Be a good example for your kids!

One night we went to dinner at Cape May Cafe. We saw a father son pair eating plate, after plate, after plate of clams. Their table was covered with plates of empty shells, plates of full shells, and the sheen of butter across the entire table was enough for an elf to skate on. They were literally eating so many clams, that no one else could get any - The moment they saw a chef bring more to the buffet table, they would run up there, and take about 45% each. They were competing against each other to see who could out-eat who, and had a count going on the paper table cloth. I can't remember what it was at, but around 500+ per person. It was truly disgusting, and though they ate everything AT the actual restaurant, it was obscene, and way more food (even though they were tiny little clams) than anyone ever needed.

So my question is; Are these people on the "good side" of Santa's list, or are they on the "naughty list" along with the person who took the extra cookies?

And just to add - If the woman who took the cookies in a cloth napkin was staying on property, I was think that she would leave it in her hotel room. So that means that Disney would get their napkin back. Of course this is pure speculation, just a though.

Disgusting, but within the rules. I'd file this with the people that yell at their kids in public but at least they're paying attention rather than letting their child run around like a bat out of hell then yelling at an employee when said child knocks down a beer display and gets splashed with it (can anyone guess what I dealt with tonight? Come on..anyone :rotfl2:)

In that situation, I would have thought maybe their server or someone would approach them and say something like "I'm so glad you're enjoying those clams. If you're still looking for more, maybe we could bring some to your table for you and then other people can try them from the buffet and they'll get to enjoy them too!" All smiles, not encouraging but not scolding. Yeah they'd probably be too self involved to notice the dig but it'd be worth a shot. This is the approach I take with people at my work and had I worked at the buffet where the great cookie caper took place and noticed this, I probably would have said the same type of thing. "Ma'am I can wrap a couple of those up to go for you if you'd like" or something to that effect (assuming the buffet was ok with food walking out)

It doesn't have to be this black and white ridiculousness of you steal therefore you're awful and should be punished. I don't see any way you can slice this story where it puts a positive spin on it for her kids.

1)She didn't ask and assumed she'd be told "No cookies for you" and felt the need to take them in front of her children = we can take stuff and hide it and all will be well.

2)She asked and was told "no" but took them anyway = We asked which is good, but we didn't like the answer so we did what we wanted anyway

3)She didn't think to ask but still thought what she was doing was wrong according to how OP said she was behaving = We're doing something bad but as long as no one sees us, it's ok.

so on and so forth. Really it doesn't matter if you see a rule or law as silly or stupid or needless, they exist for a reason.

Rememberingthe70s said:
I figure judgement calls like that are not for me to decide. Does crap like that irritate me? Not unless it affects me directly. You want to hoard cookies? Awesome, hoard cookies. Cut the line? Fine, jerk. Cut the line. Not my problem/not my style. If it bothers me that much or I think harm is being done, I'll say something to a CM or manager. There are people that are paid to deal with this nonsense, and I'm always more than thrilled that it is not me.

Like :)

Guess I should return a new apple and banana to CP to replace the ones my kids took on their plate, didn't eat, and then took with us when we left....oops! I think I would have felt more guilty leaving it behind to get tossed. But I guess that is a little different?

I dunno, taking food from a buffet is such a minor thing. A couple cookies isn't that blatant (as opposed to stuffing a purse with steak or something.

Guess I should return a new apple and banana to CP to replace the ones my kids took on their plate, didn't eat, and then took with us when we left....oops! I think I would have felt more guilty leaving it behind to get tossed. But I guess that is a little different?

That's totally different and you know it. You didn't stop by the buffet and shove a half dozen pieces of fruit into a stolen napkin to take home so you really can't compare yourself.

The reality is that had they just asked for the cookies, the staff would have said yes. Now they are not going to let you take a doggie bag full of shrimp or something crazy like that but we have on MANY occasions asked to take a cookie or piece of fruit for one of our boys and have never been denied. Just this past trip at a character breakfast DS5, choose to eat not more than two bites of anything. I knew he would be hungry soon and asked the waiter if I could take him a banana to go. He was just fine with that. Also was granted permission to take slow-poke eater's ( same kid different meal :)) cookie with us. Answer was sure. I do always ask though.

Maybe I am just oblivious but who even notices stuff like this? :confused3 I am happy to be on vacation and I am tending to my own family. I couldn't even tell you who was standing next to me at the buffet. I am too busy trying to decide what I want to eat.:rotfl2:

I'm with you! :thumbsup2 Having too much fun with my family to bother. I would normally go with the "Disney has to raise prices because people are stealing napkins" defense, but they have plenty of $$ and will raise prices anyway.:lmao::lmao::rotfl2::rotfl2: I'm pretty sure I wouldn't even notice.

Who cares? It's just a couple of cookies!

The things people post on here!

If the OP was really that concerned or bothered..why not turn the lady in? Clearly it really didn't bother her that much. :confused3

May be, maybe not. My mom's church has a Christmas show every year called 'Walk of the Wisemen'. It's a really big thing that takes place every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night for three weeks in Dec and has a full cast of characters, props/scenery, and live animals that covers that entire property and covers from Jesus' birth to the crucifixtion. People come from everywhere to see it. After they walk through, guests then go into the fellowship hall for cookies, coffee, hot cocoa, and hot apple cider. The cookies are served on big nice silver trays. My mom always works there serving hot cocoa every year. Last year, she came home telling me about a really strange incident, where a woman came by, picked up an entire huge tray of cookies and just walked out to her car with them and left. She didn't ask and waited until the worker had placed a new tray of cookies out before just picking the entire tray up and walking out with it. It was not toward the end of the night either. This was early in the night, with lots of people in line behind her waiting for cookies. I asked my mom if anyone went after her to stop her and she said no, everyone was speechless and just watched her walk out. They were all too much in shock that someone would do something like that. With over a hundred people waiting, why one someone think it would be OK to pick up a huge silver tray of cookies to take home. My mom said the woman just picked up the whole tray and walked out with it, like it wasn't a big deal. No one knew who this lady was. Not only did this stranger get a huge tray of cookies for her family, but also stole a very nice silver tray from the church right in front of everybody. Some people just have tons of nerve and when they do something like that, it leaves people around them in shock and sometimes speechless.

Back to the OT: We have some buffets around here that have signs saying 'NO outside food may be brought in and NO food may be taken out'.

My problem with the OP is the fact she will call the cookie stealer out on a message board, a message board the cookie monster will probably never visit.

If you want to be a good example for children you do the right thing and the OP should have mentioned the theft to a CM, or have some guts and nicely said something to the cookie stealer.

Why be so passive-aggressive about the whole thing?

First, taking the cookies was OKish, but the cloth napkin was stealing. I feel bad for the OP - she is getting some pretty harsh comments when she was not in the wrong. I tend to be a people watcher and would be the type to notice something like this ( even while enjoying my family on vacation and choosing yummy buffet food). I don't know that it was her place to "rat out" the thief to a CM. Lastly, I thought these boards were a friendly place to post our thoughts, questions, vents, etc. - hard to do that when people will say bad things just for an opinion.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

At one of the buffets we were actually told to go back up and grab some sweets or fruit on our way out for later! I was uncomfortable with it so we didn't but I don't think they mind. It's the sneaky stealing part that is crappy, cause like I said, they really don't care and waste so much food as it is!

I know when my nieces were at Ohana (big family trip) they kept wanting more juice... Well when my nieces got cupcakes for their birthday we got talking about all the cupcakes they got that trip and one of them said "Honestly I would prefer a cup of extra juice" the waitress must have overhead because she brought them each a large to go cup of the juice. So I agree they definitely do let people take extra things home

The niece that made that comment still to this day talks about that juice.. (As a side note I wonder if there is any place where they would let me purchase some to bring her home... I know Boma has very similar juice if not the same stuff and we are staying at AKV... would be a nice present for her.

First, taking the cookies was OKish, but the cloth napkin was stealing. I feel bad for the OP - she is getting some pretty harsh comments when she was not in the wrong.

Your pretty new here. If you stay long you will notice that is the way of things. The people who follow the rules, and expect others to, are often mocked. But don't let that scare you off.:)

Thanks maxiesmom. I have actually been reading the boards for a while but just started posting recently. It won't scare me off or keep me from posting though!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

My problem with the OP is the fact she will call the cookie stealer out on a message board, a message board the cookie monster will probably never visit.

If you want to be a good example for children you do the right thing and the OP should have mentioned the theft to a CM, or have some guts and nicely said something to the cookie stealer.

Why be so passive-aggressive about the whole thing?

How on earth is it passive aggressive to notice something and comment about it later on an annonymous message board?:confused3 While I can see "passive," I see absolutely nothing agressive about it.

Passive aggressive would have been if it was someone she knew and put this story on facebook,giving clues so people would recognize her.

I'm truly amazed that so many people here think it's fine to take food for later from buffets, not to mention taking the tableware.

It's not stealing cookies if she paid to eat the buffet. I always bring ziplocs when we eat at Disney. I'm usually stuffed after the actual meal but fix me a plate of goodies for later. The children and I share them later while we're waiting to get on rides. The lady may have returned the napkin at a later time or it could have been a regular napkin. Now if she had hauled her tupperware collection up to the bar you might have a point but for goodness sakes leave the lady alone over a few cookies. pooh:

Also maybe she was jumpy because she felt watched. She may have wanted to eat them right there but was feeling fat and judged by strangers. So she decided to load them up to gobble down in the bathroom later. You just never know!!

I don't see the big deal with taking a few cookies "to go'. The napkin I have an issue with, but not enough to complain about it.

The cost to the restaurant of someone taking a cookie or a piece of fruit is negligible and pales in comparison to the money they literally throw in dumpsters everyday on wasted food.

How on earth is it passive aggressive to notice something and comment about it later on an annonymous message board?:confused3 While I can see "passive," I see absolutely nothing agressive about it.

Passive aggressive would have been if it was someone she knew and put this story on facebook,giving clues so people would recognize her.

I'm truly amazed that so many people here think it's fine to take food for later from buffets, not to mention taking the tableware.

--------------

She did not just comment. She called the cookie stealer out and told her to be a good example to her children.

If it bothered the OP so much that she had to come home and post to the cookie stealer ( instead of just posting a general comment like " Do you know what I saw at MK" ? ) she should have spoke up right then and there during the cookie stealing act. The OP should have been a good role model to her own children and tried to stop the " theft".

Personally, if I saw the cookie stealer in action I would have assumed a CM told her to take some cookies and "covertly" put it in the napkin. I sure would not let it ruin my day and I sure would not post directly to the cookie stealer when I returned home. I would be busy posting about getting ran over by strollers, how Disney ruined my vaca because I couldn't score a certain ADR, or I had to wait forever for a bus. Just kidding :lmao:

By the way I am eating some Toll Houses right now...acquired quite legally.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter