BCV Studio rehab- a hot mess!

We just returned from a short stay in a studio at BCV in a renovated room. Some pros and some cons. I liked the old decor but it was nice to be in a clean fresh room. Opened the murphy bed to take a peek and it would not latch upon closing, so couldn't put any thing on table that would pull the whole bed down. Maintenance came and fixed while we were at park. When our daughter and her husband checked into the studio next to us, their murphy bed had a chair propped next to it to hold up the bed as it would not latch either. Sensing a design flaw here !

Or kids jumping on them. I have a friend that for years was administrative assistant to a GM of one of the deluxe resorts. The damage reports from her were amazing.

Judging by general reaction on the boards, it seems as though a modest majority of folks are happy about the capacity "increase." I'm not one of them, though, because I agree with Dean:

Heck, even when it is just the two of us, I'd rather be in a 1BR so that night owl/early bird issues aren't issues.

Us also, but we can't always afford the points for a one bedroom. I'm the early bird and like to have my coffee first thing. I'm always waking someone up, even when I creep out of the room.

View attachment 182000

The bathroom tile on the floor and shower were a nice change from the grey, but were very bland and lacked any charm. Previously there were blue shells on these tiles, but those were removed for this. It's not terrible and looks nice, but so does the bathroom at the Hilton in any town in the world.
I agree! I don't want my DVC resorts to look like a Hilton! That is really why I never really cared for BLT- looks to much like IKEA and no Disney magic!

I guess I don't consider that "cooking". I don't stay in studios often. Didn't think they even had cook ware. Kind of limited to re heating?
There are some things you can "cook" in a microwave.

But no, there isn't cookware. Or cooking utensils. Or even real plates.

There are some things you can "cook" in a microwave.

But no, there isn't cookware. Or cooking utensils. Or even real plates.
I've said this several times here. IMO, this is an area where Marriott does much better than does DVC. With a similar footprint for studios they do a King plus pullout and with a similar size/style kitchen area they have real utensils and cookware.

I was happy to hear that the BCV were rehabbing the rooms as I was no fan of the odd mismatched, tacky decor in the original rooms. I even requested a rehabbed room for our 8 night trip this summer. Upon first checking into the room, we thought it looked pretty nice. After looking closer and living with it for 8 nights, we saw just what a mess it was.:crazy2:

I think whoever designed the rooms was an amateur at best. Perhaps just one of Disney's accountants watched some HGTV and felt he could do it better than a designer, who knows. It's a mess though. Lack of storage, unfinished work, sloppy work, and poor planning are some of the highlights of this rehab. The room is bland, it lacks any kind of character that even the tacky blue and yellow decor had, has poor lighting, and the lack of storage makes it difficult for a stay of any length. Add to that the paint splatters on the beautiful new floor, the unfinished paint in the cupboard, this missing glass on the cupboard door, the removal of the ceiling fan, the poor choice in curtains, the unfinished curtain rod, the white sofa, the lack of corner guards on the corners of the walls, the removal of dvd players, the closet shelf and rod that is too big for the closet, and the list goes on.

We also spent a week in a newly rehabbed room at VB. It was beautifully done, updated, had character, had charm, the work was of a high quality and the room felt very upscale. So Disney is capable of designing a beautiful hotel room still. They just didn't bother doing so at the BCV. They should really be embarrassed.

Here are some photos of the issues we had

View attachment 181970

No drawers or storage of any kind on this vanity. Just the open shelf on the bottom. They could have easily had drawers on this.

View attachment 181972

Blah grey walls with white trim. Just like on every HGTV rehab show you have seen lately. No artwork anywhere in the room except a small picture in the bathroom (that clashes) and a picture that looks like the Bahamas over the sofa. Nice lamps, great tv, horrid piece of trailer furniture with a table that folds down into a bed. Hate, hate, hate these additions they are putting into the rooms. This unit has four tiny drawers for clothes. The are about the size of a shoebox. There are also two small drawers in a small oval coffee table/ottoman. That's it for storage besides the one drawer in the nightstand.

More to come...
:worried: Wish they'd quit refurbing everything to look generic, & get back to the creative Disney theming that customers have been happily shelling out for all these years.

They're walking a tightrope by raising resort & villa prices so high, then not keeping them all at Disney standard. They can't lean that far in one direction (immediate profit maximization) without falling off the tightrope & crashing. I'm a Disney diehard & already have planned my first offsite hotel stay for this holiday season.

Last edited:
As a BCV owner (who has not stayed there in 10 years) I have mixed feelings about this. The closet bar close to the doors is really stupid, and probably shocked me the most. I wish the studios did not sleep 5, they really are too small for this IMHO. There would never be enough storage for 5 people (not to mention 5 sharing a bathroom is not a vacation for me, but others think it is fine, obviously). I would like the decor to be classy with a touch of whimsey, they seem to find a nice balance at the DL hotels, including Paradise Pier, which has a somewhat similar theme (beach ball pillows! Adorable Disney lamps!) Ditto for the DL Hotel.

I am fine with studios having a small coffee maker standard, larger one on request. I would not even use it at all, so I would rather have the smaller one taking up less of the limited space available.

I've said this several times here. IMO, this is an area where Marriott does much better than does DVC. With a similar footprint for studios they do a King plus pullout and with a similar size/style kitchen area they have real utensils and cookware.
I'd like real silverware, for eating. But I really don't want real cooking utensils and cookware. There isn't a stove and I wouldn't want to try to "cook" with just a microwave.

We do things like sandwiches and chips for lunch or dinner and yogurt and fruit for breakfast. But the most we will do in the microwave is popcorn or reheating leftovers. We don't even use the coffee maker. Instead, I bring a kettle to make tea.

I'd like real silverware, for eating. But I really don't want real cooking utensils and cookware. There isn't a stove and I wouldn't want to try to "cook" with just a microwave.

We do things like sandwiches and chips for lunch or dinner and yogurt and fruit for breakfast. But the most we will do in the microwave is popcorn or reheating leftovers. We don't even use the coffee maker. Instead, I bring a kettle to make tea.
It's been a while since I looked at them but IIRC it's plates, cups, glasses, silverware, Serving set, measuring cup & spoon, corkscrew, can opener, mixing bowl (?set) and a couple of microwave bowls. Similar microwave & fridge. Now I stayed in a studio at Wyndham Panama City and it is more like a 1 BR. The kitchen there was better than most hotel conversions I've seen for a 1 or 2 BR. But it's a larger unit with a different footprint.

Last week we stayed at a brand new Holiday Inn Express. Sorry but you could have told me that it was the Beach Club Villas. "Theming" was the same!

Looking forward to our split stay BCV/BWV in October. We were at the BCV this past October, non renovated studio and DH and I had such a good time at F&W. :drinking1We really enjoy Stormalong Bay. Hopefully, by then, both stays will be renovated studios!::yes::

As a person contemplating buying BCV points, this gave me pause. I think of 'beachy' colours as the hues of the actual colours of a beach, not what I see in your pictures. I agree with you, the overall look and fit are poorly done. I don't know if Disney has their own crew or if they are sub-contract, but there is a disconnect between the idea of a 'beach club' villa and the rehabbed result. I didn't know about the murphy being installed. So these rooms will now fit five?
I own at BCV - and while I have not seen the refurbished rooms the decor is not why I choose BCV over others - I wanted the location, the smallish size of the resort and Storm-along Bay pool. Being that close to Epcot is fabulous for us - I used to own at BWV and love BCV so much more - the pool, the Marketplace is much more convenient for stuff than the Screen Door - it is all about what you are looking for - if you are buyng based on the decor they can change that at any resort at any time! Just something to think about!

it is all about what you are looking for - if you are buyng based on the decor they can change that at any resort at any time! Just something to think about!

You make a very good point. Although SAB holds no appeal to us-we don't swim-I do love the Solarium, the background music, the smells as I walk into BCV, etc. I suppose that decor could change anywhere.

You would likely be amazed at all that can be done in a microwave. Cooking....not reheating.

You can also request items from housekeeping to assist with cooking.

Also bbq grills and we have also used an electric skillet.

I own at BCV - and while I have not seen the refurbished rooms the decor is not why I choose BCV over others - I wanted the location, the smallish size of the resort and Storm-along Bay pool. Being that close to Epcot is fabulous for us - I used to own at BWV and love BCV so much more - the pool, the Marketplace is much more convenient for stuff than the Screen Door - it is all about what you are looking for - if you are buyng based on the decor they can change that at any resort at any time! Just something to think about!

Yes, don't buy based on the decor. However, part of my post also discusses the lack of quality workmanship in the unit we were assigned. Hopefully it was just our unit (I doubt it) but contrast to the excellent job done at Vero Beach and I would be an unhappy BCV owner.

Yes, don't buy based on the decor. However, part of my post also discusses the lack of quality workmanship in the unit we were assigned. Hopefully it was just our unit (I doubt it) but contrast to the excellent job done at Vero Beach and I would be an unhappy BCV owner.
Unfortunately the sales does a great job telling the story of all the design decisions when you buy .... Then the refurb department rips all the pages of the book out :(

FWIW, I just did the Poly bungalow tour, and loved hearing how the DVC designers worked and received approval from 1971 Imagineers, and included artwork from Mary Blair ... It doesn't seem like the re-design process is anywhere that detailed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter