• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Be aware if traveling to WDW within the next few days

We did see a little girl throw up in her stroller in the next bench during Candelight Processional. Parents actually had what looked like room towels in the stroller for her in case she got sick. I really hope that they didn't take her to the park knowing that she was that sick... that would be so wrong!

It certainly sounds like they were expecting her to vomit. Wrong? Who knows...they may have still been trying to convince themselves it was "something she ate" at that point. The fact is when people have spent the $$ to go on vacation and have been looking forward to it forever--very few will have the discipline to stay in their hotel room until they are no longer contagious. Someone on this thread mentioned how they went to a restaurant and sat with their family knowing they were sick. It's just the reality of the situation. I've seen people force their kids into the parks knowing they were vomiting and just pushed them along all day so no one else would have to stay back in the room with them and miss something. Again, some visitors have never been to the world and are not going to let anything stand in the way of their time there. Those of us who have been many, many times are probably more likely to stay in our rooms.

It certainly sounds like they were expecting her to vomit. Wrong? Who knows...they may have still been trying to convince themselves it was "something she ate" at that point. The fact is when people have spent the $$ to go on vacation and have been looking forward to it forever--very few will have the discipline to stay in their hotel room until they are no longer contagious. Someone on this thread mentioned how they went to a restaurant and sat with their family knowing they were sick. It's just the reality of the situation. I've seen people force their kids into the parks knowing they were vomiting and just pushed them along all day so no one else would have to stay back in the room with them and miss something. Again, some visitors have never been to the world and are not going to let anything stand in the way of their time there. Those of us who have been many, many times are probably more likely to stay in our rooms.

As somebody who quite probably was still contagious when I went back into the parks (although I thought at the time it was food poisoning), there's no way to know if you're capable of infecting other people or not, unless you're actively barfing/running for the toilet. No way to tell, really, when I was infected and how long I can infect. Eesh, germs SUCK.

If my kids were throwing up, though, we wouldn't be in the parks-how is that fun? Although I've seen enough people at Disney turning a fun vaca into the Bataan Death March to believe it...

We just got back from our stay at the WL. I was a nervous wreck when we left worrying about getting sick. I wiped down the room with clorax wipes when we arrived and made everyone wash their hands at every opportunity. We didnt get sick, or see anyone who was, although when we checked out a family was leaving early because someone in their party was sick. Just be careful but dont let worrying about it ruin your trip.

We Had Two Great Days Before The Vomiting Set In-at 2am My Son Woke Up Screaming And Vomiting Everywhere. I Was So Disappointed With The Grand Floridian Response Over The Next Few Days. First I Had Spoke To The Front Desk And Explained The Situation, My Pediatrician Said To Get Pedialyte. The Woman On The Phone Said To Come To The Desk And They Would Get It From The Store. When I Got To The Desk The Girl There Said It Wasn't In The Store-i Asked Her To Please Look, That The Person I Spoke With Said It Was In There. She Did And Said No It Was Not There. I Then Went And Got Powereaid And Apple Juice At The Quick Service. He Vomited Till There Was Nothing Left.
The Next Morning He Seemed Tired But He Drank Some And Ate The Brat Diet I Gave Him. So I Thought Maybe He Ate Something Bad, He Seems Better. That Night It Started Again, Vomiting And Now Explosive Diarrhea. My Pediatrician Said We Needed To Get Pedialyte To Replace The Fliud Loss Before Dehydration Set In. The Front Desk Was No Help They Told Me To Rent A Car Or Take A Cab To A Store.
My Pediatrician Knew Of Pharmacy Near Disney That With A $50 Minimum Order And Delivery Fee They Would Bring It. Just As I Was About To Call Them Someone, Another Guest, Over Heard Me And Told Me They Had Saw Pedialyte In The Store. Sure Enough The Store That The Front Desk Attentant Went In Had It.
When I Complained To The Front Desk They Told Me, At Least You Found Now. I Told Them Maybe My Son Wouldn't Be So Dehydrated If He Had It Sooner.
Also House Keeping Told Me At 4am They Would Come To Service Our Room At 630am The First Night He Was Sick. I Said I Just Want To Dispose Of The Linen And Clothing If They Would Please Come And Get It-they Said They Did Not Have Anyone Available Til 630am. No One Available To Pick Up A Bag Of Garbage!!!
All We Wanted Was To Go Home. Then Me And My Husband Got It. No Way To Avoid It When A Baby Was Pooping And Puking All Over You.
We Ended Our Trip Early. When We Got Home My Son Got Sick Again, Dehydration Is A Vicious Cycle.my Pediatrician Said He Was One Puke From Being Hospitalized.
I Told At Least 4 People How Sick We Were In That Room. No One Seemed To Care. I Hope They Cleaned It Good Before The Next Family Checked In.
My Son Is Still Recovering Over A Week Later. It Was Suppose To Be A Great First Trip. Intro To Disney!! I Feel So Guilty For Taking Him There So Young. Maybe If I Would Have Waited Til He Was Older, He WouldN'T Have Gotten So Sick. Be Very Cautious With Babies, My Doctor Said This Type Of Disease Can Be Deadly For The Very Young And The Very Old.

I just returned last night from 9 nights at the WL. Luckily I didn't see this thread before we left on the 17th or I would have been worried. No one in my family got sick nor did we see any evidence of illness. I feel badly for those who had to deal with this during their vacations. Not fun. :sad1:

5 adults, 1 5 year old and a toddler...no illnesses being reported yet (got back yesterday from a 4 night stay at ASMu).

We washed hands and used antibac gels like crazy - except for my brother. No one seems to be sick yet (thank goodness).

Really, there is no sense letting fear of catching this virus ruin your vacation though. You can pick it up at home, school, work, etc.... *shrug* The best you can do is go prepared in case you DO get it (we had a back up plan for getting what we needed/might need if anyone got it) and take what precautions you can without being totally paranoid (we just washed hands frequently and used antibac gel - no cleaning/cloroxing the rooms, etc...).

Heck...we even ate at several yummy buffets (LOVED the Tusker House brekkie and lunch!!)

As somebody who quite probably was still contagious when I went back into the parks (although I thought at the time it was food poisoning), there's no way to know if you're capable of infecting other people or not, unless you're actively barfing/running for the toilet. No way to tell, really, when I was infected and how long I can infect. Eesh, germs SUCK.
If my kids were throwing up, though, we wouldn't be in the parks-how is that fun? Although I've seen enough people at Disney turning a fun vaca into the Bataan Death March to believe it...

The point is if you manifest any symptoms, you need to stay in your room. Vomiting is one symptom of many and it is not the only one that will alert you to being contagious. Just because you weren't vomiting at that moment, you were still contagious. You need to follow the same rules that we have in our school system - you must be symptom free for 24 hours before returning - no fevers, rashes or vomiting. Food poisoning or not, you still shouldn't be roaming around the parks anyway as you could throw up at any moment anyway.

It's really tiring how people are so quick to convince themselves it's just food poisoning or excitement all in the name of money.

Tiger :headache:

A similar link was posted but here is the update with more good advice.

http://writersblock15.wordpress.com/2008/12/26/hand-sanitizers-norovirus-and-emetophobia/
Thank you for posting this link. I was looking for something like it yesterday. I'm going to post it's contents here so I can bold a few things and add a few comments of my own.

A Stomach Flu is caused by the Norovirus which is also known as Norwalk Virus

Norovirus is a highly contagious virus but with easy and inexpensive precautions, it can be prevented.

Norovirus is NOT airborne. It CANNOT be transmitted merely by standing next to someone who has it, sneezing, saliva, urine, or blood. The virus DOES exist in vomit and feces only and is spread when someone who is sick has virus particles on their hands because they did not wash them after using the toilet or after vomiting and then touches a surface. That surface then becomes contaminated.

It is unclear exactly how long the norovirus lives on surfaces but according to the CDC, the virus may still live in someone’s feces up to 2 weeks after the symptoms of norovirus have subsided which means, they can still spread it after they are feeling better and after they returned to work or school.

What’s the best way to prevent getting Norovirus?

Wash your hands with plain soap and water after using the bathroom and before eating meals or touching your face. Make sure you wash every nook and cranny of your hands for at least 20 seconds. Plain soap does not kill anything but it washes the germs off of your hands and down the drain. Yes, it’s that easy. Good personal hygiene.

Hand Sanitizers

Washing your hands is the best defense but if you’re traveling, at the gym, or soap and water are unavailable; hand sanitizers are the second best method of preventing norovirus. Before going out and stocking up on Purell or any other product that labels themselves as an anti-bacterial claiming to kill 99.99% of germs, listen up!

Most of these gels, wipes, sprays or foams have alcohol based ingredients such as triclosan, ethanol, or ethy alcohol. While these products will kill 99.99% of the bacterias, they DO NOT kill viruses, nor do they claim to. Other issues with these ingredients is that alcohol based products are drying and there are safety concerns about using triclosan.

Benzethonium Chloride and Benzalkonium Chloride kill norovirus

Products with either of the above active ingredients WILL kill norovirus in addition to all of the bacterias Purell claims to kill. You can also find these ingredients in household cleaning products such as Lysol. Wet Ones brand wipes have Benzethonium Chloride as the active ingredient and it’s widely available in most stores.

If someone in your household is sick, clean the bathroom with a disinfectant and any other place they may have spent a lot of time in and don’t forget the door knobs and light switches. Show them this blog and convince them to repeatedly wash their hands after doing their bathroom business so as not to spread to anyone else. Keep them home from work or school until they are feeling completely better, usually a couple of days. One of the main reasons norovirus spreads in offices is because those struck with it, don’t want to take the time off from their jobs.
A few things to think about, which I stress with my own family.

Washing and sanitizing hands is a must. But what we must remember is, between washes, to keep our hands away from our faces, especially our mouths. You don't realize that touching just about anything is going to give you germs on your hands and once they get to your mouth, you're infected. We know this about how this germ is transmitted. For those who are wondering how they got it? Well this is how. ;) The nasty reality is that, as a GI bug, it goes from someone else's GI track to yours. So wash hands, sanitize, and learn to keep your hands away from your face and mouth. This is especially true for children, but even adults not aware of how germs are transmitted. Stress it constantly with your family.

The other thing I do for my own family which I haven't seen anywhere is to make sure their nails are kept short and clean. A whole host of germs can live under long or dirty nails even when you wash your hands. I keep my own short as well. (And you can imagine on long, acrylic nails - we actually have a hospital policy against them [and even chipped nail polish] as they've been found to be the source of disease before.)

PPs touched on it but I'm going to say it again. Be very careful in bathrooms. There is an absolutely enormous concentration of GI germs here. There's no point in washing your hands and then grabbing the dirty door handle with your clean hand. Think about it - people who don't wash their hands go directly from the stall with infected hands and what's the first thing they touch to get out? The exit door handle. That is literally loaded with germs. (And btw, so is the latch on the stall itself - DO NOT touch it!) Use a paper towel to touch anything after you wash your hands.

As for restaurants, even if you wash the table, remember that there are germs underneath and on the sides. So if you go to move the table or the chairs, clean your hands again before you eat. Don't let your kids touch anything else while they're eating.

Basically, germs in an outbreak like this are EVERYWHERE. So again, wash, sanitize, and keep hands away from your face.

I am not a germophobe but I am a hospital nurse so I live by these practices every day. We are counseled in infection control issues once a month, sometimes more during germ "seasons". I've taught my children these practices but, as kids, I still see that sometimes they're not as careful as they should be. Sometimes in my house, everyone's sick but me, in fact it's been the case this week. :sick: (Fortunately just a small head cold.) But it does help drive home the lesson that with good hygiene practices, people have a better chance of staying healthy. (With that said, I did contract Norwalk virus two winters ago and I was quite p'd at myself.)

Having done several Disney cruises myself, it's been interesting to watch their hygiene practices over time. In 2004, I recall them having wipes as an "option" when entering the dining rooms. Very few people used them. (I watched with interest.) In 2006, they were handing them out to everyone as you entered the dining rooms. Better. But what I didn't like was that the stainless trash cans they had to throw away your wipe afterward were the "swinging top kind" and the swinging doors were filthy. So you washed with a wipe, and then touched the dirty trash can top to throw it away. :headache: I did talk to one of the officers on the ship about it and mentioned it in the comment card. The other thing DH saw one day was a Dad in the men's room outside the dining room take his child for a BM and neither of them washed their hands, then walked right into the dining room for dinner. :mad: (Sorry, not ranking on Dads, but just to illustrate, it happens so you need to protect yourself.)

Hope this helps someone. Stay well, everyone! :wizard:

Sorry YesMickey, I'm going to pick on you for a minute. ;)

YesMickey said:
Yeah Soarin, every time I stay in a hotel I bring my all-purpose with bleach spray bottle. Just put it in an old hairspray bottle with a cap in a quart ziploc and then again in my toiletry gallon ziploc. When I get to the room I spray the toilet seat, the sink and knobs, the shower/tub and knobs and then use the towel I cleaned them with to wipe down the light switches on the wall and lamps throughout the room. Usually takes me about 2-3 minutes. Oh yeah the outside/inside door knobs and card readers etc. Don't forget the little door latches also, because if you have ever walked past a room being cleaned they always lodge the little door lock/latch to keep the door open.
:scared1:

First off, I like the spray idea. But by then using the soiled towel (and yes, there will likely still be some germs on it even though you used bleach) from the bathroom to wipe around the rest of the room, you're moving the germs from the bathroom to the outside of the room. What you should do instead is use clean paper towels for each part of the room. Always be careful about germ transmission from an area highly concentrated in germs to an area of lower concentration.

I wanted to post the story of Typhoid Mary for anyone who's unfamiliar with it. It's not exactly the same, but it illustrates how fecal germs can be spread and is a very interesting case, even to this day.

http://history1900s.about.com/od/1900s/a/typhoidmary.htm

I also wanted to tell a story about when I worked in a supermarket when I was in college. I happened to be taking Medical Microbiology at the time so was in tune to this type of thing. (In fact, we'd just learned about Typhoid Mary.)

I was in the ladies room when the custodian was in there. I watched as he cleaned the toilets with a toilet brush, and then directly from the toilet, still dripping, took the toilet brush and scrubbed the sinks and faucets with it. :faint: This was his regular routine, apparently, and one can presume he did the same thing in the men's room. So this meant that every supermarket employee, even those who diligently washed their hands, got a hearty batch of germs on their hands if they then touched the faucet handles after they washed. Said employees then went out and cut your meat, sliced your deli, boxed your muffins, bagged your produce, rang your order, touched your packages, etc. (To this day, DH and I refer to this man as Typhoid Sammy. ;) )

Again, protect yourself!

Hate to beat a dead horse but would recommend that each interested person do their own search for the cause of the spread of noroviruses. You will find many, many articles that say things like this:

"Norovirus infection can be transmitted by touching or ingesting anything contaminated with the virus. Noroviruses are highly contagious and can spread airborne as well. The virus can be shed in body fluids such as saliva, vomit or diarrhea and can be transmitted to others by either aerosolization or direct contact. Aerosolization occurs when virus particles become airborne and are inhaled by others.
You can try to wear a mask that can filter out virus particles if this is doable for you."

we are leaving feb. 5th and staying until the 10th. i hope this bug ends its attacks b.c i have 3 kids and all of them hate the stomach virus and pray they dont get it lol. i dont want it either and ive been hoping this trip will b a healthy one b/c our last few trips hav been full of sickness. on the last trip [[march 2008]] my husband got sick and wasnt able to go to the parks for about 2 days. then my son got sick on th 2nd day my husband was in our hotel, so me and the girls went out together. the next days they were able to come out, but they went back to have naps most days. lets hope everyone stays healthy for our next trip!

Hate to beat a dead horse but would recommend that each interested person do their own search for the cause of the spread of noroviruses. You will find many, many articles that say things like this:

"Norovirus infection can be transmitted by touching or ingesting anything contaminated with the virus. Noroviruses are highly contagious and can spread airborne as well. The virus can be shed in body fluids such as saliva, vomit or diarrhea and can be transmitted to others by either aerosolization or direct contact. Aerosolization occurs when virus particles become airborne and are inhaled by others.
You can try to wear a mask that can filter out virus particles if this is doable for you."
The term AIRBORNE can cause some confusion. Let me try to clarify.

When the virus is "in the air" it's transmitted via "droplets". In order to become infected, these droplets still must enter the GI tract via the mouth. There is just no way around that. (It is NOT transmitted via the respiratory tract according to the Centers for Disease Control.)

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/gastro/norovirus-factsheet.htm

CDC said:
Virus Transmission

Noroviruses are transmitted primarily through the fecal-oral route, either by consumption of fecally contaminated food or water or by direct person-to-person spread. Environmental and fomite contamination may also act as a source of infection. Good evidence exists for transmission due to aerosolization of vomitus that presumably results in droplets contaminating surfaces or entering the oral mucosa and being swallowed. No evidence suggests that infection occurs through the respiratory system.

Noroviruses are highly contagious and as few as 10 viral particles may be sufficient to infect an individual. During outbreaks of norovirus gastroenteritis, several modes of transmission have been documented; for example, initial foodborne transmission in a restaurant, followed by secondary person-to-person transmission to household contacts. Although presymptomatic viral shedding may occur, shedding usually begins with onset of symptoms and may continue for 2 weeks after recovery. It is unclear to what extent viral shedding over 72 hours after recovery signifies continued infectivity.

CDC said:
Prevention

Prevention of foodborne norovirus disease is based on the provision of safe food and water. Noroviruses are relatively resistant to environmental challenge: they are able to survive freezing, temperatures as high as 60°C, and have even been associated with illness after being steamed in shellfish. Moreover, noroviruses can survive in up to 10 ppm chlorine, well in excess of levels routinely present in public water systems.

Despite these features, it is likely that relatively simple measures, such as correct handling of cold foods, strict hand washing after using the bathroom and before handling food items, and paid sick leave, may substantially reduce foodborne transmission of noroviruses.

Prevention of norovirus disease spread via droplets from vomitus (person to person transmission) should focus on methods to limit transmission including isolation precautions (e.g., cohort sick patients in a healthcare facility) and environmental disinfection.
A mask would be helpful if it kept the norovirus infected droplets or hands or the mouth, but in reality, droplet tramsmission is not the most probable way one would come in contact with the virus. Hand to oral route would be.

I would also recommend being very selective about which websites to get information from. Stick with ones that are from our leading authorities in medicine and disease management.

The point is if you manifest any symptoms, you need to stay in your room. Vomiting is one symptom of many and it is not the only one that will alert you to being contagious. Just because you weren't vomiting at that moment, you were still contagious. You need to follow the same rules that we have in our school system - you must be symptom free for 24 hours before returning - no fevers, rashes or vomiting. Food poisoning or not, you still shouldn't be roaming around the parks anyway as you could throw up at any moment anyway.

It's really tiring how people are so quick to convince themselves it's just food poisoning or excitement all in the name of money.

Tiger :headache:

Well, I threw up for the last time at 6 am on tuesday, spent the day in the hospital tuesday, then went into the park on wed around 8 am, so I was fever/barf/diarrhea free for 24+ hours, that's good to know...

I think that saying 24 hours symptom free may not apply to all bugs, is what I was mostly ruminating about...

I posted in the Theme Park thread about the stomach virus, too, but yes we caught the bug last week!

We were there from the 19th-27th. My mother got really sick on Tuesday (23rd) and could not really leave the room for two days. Even though she was not vomiting or anything by the second day, she felt weak and tired.

On the afternoon of the 25th, she was fine, but then I got sick! I felt very nauseas as we were sitting in the Tambu Lounge waiting for our Ohana reservation and headed back to the room immediately. Was violently ill all that night but sort of okay the next day. I stayed in the room, though, just in case.

I still feel a little weak because I've been very careful with what I eat, but so far so good on the sickness front. I'm irritated it ruined the end of my trip, though!

The maids at Pop were great about bringing us fresh blankets and changing our sheets when we asked. The resort gift shop couldn't seem to keep enough Immodium in stock, though! :scared:

Just got home and we're all fine. I have a touch of a cold due to the change in temps (it's cold in MS but in FL, wow, it's warm) but that's all. We were at POR and our room was cleaned thoroughly before we got there (mousekeeping was EXCELLENT, FYI). No puking in the parks that I saw/heard, and none at POR. I washed my hands CONSTANTLY and bought Lysol hand sanitizer, so that prolly helped better than Purell.

Wow we seemed to dodge this since it was going around while we were there, although we all got a very nasty head cold which I would take gladly over the stomach virus any day. Hope everyone stays well who are there now and those that are sick get well soon!

Im going to enjoy life tomorrow and not worry about any viruses/bacteria.
I may get blood on me/feces or even vomit.
I'll be on duty as a Firefighter/Medic.
Just wash up everynow and then....We'll all be fine.
The human body has a wonderful immune system..let it do its thing.
Yeah, we'll get sick from time to time.
But, being a germaphobe wont do anything but cause unecessary worry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter