Be nice to our DME drivers

heatherbabydoll1

WDWWoman2012
I have seen again a wonderful driver that went above the call of duty to provide exceptional service and only one person out of about 20 guests tipped the driver! So I did so research and this is what I found out.

I wanted to start a thread about the truth about the DME drivers. I understand that there are times that DME is not at Disney quality, but it is not always a driver's issue. The driver's follow a dispatcher's direction. Some drivers try to help guests when at all possible but they are still at the mercy of the dispatcher. For example: A dispatcher tells a driver to pick up at the all stars sport 30 people at 8:30, then 5 at all stars music 8:45, and 2 at all stars movie at 9:00. Now one driver 30 people; 20 pieces of luggage and 3 people come late to the party. Sometimes another driver might be sent ahead to pick up the others but more times than not the one driver must hurry up and get to the next pick up. Now there is a wheelchair in the second pick up, again another delay. The driver calls in and says he is heading into the airport and the dispatcher says that there is a late pick up he must go get at pop century. This is not the driver's fault. The driver does there best to get everyone where they need to be within the policies!

** Do you know that the DME drivers work for either Mears or Maruti not Disney directly? They are required to pass all of Disney background checks, health requirements, and keep all Disney standards. They get paid less than Disney drivers and ARE allowed to receive gratuities, but are Not allowed to mention it!****

Most drivers are never tipped because most guest assume that just like Disney transportation to the parks they are not allowed tips.

These drivers generally make minimum wage or just a little more, get less or no benefits than the drivers that never touch luggage at the parks.

So imagine; You pick up the example above and lift about 30 pieces of luggage in and out of the bay of the bus in the heat. He joked, hand out stickers to kids, and got everyone to the airport on time even though there was delays and the add on. The driver helps a mom with a stroller because her little one is hungry and tired and her husband is chasing the 5 year old that just took off. He helped carry a carry on bag off for the grandma so she did not trip stepping down. He went out of his way just as you would expect from Disney! The kids are happy, there was good Disney service.

Everyone gets off the bus and he smiles and helps anyway he can with in policies. Everyone says good bye and he might get $2.00 if any in tips. He was never rude, actually the exact opposite. They do any where from three to 6 runs a shift, but the average is 4 runs.

There is a couple of things you can do. First feel free to tip the DME drivers for good service! They are a service professional and CAN receive tips! Another way to say thank you is to go to guest services at the hotel or airport and ask them to put in a Kudos in for your driver. Your driver's name is usually posted in the front of the bus and they will also announce it.

Many feel free to complain but hardly anyone goes and gives kudos. It will be wonderful for the drivers, their superiors, and the Disney Corporation to receive positive feed back!

Please consider this next time you ride DME. As a guest and someone who has worked in the service industry for many years it breaks my heart to see any service provider not given there proper acknowledgement. Be nice to our DME drivers, they will be nice to you!

I have to take some exception to your statements. I've used DME more times than I can count since they opened. And generally speaking, I have had good/decent service. But...I refuse to tip someone just because they expect it! Tipping is something you do to thank someone for going above and beyond what is to be expected. It is not the general public's responsibility to augment what a driver is paid. Okay..having said that.....here is a not so wonderful experience.
Got to the bus, and boarded, had a small carry-on bag that I had stowed,wasn't even acknowledged by the driver, who was standing beside the door.He took my bag and that was it. Okay..no biggie. Get on the bus and wait to leave. Upon departing, this driver announced who he was, and where he was driving to. That was all he had to say until he approached the first resort. Then? This is what came out of his mouth...'We gratefully accept any gratuities you may want to share. Thank-you very much.' Yep...that was it, followed by the name of the resort. He proceeded to say this at the next 2 stops, mine was the last one. Now, understand..I had a $5 bill in my pocket, ready to hand out. I mean, he handled my bag. BUT...that money stayed in my pocket. I will NOT be asked for a tip. Even with the big sign above his head, stating that gratuities are accepted for extraordinary service. Oh, and lest I forget..he was one of those drivers that shut the door as soon as he got off....making everyone stay on the bus! So he could pull the bags and be ready for his tip. Umm, no.

On the other hand...I had no carry-on bags at all on one trip. I boarded the bus, with a hugely friendly 'welcome to my bus' from the driver. He smiled and chatted with guests as they got to the bus. Then, once on the bus, he kept up a nice commentary about stuff to do in the area, interesting tidbits about Disney, etc. All while driving incredibly safely! He made that trip fly by. He got a $5 tip when I got off. You would have thought I had given him $500!! Totally made my day.

I realize how hard some of these drivers work. But, here's the thing. They know, going in, what they are going to make. They know that they can accept gratuities. One would think that they would at least try to be pleasant. I refuse to tip someone who merely drives the bus. He is getting paid to do that. But if that driver does anything other than drive that bus, he can usually expect a tip from me. Now, because Disney says that all tips are taken care of when you use DME, most guests think that includes the drivers as well. But, it doesn't. It covers Bell Services delivery of your checked bags to your resort room when it gets there. Disney should make it clear that the drivers of the buses have not been tipped yet.

I have seen drivers completely stiffed by guests. I've seen guests with a total of 8-10 bags, and when the driver hands them to the guest, the guest grunts a thank-you and leaves. I have, on occasion, made a very large 'show' of handing the driver a tip....hoping for 'monkey see, monkey do' to happen. And in some areas of the world, tipping is not at all common..so it's hard to blame those people that have no idea.

I tip $1 per bag that gets stashed under the bus -- with a $5 minimum. These guys do a lot of heavy lifting -- and i appreciate their services.

I do agree with what you said! You should tip for service above and beyond only. First of all if any driver mentions tips they are not following policy I was told. The sign is allowed to be up there and if asked they can answer yes about tips but the driver can not announce it! Also there was a time where policy dictated to leave guests on the bus while unloading luggage per policy but that has now changed again.

I do agree with what you said! You should tip for service above and beyond only. First of all if any driver mentions tips they are not following policy I was told. The sign is allowed to be up there and if asked they can answer yes about tips but the driver can not announce it! Also there was a time where policy dictated to leave guests on the bus while unloading luggage per policy but that has now changed again.

As I said, I've been using DME since it started, and way back then, you were able to just hop off the bus. That continued to be the case for years. Then, I ran into two drivers who held us on the bus. They 'said' it was for safety. However, on a different trip, in between those two, I had a few trips that didn't find us being held on the bus. It was really inconsistent and confusing. And if you didn't have bags? Oh man, what a pain. You sat and waited for the stowed bags to be taken out, even if you didn't have a stowed bag.

But, for the most part, the drivers are wonderful. They do a terrific job...under sometimes less than wonderful conditions. And I am always happy to show them how pleased I am!

I have to take some exception to your statements. I've used DME more times than I can count since they opened. And generally speaking, I have had good/decent service. But...I refuse to tip someone just because they expect it! Tipping is something you do to thank someone for going above and beyond what is to be expected.

I'm going to take exception to your general statement. Waiters, bartenders, valets...expect a tip. They are taxed on imputed (estimated) tips. You tip a waiter for doing his job. You tip more if he does a great job, less if he does a poor job. JMO but a waiter has to be very bad to deserve no tip (I've had maybe 2).

Disney is kind of wrong. They imply tips are included when they describe the service. DCL drivers are paid a little extra since they handle luggage. Disney decided not to pay that little extra to DME drivers People really should be tipping if the driver handles bags.

Disney used to include tipping guidelines in one of the brochures they gave out. Housekeeping wasn't listed. Guests should be told $1 (or $2) a bag is considered a normal tip if the driver stows a bag under the bus. That's considered a normal tip if a complimentary shuttle driver (hotel or rental car) helps with your luggage.

JMO but it's wrong to compensate the drive as if they're being tipped but then not communicate that fact with the guests.

I.

Disney is kind of wrong. They imply tips are included when they describe the service. DCL drivers are paid a little extra since they handle luggage. Disney decided not to pay that little extra to DME drivers People really should be tipping if the driver handles bags.

Disney didn't decide anything about the DME drivers. Those drivers are Mears drivers not Disney's. It's Mears who decided that when they bid for the contract.

However, I do agree that they should be tipped when handling bags and so should waiters etc who are paid below minimum because it is expected that their wages will be topped off by tips. The expectation is that you tip a minimum regardless and more for exceptional service.

Disney didn't decide anything about the DME drivers. Those drivers are Mears drivers not Disney's. It's Mears who decided that when they bid for the contract.

Do you know if the contract was won via the bidding process or if it was negotiated?

Regardless my understanding is Disney didn't want to include compensation to the drivers for handling luggage in the contract and further restricted the ability to communicate with customers.

I don't know if the bus drivers are unionized, if so iheir recourse is with their union.

I'll speculate, without having any facts, Disney assumed luggage delivery would be handling the bags and the drivers wouldn't be handling luggage. We know a number of passengers like to get their own bags, late arriving passengers are required to get their bags and increasing fees for checked bags is resulting in guests bringing roller carryon bags which get stowed under the bus.

However, I do agree that they should be tipped when handling bags and so should waiters etc who are paid below minimum because it is expected that their wages will be topped off by tips. The expectation is that you tip a minimum regardless and more for exceptional service.

Not the full contract is owned by Mears! Maruti owns buses too. Those drivers don't have as good as benefits as Mears drivers. It is sad but your right they bid for the contract and that is what causes the pay. Housekeepers, bell service, ect. get tipped so why not the DME drivers?

Do you know if the contract was won via the bidding process or if it was negotiated?

Regardless my understanding is Disney didn't want to include compensation to the drivers for handling luggage in the contract and further restricted the ability to communicate with customers.

I don't know if the bus drivers are unionized, if so iheir recourse is with their union.

I'll speculate, without having any facts, Disney assumed luggage delivery would be handling the bags and the drivers wouldn't be handling luggage. We know a number of passengers like to get their own bags, late arriving passengers are required to get their bags and increasing fees for checked bags is resulting in guests bringing roller carryon bags which get stowed under the bus.

They are not part of a union. They are two different companies based out of downtown Orlando.

I'm going to take exception to your general statement. Waiters, bartenders, valets...expect a tip. They are taxed on imputed (estimated) tips. You tip a waiter for doing his job. You tip more if he does a great job, less if he does a poor job. JMO but a waiter has to be very bad to deserve no tip (I've had maybe 2).

Disney used to include tipping guidelines in one of the brochures they gave out. Housekeeping wasn't listed. Guests should be told $1 (or $2) a bag is considered a normal tip if the driver stows a bag under the bus. That's considered a normal tip if a complimentary shuttle driver (hotel or rental car) helps with your luggage.

JMO but it's wrong to compensate the drive as if they're being tipped but then not communicate that fact with the guests.

Yes, but.....we all know servers aren't paid minimum wage...at least not in this country. That's pretty general knowledge. So yes, I do tend to tip every time I eat out. But I also base that tip on the service I got.
So, the Mears drivers get at least minimum wage. Yes, they should be tipped if they do anything but drive that bus. And if they just drive the bus, in my case for instance, but provide that little bit if 'extra' something, then I will tip that driver even if I have no bags.

And we agree....Disney is wrong. They should change their wording to something like 'gratuities have been included for those tagged checked bags that will magically appear in your resort room'. At least that doesn't appear to include the bus driver. I always feel badly when I see a driver hauling out multiple pieces of luggage for one family and he isn't tipped. I actually overheard one conversation between a man and woman. She mentioned, quietly, to her dh that maybe he should tip the bus driver since they had a few pieces of stowed luggage. His response was 'he already gets tipped. I'm not doubling that. Disney takes care of all that!' Really! And no, I said nothing.

It bothers me that generally, the most bags are checked and delivered other then the bus I rode on. But, on the occasions we rode I could easily handle my carry on bag.
If there are 30 guest, maybe 10 families giving a $5, that's $50. Four runs, that $200 a day.....

I'm coming down for that job lifting and all.

But, I dislike the drivers that instruct me how tipping is allowed.

In a perfect world that would be nice but honestly most driver go home with 10 dollars or less a day is what I have found out. Again they are not under policy allowed to mention tipping the only notice about tipping is the sign at the front of the bus. Again a lot of countries don't ever tip and most people don't at all because of the confusion of they are allowed to be tipped or not.

If you don't want to tip but you have a great driver, bell service, waiter, front desk clerk, house keeper, vacation planner you can always leave a Kudos compliment with guest services also. Just FYI

heatherbabydoll1 said:
In a perfect world that would be nice but honestly most driver go home with 10 dollars or less a day is what I have found out. Again they are not under policy allowed to mention tipping the only notice about tipping is the sign at the front of the bus. Again a lot of countries don't ever tip and most people don't at all because of the confusion of they are allowed to be tipped or not.

If you don't want to tip but you have a great driver, bell service, waiter, front desk clerk, house keeper, vacation planner you can always leave a Kudos compliment with guest services also. Just FYI

Is someone in ypur family a DME driver? Your posts don't sound like a "concerned guest" to me.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using DISBoards

I'm not sure where you're getting your info, and I'm certainly not calling you out, but.....every single bus I've been on, I've seen drivers handed tips by probably half the people on that bus. Some with bags, some without. I find it hard to believe that drivers are going home with $10 or less...especially 'most'. And as I said...they may not be allowed to mention tipping, but some still do. And those are the drivers who will get nothing from me. And again, I try to make a 'show' of handing the driver a tip if he/she has been good..hoping others will see me and take the hint.

The thing that I find humorous is that so many people get outraged when they are told that housekeeping at wdw isn't a 'tipped' position. I've asked at every resort I've stayed at, and I've been told that no, housekeepers aren't supposed to be tipped. But...in all reality, even though we keep telling people this, they insist on saying that they feel they should. These poor people work so hard and get paid so little, that they deserve our tips. Well.....I think a good bus driver deserves it just as much. But people will say 'Oh, Disney has taken care of the tips, so we don't tip addtl.' And I tell them that the 'taken care of tip' is for Bell Services luggage delivery to the room. I have tried to spread the word on what is actually the case.

If somebody touches your bag, it's customary for those who do tip, to offer at least a $1 per. Naturally, there will always be a small contingent of people who refuse to tip in general and will go into depth explaining their rationale.

I can see how good-intentioned people are confused in this situation, thinking the gratuity is included by the ambiguous wording by WDW. However, it's never insulting to 'over tip' if you feel you have received exemplary service;)

What I don't get is why people routinely drag so much luggage onto the buses in the first place.:bitelip: I understand if it's later in the day but don't get how a small carryon wouldn't do the trick for whatever needs in normal situations.

We rarely use the service any longer since multiple stops & unloading the luggage is too much for my type A personality, especially on a short trip to the parks.

Yes, but.....we all know servers aren't paid minimum wage...at least not in this country. That's pretty general knowledge. So yes, I do tend to tip every time I eat out. But I also base that tip on the service I got.
The minimum before-tip wages for servers vary depending on state and municipal requirements.

It many states, servers earn just $2.13 per hour before tips.

In Florida, servers earn just $4.91 per hour before tips.

In California, servers earn at least $9.00 per hour before tips.

In San Francisco, California, servers earn $10.55 per hour before tips -- and there's an effort underway to raise that to $15.00 per hour.

See http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

Getting back to DME, it hate it when a driver holds me hostage on the motor coach while he or she unloads the bags, even if I only have a small carry-on on my lap. I hate it even more when the driver falsely claims this is some sort law or mandatory safety requirement. I don't blame the driver for wanting to collect tips at the bottom of the steps, but I'm much less likely to tip under these circumstances.

In general, I don't mind tipping. Although housekeepers typically earn somewhat more than minimum wage, I leave a tip for hotel housekeeping because I really appreciate what housekeepers do.

If somebody touches your bag, it's customary for those who do tip, to offer at least a $1 per. Naturally, there will always be a small contingent of people who refuse to tip in general and will go into depth explaining their rationale.

I can see how good-intentioned people are confused in this situation, thinking the gratuity is included by the ambiguous wording by WDW. However, it's never insulting to 'over tip' if you feel you have received exemplary service;)

What I don't get is why people routinely drag so much luggage onto the buses in the first place.:bitelip: I understand if it's later in the day but don't get how a small carryon wouldn't do the trick for whatever needs in normal situations.

We rarely use the service any longer since multiple stops & unloading the luggage is too much for my type A personality, especially on a short trip to the parks.

Huge pet peeve with me. My longest time on DME was when Pop was the last stop (usually the first), and at the first two stops there was a huge amount of baggage to hand out! We went to AKL first, sat there for 15 mins while luggage was disbursed. Then on to CSR...another 10 mins while bags were dealt with. Finally to Pop.....I flew off that bus!
I have even seen, on many occasions, guests pitting the yellow luggage tags on their checked bags as they stood in the bus line, going to WDW! They went to baggage claim, retrieved their checked bags, lugged them down to DME, got into the appropriate bus line and then affixed the tags! I tried telling one group that they didn't need to do that...they had 9 bags, and they were trying to figure out how to make 6 tags go on 9 bags! Their response to me? 'Oh, do you work for Disney? Didn't think so. We know what we're doing. We're following Disneys instructions, not yours!!' Alrighty then! Have never offered help again.

Huge pet peeve with me. My longest time on DME was when Pop was the last stop (usually the first), and at the first two stops there was a huge amount of baggage to hand out! We went to AKL first, sat there for 15 mins while luggage was disbursed. Then on to CSR...another 10 mins while bags were dealt with. Finally to Pop.....I flew off that bus!
I have even seen, on many occasions, guests pitting the yellow luggage tags on their checked bags as they stood in the bus line, going to WDW! They went to baggage claim, retrieved their checked bags, lugged them down to DME, got into the appropriate bus line and then affixed the tags! I tried telling one group that they didn't need to do that...they had 9 bags, and they were trying to figure out how to make 6 tags go on 9 bags! Their response to me? 'Oh, do you work for Disney? Didn't think so. We know what we're doing. We're following Disneys instructions, not yours!!' Alrighty then! Have never offered help again.

Trumps the CBR, BWV & Y/BC one that put me over the top. It seemed as though 1/2 the bus had luggage stowed, surprised it all fit.

I've had people tell me they always take their luggage off the carousel and lug it over to the bus because they are afraid it will be lost in transit.

Can't say that i've looked, but I don't recall seeing a thread here bemoaning lost luggage that has been verified to be DME's fault vs the airline. Just curiouspopcorn::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter