Be Our Guest Dinner 28 April - Good food, service.... not so much!

BethEJo

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone!

I don't post much on the restaurant/dining threads (but I do lurk :p) but have felt the need to do a tiny review of BOG whilst I'm in the flow of writing my TR.

Last weekend, I returned home from a girly 2 week vacation staying at OKW! We were also on the DDP :goodvibes (and I'm still stuffed from all that food :rotfl:)

We had an ADR for Be Our Guest on our first day of the vacation (28th April - 6:00pm).

We checked in and waited on the bridge to be paged - just out of curiosity, is there an indoor waiting area for BOG? It was very hot when we waited, and so wasn't the most comfortable of experiences due to there not being any shade, but I was just wondering what happens when it pours with rain; do you still have to wait outside?

My friend Emma waiting on the bridge with a bunch of other guests; I promise she was happier than what she looked here! :rotfl:

We didn't have to wait long before being paged however, and at the gates, our seater presented us with a candelabra! I thought this was a nice touch to the theming :goodvibes

Emma with our seater

The whole restaurant is lovely!! I loved walking in and getting a quick 'tour'! (Sorry, I don't have the best pictures of the interior!)

I noticed the ceiling after I read somewhere on here that the faces of the babies were modelled on the children of the Imagineers - they look strangely lifelike!

Our server was Marne (I think) - she was great and very attentive, constantly refilling our drinks. Being from the UK, I have always used my UK driving licence as ID to purchase alcohol in WDW and had never had a problem; this was the only time that it had been refused in my experience, and Marne insisted that she would only accept my passport as ID, as my driver's licence was not USA issued. I understand if that's the policy, and I'm certainly not going to complain about it, but it just means that I can't comment about the beers here :rotfl:

We ordered, and I opted for the thyme-scented pork, cooked well done. I'd never been asked how I liked my pork cooked before, so opted for 'well done' to be on the safe side. My friend Emma also chose the pork, whilst the remaining two in our party went for the steak.

We waited no longer than five minutes before our entrees arrived at the table - you can't complain about the speediness of the service!

Even though the pork was cooked 'well done' it was still extremely soft and tender and very, very tasty! The red wine au jus was a good accompaniment to the pork, and I loved the au gratin macaroni! It wouldn't be my usual choice to put with a pork chop, but it tasted beautiful! And I love anything with cheese! :rotfl: I didn't get any photos of the steak I'm afraid, but I was assured it was very good... at least what they managed to eat (more on that after the photos!)

The rose napkin place settings were lovely

Despite the entrees being very good, some of the service left a lot to be desired! About 10 minutes after receiving our meals, our server returned to ask if we had finished - three of us had, but Tanya was still tackling her steak and chips (sorry, fries :goodvibes). Marne left Tanya's plate but removed the rest of ours. I'm not sure if it's just me being 'picky', but I don't like it when people's plates are removed before the whole party has finished. Apologies if that's just me being fussy :goodvibes

Not even two minutes had passed, before another, different server arrived at our table. Tanya was the only one eating now, and it was very obvious that she was still working on her food. However, this gentleman asked if she had finished, but without waiting for an answer, he took the plate and walked away. What really riled me up was the fact that whilst this happened, Tanya was mid-fork-to-mouth :crazy2: The plate disappeared and Tanya was just left with her fork in mid air. We couldn't believe it, and we called after him but he continued walking away.

We all looked at each other and thought 'did that just happen'??

Marne returned with the dessert trolley next - she asked if we'd enjoyed the meal, and we told her about what just happened, but she was completely unphased by it and just asked us what we wanted!

Emma and Tanya opted for the strawberry cupcakes and rated them highly! Who doesn't love strawberries?! Jo went for the chocolate cream puff, but really wasn't a fan - however, there was nothing wrong with the dessert and was just a matter of personal taste. She exclaimed later that she has never liked 'chocolate mouse things' so she didn't exactly make the best decision regarding dessert :lmao: I chose the lemon-raspberry cream puff (gluten free, no added sugar) and really enjoyed it! The lemon filling was lovely and not too thick and sweet! However, I was still extremely full and couldn't possibly finish it!

After finishing dessert and our drinks, we settled the bill and realised that we hadn't been there for more than 30-40 minutes :crazy2: I know the restaurant is popular and there are lots of people waiting, but that's something! We were quite disappointed by that - I think we set a new record for the quickest dinner :lmao:

So, all in all: lovely food and a lovely atmosphere and theming. Loved the addition of the snow falling at the windows and the beast walking through the restaurant periodically. It was also nice to be 'invited to meet the beast in his quarters' after the meal :goodvibes

However, we felt extremely rushed, and were not happy at all with plates being removed before people had finished. I'm not sure I feel the need to dine here again any time soon, but am not going to say I'd never return. The pork's too good for that :p Next time, I think I'd try the sauteed shrimps and scallops.

I hope that if any of you dine there, that you also have a lovely meal :goodvibes I also hope however that you get a few more minutes to take your time and breathe!

Thanks for reading!!

I agree that a properly paced meal is very important. I don't like being rushed and I don't like waiting too long to close the meal. I can't believe someone would remove a plate mid bite. Really? That's just wrong.

I am eating here in June and I really hope its not a 40 minute meal. So sorry your experience was not the best. I guess that's one way to seat more people. :sad2:

Okay, I swear I replied to this once but it seems to have never shown up.... anyway -- short & sweet: it's appalling that your friend's plate was taken out from under her fork!!! I don't care where you are, or how busy a place is, that is simply unacceptable! She really should write a letter of complaint to Disney about that. Who knows if it will make a difference but every voice should be heard!

Dear Lord, if they had taken my plate mid meal I would have chased him down with my fork and given him a good poke. How rude of him. That is simply unacceptable.

Hi
I think I would've told them that I'm only paying part of the bill, since they took my food away before I could finish it!!

I think I'll take some super glue along to our meal. That should keep my plate on the table long enough, ya' think?:rolleyes1

Seriously, thanks for the great report! That GF dessert looks awesome. I wish my GF hubby were coming along to try it. I suppose I could forgo my dessert and bring it home to him, but ... no. :scratchin (It would not be fresh by the time I got it home to him.)

Wow, talk about trying to move people in and out as quickly as possible. I think I would have gotten up and ran after the guy if he would have done that to anyone in my party!:mad:

That was so rude and I would DEFINITELY drop guest relations an email about it. They need to know that they are rushing guests in and out of there, something was definitely up with that if it's not the "norm"...:confused3 If they are rushing guests like that so they can schedule more ADRs then they have to revisit that. Did you notice if the Rose gallery room (the room to the right of the ballroom where you were seated) was opened during dinner? I know it wasn't for the first few months but then around Easter time posters had mentioned it was opened during dinner (which would accommodate a lot more ADRs)...

Also a little confusing to me was why your server wouldn't accept your driver's license for ID?? If this hasn't been an issue in WDW why would it be here?:confused3 I am not familiar with UK licenses but that just doesn't make sense to me, isn't it a "legal" document? :confused3

I also agree they need a better "waiting" area, unless you can go inside past the doors to wait there is nowhere but outside to wait (I thought about that during the summer months of the major heat and sun OR even worse the torrential downpours and storms--especially at lunch when you have to wait in line).

We had a Similar experience with them trying to push us out. What upset is was that in the side dining room it is too dark to read the menu and the waitresses (2) did not know it enough to explain it properly. We ended up walking into the main dining room to read the menu. I am glad you food was fine because both of ours were overly salt/peppered. We will NOT return here nor recommend it. For these prices they need to offer a vastly better experience.

I too find it rude when they take the plates away until everyone is finished.
Cant remember where it was but when someone finished, they came and took the plate away. Just find it rude when they constantly disturb us.
however to take the plate away, when someone is still eating just isnt on.

Sounds like you still had a good time though :thumbsup2

I think I'll take some super glue along to our meal. That should keep my plate on the table long enough, ya' think?:rolleyes1

:rotfl:

Oh heck NO! I dare anyone to touch DH & plate DH will make a scene!! That's ridiculous & uncalled for!! Also the fact it only took a max of 40 min would tick me off, I understand they are popular but I spent my time on the phone making ADRs & I paid for my meal I'd want my hour/hour & a half it normally takes us at a TS IF that's what I wanted!

Good to hear the food is good, we have a ADR in Sept!

ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & BWI Sept 8-15, 2013

We felt that we were trying to be rushed in December, so it sounds like things haven't improved in that department! We were still eating our appetisers when they tried to bring us our entrees. I politely told the server were still eating so he turned tail not saying a word!
When the entrees were brought back ( at the right time!) they were warm at best, not really hot.
My DD can be a little slow at eating, DH and I had finished ( and had our plates removed - annoys me too) and three times our server tried to get us to order our dessert, and three times I told him that we would wait until DD had finished!

Claire :)

I agree that a properly paced meal is very important. I don't like being rushed and I don't like waiting too long to close the meal. I can't believe someone would remove a plate mid bite. Really? That's just wrong.

I am eating here in June and I really hope its not a 40 minute meal. So sorry your experience was not the best. I guess that's one way to seat more people. :sad2:

I hope you have a good experience in June :) On the most part, reviews are good and we did really enjoy our food so that's the main thing to think about :) Would love to hear if things are a bit more chilled when you go :goodvibes

Okay, I swear I replied to this once but it seems to have never shown up.... anyway -- short & sweet: it's appalling that your friend's plate was taken out from under her fork!!! I don't care where you are, or how busy a place is, that is simply unacceptable! She really should write a letter of complaint to Disney about that. Who knows if it will make a difference but every voice should be heard!

Agreed, unacceptable. I'm so annoyed that we didn't make more of a complaint at the time, but I think we were in shock :rotfl2: When we told our server she didn't seem bothered and so we left it that. Wish we had spoken to a manager now. But now that we're home, I think we shall be writing an e-mail. I completely agree, every voice should be heard :goodvibes

Dear Lord, if they had taken my plate mid meal I would have chased him down with my fork and given him a good poke. How rude of him. That is simply unacceptable.

If we weren't in utter disbelief, I reckon Tanya would have :rotfl2:

Hi
I think I would've told them that I'm only paying part of the bill, since they took my food away before I could finish it!!

Good point! I'm glad we were on the DDP (free as part of our package) - I think this deterred us from being as annoyed as if we'd paid out of pocket, although it shouldn't have!

Seriously, thanks for the great report! That GF dessert looks awesome. I wish my GF hubby were coming along to try it. I suppose I could forgo my dessert and bring it home to him, but ... no. :scratchin (It would not be fresh by the time I got it home to him.)

Haha, :rotfl: love the superglue idea!

The dessert was really, really good! As I said, not too thick and sweet which really suited my taste! It was quite refreshing after quite a 'meaty' meal! No, you need to eat it yourself - your description back to your DH will do it justice :)

Wow, talk about trying to move people in and out as quickly as possible. I think I would have gotten up and ran after the guy if he would have done that to anyone in my party!:mad:

That was so rude and I would DEFINITELY drop guest relations an email about it. They need to know that they are rushing guests in and out of there, something was definitely up with that if it's not the "norm"...:confused3 If they are rushing guests like that so they can schedule more ADRs then they have to revisit that. Did you notice if the Rose gallery room (the room to the right of the ballroom where you were seated) was opened during dinner? I know it wasn't for the first few months but then around Easter time posters had mentioned it was opened during dinner (which would accommodate a lot more ADRs)...

Also a little confusing to me was why your server wouldn't accept your driver's license for ID?? If this hasn't been an issue in WDW why would it be here?:confused3 I am not familiar with UK licenses but that just doesn't make sense to me, isn't it a "legal" document? :confused3

I also agree they need a better "waiting" area, unless you can go inside past the doors to wait there is nowhere but outside to wait (I thought about that during the summer months of the major heat and sun OR even worse the torrential downpours and storms--especially at lunch when you have to wait in line).

I will get onto composing an email to GR - time is just going so fast since we've arrived back home, and wish I had gotten onto it sooner. Better late than never I suppose!

During our dinner, the rose gallery room was not open. It probably needed to have been though!

It was a bit unexpected not to have my drivers licence accepted for proof of age ID. As I say, it has never happened to me before at WDW, even with it being from the UK. I did the College Program at WDW in 2011, and some of my friends worked in merchandise where they were taught about what ID to accept... it seems that the official word was something along the lines of if it's not American/in English then it should be a passport. Many accepted drivers licences alongside that! It wasn't the end of the world that it could not be accepted - I suppose the server was just being extra careful and watching her own back which I can't blame her for.

We had a Similar experience with them trying to push us out. What upset is was that in the side dining room it is too dark to read the menu and the waitresses (2) did not know it enough to explain it properly. We ended up walking into the main dining room to read the menu. I am glad you food was fine because both of ours were overly salt/peppered. We will NOT return here nor recommend it. For these prices they need to offer a vastly better experience.

I'm sorry that your experience was similar :( I was hoping we'd be the only ones to have experienced it. Also, such a shame about the menu situation - the main dining room was pretty dim, so I can't imagine what it must have been like for you guys!

I'm all about ambience and 'mood' lighting, but not when it's too dark to read :scared1:

I too find it rude when they take the plates away until everyone is finished.
Cant remember where it was but when someone finished, they came and took the plate away. Just find it rude when they constantly disturb us.
however to take the plate away, when someone is still eating just isnt on.

Sounds like you still had a good time though :thumbsup2

Yes, still a good experience on the whole :) Glad it's not just me being fussy!

Oh heck NO! I dare anyone to touch DH & plate DH will make a scene!! That's ridiculous & uncalled for!! Also the fact it only took a max of 40 min would tick me off, I understand they are popular but I spent my time on the phone making ADRs & I paid for my meal I'd want my hour/hour & a half it normally takes us at a TS IF that's what I wanted!

Good to hear the food is good, we have a ADR in Sept!

ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & BWI Sept 8-15, 2013

I'd never thought about it in that way - organising all the ADRs is quite time consuming so it's an even bigger kick in the teeth when your meal takes less time than that!

Have a great time in September :goodvibes

We felt that we were trying to be rushed in December, so it sounds like things haven't improved in that department! We were still eating our appetisers when they tried to bring us our entrees. I politely told the server were still eating so he turned tail not saying a word!
When the entrees were brought back ( at the right time!) they were warm at best, not really hot.
My DD can be a little slow at eating, DH and I had finished ( and had our plates removed - annoys me too) and three times our server tried to get us to order our dessert, and three times I told him that we would wait until DD had finished!

Claire :)

Sorry you guys were rushed too :( I wonder if it's certain times of the evening that feel it more than others?? Good for you telling them that you weren't ready! They were exactly like that with our desserts - really pushy!

For a while, we considered being really slow with our desserts and drinks - just out of stubbornness after what had happened with the entree - I wish we had now!

I've just been thinking (dangerous..), but I might add a few more reviews from our trip onto this thread when I come to them, rather than just starting new threads for each!

While I am sorry you felt rushed and had your food "stolen" from you, (boy would I have made a scene!)..... I am, however, happy to hear that the restaurant is efficient!

We have 6:15 ADRs for DS 4th birthday and there are 11 of us. We plan to attend the MNSSHP after dinner that evening, so if we can be seated, served, and out of there in less than an hour we will be happy!

About the driver's licence thing, I had the same happen to me at California Grill from a male server. He was really condescending and told me it was not a valid form of ID and they could only accept passports (we are from Canada). He then proceeded to serve me a glass of wine, like he was doing me a favor. Seriously put a damper in the evening... especially since I'm 31! For the record, that was the only place somebody complained about the driver's licence. We later bought DVC on the trip and I had forgotten my passport in the hotel safe, so proceeded to show my licence, telling our guide the incident at CG. He said it was nonsense and that the licence was enough. :confused3

Sorry you had a bad experience at BOG. I have a reservation in November and I'm hoping the reviews will get better. :crazy2:

To be fair, a quick google search led me to several pages detailing acceptable forms of ID to purchase alcohol in Florida. They are a US driver's license, a state ID card, a military ID, or a passport. So it sounds like previous servers may have been bending the rules, and this one was correct.

Its too bad that we will never see the inside of this place if anything. ..Thats all we wanted to do and they wouldnt let us browse...no biggie but with such crappy food and service we will never be here.

That was very very rude and I would of made a fuss about him taking my plate..Now as a server we are trained to take anyones plates when they are finished eating..So if I walk by and two of the group of four are done eating its my job to go to your table and ask if you are finished and I can take your plates..If that means I have to go back to your table four different times to get all your plates at different times then I have to..I do not work at Disney, but for them to take your plate when you are still eating is absurd and I would of made them remake my food..I always always double check when taking a plate don't want my hand smacked but I don't want my manager to yell at me for not pre bussing at we call it..:)

Also just want to point out where I work, they want us to drop off your bill after the first check back...While I always feel like this is making the customer feel like I am rushing them I always leave it about mid-way through the meal..I always say, no rush I am just leaving this when you are ready to pay I will be your cashier..:)

We too had a similar experience there last Friday, the appetizers came out soooo quick, I was still taking the DD's to the restroom to wash up. The kids meals were soooo small, even my youngest was finished her macaroni in about 2 minutes. DH and I split the Shrimp and Scallops entree (I know the horror!!!! ) The waiter was suitably appalled and a little snobby about that. :blush:

And the bill was brought out so quickly also. When we were the only ones in line to see the beast even there we got the bums rush. Oh well, I guess the demand is so high they really need to move people through. But for what we paid we will not be back for dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter