Be Our Guest - recipe for the French Onion Soup?

Anal Annie

at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't help it
Does anybody know if this recipe is available anywhere? We had dinner there one night last week and we all thought it was one of the best we've ever had. I would love to try to find THAT recipe to make at home. TIA.

I can't answer that, but I do know of a very good recipe that can be found here: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2011/04/french-onion-soup/

Although I would add either some worchestershire sauce or some better than bouillion just to add a bit more depth to it.

Thank you - sounds good. Will give that a try if I can't find BOG's!! :thanks:

I heard it's the same soup from france at epcot

I had wondered if that could be the case…I have only eaten at Les Chefs once and I had the escargot instead of the soup so I couldn't compare. Now I guess I will have to start a new quest for the recipe from Les Chefs! :goodvibes

I can't answer that, but I do know of a very good recipe that can be found here: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2011/04/french-onion-soup/

Although I would add either some worchestershire sauce or some better than bouillion just to add a bit more depth to it.

So I gave it a try last night and it was delicious. I would probably half the flour next time .. it really did thicken the soup. Also I fully commited myself to this recipe by cutting up the onions etc... before I noticed the lengthy cooking times (you basically need two hours) so start early :)

Thanks mmmagique for the recipe and thanks jhryb for the heads up on the time involved… I am pretty slow in the kitchen and I cooked each step for the longest time given so I'd say it took me closer to 3 hours by the time I got them baked. I had a hard time deciding between the Vermouth and the white wine and finally went with the wine. And we didn't have any cognac or brandy so as I was making it I sent DH out for some cognac.:rotfl: It was yummy but I think next time I will fill the crocks a little higher because even tho I cut the french bread pretty thick for the croutons it still sunk down in pretty far by the time they absorbed the broth and I think I needed to move the rack up closer to the broiler to brown the top of the cheese a little more. It still tasted OK and my family liked it a lot so I'm sure I will make it again…I just need to allow plenty of time. Not sure that it was quite the caliber of Be Our Guest but it was definitely better than say Panera's!! Here's how mine turned out!!

ry%3D480

I've heard the the Be our Guest soup is made with a vegetable broth instead of the traditional beef broth in order to make it a vegetarian option. That would make it taste pretty different from other recipes.

Just registered to reply to this :) I'm a big fan of the Disney french onion soups as well, and was delighted to find something (while not exactly the same) that satisfied the craving. Trader Joes has these wonderful frozen ones that have the cheese on top and the bread inside. You put them in the oven for 40 minutes or so and they turn into this wonderful soup. When I made them, I didn't have any of the crocks to put it in so I made a tin foil bowl :rotfl2: and it still came out nicely.

Where did you find the crocks for the soup?

:rotfl: I found mine at the Salvation Army for like $1.50 each (and as it turned out they had been donated by a friend of mine - she had found them when she cleaned out her grandfather's house so they had been her grandmother's). Anyway, you can find similar ones online.

http://www.target.com/p/chefs-french-onion-soup-bowls-set-of-4/-/A-14987556?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=%7C14987556&CPNG=Unassigned&kpid=14987556&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=14987556&gclid=CLXeq4bZqb0CFeRlOgodezIAWg

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/brown-744047-onion-soup-bowls-set-of-4/232240039.html?listingId=295612107&scid=pla_google_KitchenCouture&adid=18172&gclid=CKuu8drZqb0CFaVxOgodOnUA2A

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter