close.

My opinion is you can't go wrong at either place. They will enjoy either one, so pick the one you are most interested in. :)

We have never stayed at the Poly BUT for the money we have chosen to stay at the BC in the past for reasons previously stated. Poly seems dark and outdated even if the dark woods are in keeping with the whole theme the resort has always felt very 70's-ish when we have visited for dining events. We loved the BC for location, atmosphere, pool, transportation, dining.

No matter where you stay you will have a great time in the parks and I think a lot of people loose sight of that fact. Enjoy!:thumbsup2

How about Both??? We had been struggling hard with the choice between the two, having not stayed at either. I couldn't help but feel that when we were booked at one we would be missing out on the great stuff about the other, and vice versa...:headache: our solution?? A split stay, 5 nights at each this July!!!:yay: at least from that point on, we'll know which one we like best! :goodvibes

Beach Club is our absolute favorite Deluxe resort and have stayed in there many times (once at the resort and twice at BCV). They have an awesome pool, great restaurants, the atmosphere and grounds are gorgeous (love the smell of the lobby when you first walk through the doors), Beaches and Cream is a must, and you can't beat walking to Epcot or DHS, however we like to take the ferry to DHS since we want to save our energy for the park.

But with that said, we are going to be staying at the Poly for 3 of our 12 nights on our next trip and we couldn't be more excited about it. We have visited it many times and just love the tropical feel to it. Also, we are looking forward to staying in a monorail resort so we are not tied to using just the buses. This stay will be my DH and both of my DD's first time and my third...the last time I stayed there was back in the 80's with my parents. I personally think that whatever resort you choose you will be happy with because both have awesome amenities to them and are both really close to parks. Good luck deciding, either one will be great.

I've stayed at both & we prefer BC for the location to Epcot & DHS, SAB & the Boardwalk atmosphere. I love Poly too, but that will be saved for future girls only trips, as I feel it has a more quiet, laid back feeling to it.

I've stayed at both, and while the Poly was the fulfillment of a dream, BC felt more like home to us. We were so much more comfortable at BC on so many levels. The beds were also more comfortable than the Poly. We LOVED the huge pool area. There were plenty of chairs and shade. It was also so amazing to be able to walk right up to EPCOT, and all the options for dining available right there. I can't emphasize enough how cool that is.

I didn't miss all the transportation options at the Poly at all. Though BC does share buses with the other resorts (like the Poly), the loop it has to take felt much shorter than sharing buses with the other monorail resorts. Plus, at BC, you only really have to use the buses to get to 2 of 4 parks. You can walk to EPCOT, and walk or boat to DHS. We really felt more like we were in the middle of everything at BC.

I've stayed at both & we prefer BC for the location to Epcot & DHS, SAB & the Boardwalk atmosphere. I love Poly too, but that will be saved for future girls only trips, as I feel it has a more quiet, laid back feeling to it.
I am in full agreement with the PP (except for the "Girls Only Trips" part). We, too, have stayed at both - I actually got married at The Poly (Sunset Beach) and have stayed there twice - but for some, odd reason, it just doesn't appeal to me (us)... I just can't say why....
You have actually given some of the best reasons for staying at The BC yourself (plus the bright and airy rooms !); and yet, The Poly, in the evening, with the view of The Castle, well....
Be cautious of the "monorail" thing right now though; because, as I am to understand it, it may soon be down for rehab (if it isn't already)....
I have never done a "split-stay", but I guess it could be an option... but the bottom-line for me would be The Beach Club.... :wizard:

BC is my favorite resort! I love it for the same reasons everyone else does, proximity to Epcot/Studios, fabulous pool, beaches n cream, beautiful guest rooms...etc.
The poly is a nice resort, the grounds are really lovely but I did not care for the guest rooms(theming didn't appeal to me & room just felt kind of dreary, room was very spacious though).
I know I'm in the minority but I think the monorail is overrated & the monorail resorts are way over priced.

I know I'm in the minority but I think the monorail is overrated & the monorail resorts are way over priced.

Yes you are in the minority, but I agree with you 100%. I'm just not a fan of the monorail at all!

what makes the pool at Beach Club so spectacular? versus other resorts?

Storm Along Bay isn't a pool, it's a 3-acre water park-like complex. It includes a sandy bottom portion, a beach, a lazy river, and other fun areas like the swirling waters section, the bubbling bay, the huge pirate ship water slide, etc. There is no other pool on property that even comes close in size or ammenities. It's gated with room key access only for BC/YC guests because so many people would come from other resorts to try & use it.

Regarding the split stay - last month I did a BC/Poly split stay & LOVED it. I'd do that again in a heartbeat. I'd say though that I'd do Poly first, only because to us, BC feels more comfortable & we just can't get enough of the Epcot Resort Area.

We were in the same situation as you, where to go this summer. July 2010 we chose the Poly and loved it. Loved the rooms, location and theme.

The only con and why we are trying the YC this summer is the Poly's pool. My DS17 and DD14 (now) thought the Poly main pool was borring and small. We take a mid-day break every day in the summer and the pool is very important to us. I think the entire family will enjoy Stormalong Bay, especially the teenagers.

I have never stayed at either one but we're weighing the pros and cons of both for our next trip. The problem is... I LOVE Poly's styling and the monorail and BC for all the reasons you stated. I just don't care for the look of the rooms... it's nothing special to me and I want to be immersed in Disney 24/7 when I'm there.

I have never stayed at either one but we're weighing the pros and cons of both for our next trip. The problem is... I LOVE Poly's styling and the monorail and BC for all the reasons you stated. I just don't care for the look of the rooms... it's nothing special to me and I want to be immersed in Disney 24/7 when I'm there.

Split stay, split stay, split stay!!! Best of both worlds!!! :yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter