"Be sure to rate me excellent"

Teresa Pitman

Disney Grandma
I have a leased Toyota Corolla. Whenever I take it in for service or an oil change, I'll get a phone call or email asking me to rate the service. I'm fine with that, in fact I think it's a good thing.

However, this is the part that bugs me. The person who changes the oil (or whatever is needed) (different person each time) always tells me to be sure to give him an "excellent" rating and that it's really important I give that rating, nothing less. This happened when I first leased the car as well - the salesperson went on at length about needing to be given that "excellent" rating every time, blah, blah, blah.

It makes me really uncomfortable. Why not just give me excellent service so that I will naturally rate you as excellent? I hate being pressured to give a particular rating. I'm not sure if they can tell how I rated them or not but it makes me worried.

And what's the point of doing these surveys if people are being pressured to always give "excellent" no matter what? How meaningful are they going to be?

I just wish they'd stop it.

When I bought my Honda, my salesman told me the same thing in person. And then in follow-up emails. And texts. And voicemails. I heard from him more than once a day for the first ten days I had the car. "Make sure you give me a 5 out of 5! It's very important! Just making sure you're happy with the car!"

When I did finally get the call from Honda I was THRILLED! Never so happy to take a survey in my life. I told them that I was essentially being harassed by the salesman, that I was very DISSATISFIED with him and his pestering, and that I wouldnt recommend him to anyone.

I looked on the dealership's website a few months later and he was no longer listed as an employee ;)

This has only been requested of me on a cruise ship. It's not something I've heard anyone here mentioned having been asked. I have to say I hope it remains this way because it's annoying to me on cruises.

When I bought my Honda, my salesman told me the same thing in person. And then in follow-up emails. And texts. And voicemails. I heard from him more than once a day for the first ten days I had the car. "Make sure you give me a 5 out of 5! It's very important! Just making sure you're happy with the car!"

When I did finally get the call from Honda I was THRILLED! Never so happy to take a survey in my life. I told them that I was essentially being harassed by the salesman, that I was very DISSATISFIED with him and his pestering, and that I wouldnt recommend him to anyone.

I looked on the dealership's website a few months later and he was no longer listed as an employee ;)
Sadly, it may not have actually been his fault. Many locations now tell their employees to ask the customers what they can do to get that excellent rating. As well as that, if they don't pull those excellent ratings, they will be fired. The employee is out of luck either way.

I will say that I've mostly just run into that on cruise ships. And I know they have to give (what I call) the "excellent speech". After the first time they give it, I tell them, "OK, you've done what you need to do. If I hear that 'please give me an excellent' thing again, it will seriously affect whether you get it or not." And follow through. I also mention on our after cruise surveys (to management) that I take a dim view of them requiring their employees to even give the speech in the first place.

I used to work as a service advisor at a car dealership and I received bonuses based on those scores. I never bugged anyone to give me the highest score but it did make me realize myself that when I complete a form and I'm happy with the service, that I should give the highest score and not just say it was good. If I get good service in a restaurant or a dealership, I make sure to complete the survey and give them high marks if I feel they did a good job. I always try to let people know verbally, as well, because I think they often get beaten down by complainers all day.

Yes, the Ford dealer bugged the crap out of me to do that. They did deserve it, except that it was my car, and every email they sent me, addressed me by my husband's name. So I noted that in the survey. They called me and said they had some lame software that would only enter one person's name. Why in the world then, wouldn't you address them as "the Smith Family"?

I have another problem in addition to the 'excellent begging' service guy at the Mazda dealership.

Not only do I not think he is excellent (he is always in a super rush, very uncomfortable) but apparently we have been assigned him.

So unless I tell him outright that I don't care for his service and he is not excellent, I'm stuck with the guy.

Why do people put us in this position?

Ford dealer made a big deal out of it with our purchase. The sales guy was actually very nice & easy to work with. He actually apologized in advance for the slew of e-mails he knew we'd be getting.

Ford dealer made a big deal out of it with our purchase. The sales guy was actually very nice & easy to work with. He actually apologized in advance for the slew of e-mails he knew we'd be getting.

Same thing for us with our recent Ford purchase- about 10 phone calls and 4 email surveys, along with the spiel as we were leaving to rate "excellent". Funny thing was on the last phone call, the lady was all about "excellent" while I was trying to ask her about some misinformation on my transferred plate that the dealer did. Definitely not "excellent". :headache:

I hate those surveys too and I feel for the employees who are bound to them. Very few things in life are excellent-I am happy with good, normal service. You changed my oil without making a mistake- good, that's what I am paying you for. Unless you throw in a comfy massage chair to wait in with a private TV, I am not saying it was excellent. 8-)

As an employee at one of businesses who take surveys seriously. We all hate them. We are made to remind clients they will be surveyed. The only score that counts is a 10 and the one that they focus on is how likely would you recommend the location to your friends and families. 9 isn't good enough if you don't get a 10 you don't get bonuses and could lose your job

I'm tired of having this happen to me at most of the restaurants and shops I frequent. It's annoying as can be.

I actually just bought a new car and I know these are coming. Got hit with one at a local restaurant chain two weeks ago. Given the talk that only excellent is good enough. My complaint is with the marketing people, the management, not the employees. What kind of data are they really getting?? Instead of being punitive with "negative " data, they should desire accurate information.

The manager at the place that I get my oil changed always says, "If you feel that you can't give us all excellent on the survey, please tell me so that I can fix it." He doesn't go on any more about it, though. I know that a lot rides on the surveys.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter