• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

BCV or FWR Cabins?

alcie27

Mouseketeer
We already have a 2 bedroom villa booked at the BCV in Dec but I just realized we could save some money if we switched to 2 cabins at Ft Wilderness. We'll have 4 adults and 2 kids, made up of 2 grandparents and a family of 4. Should we stick with the BCV or are the cabins worth considering? :confused3

We already have a 2 bedroom villa booked at the BCV in Dec but I just realized we could save some money if we switched to 2 cabins at Ft Wilderness. We'll have 4 adults and 2 kids, made up of 2 grandparents and a family of 4. Should we stick with the BCV or are the cabins worth considering? :confused3

A two bedroom villa will have two bedrooms, two bathrooms, full kitchen and washer and dryer. A cabin will have one bedroom, one bathroom, no washer and dryer.

Just my opinion.... but.....

I just love BCV for three reasons: location, transportation, and stuff to do at night.

Location: You just can't beat walking across a bridge and being at World Showcase!

Transportation: I LOVE being able to use the boat, monorail, or walking to get to HS, Epcot, and MK. It's possible to only set foot on a dreaded bus if you want to go to Downtown Disney or Animal Kingdom. I've stayed at AKL several times which is wonderful... but bus is the ONLY mode of transportation there and I tell ya... by the end of the trip I really really really hated the sight of a bus!

Stuff to do at night: It's really nice to be able to walk two other resorts so close by (Boardwalk and Yacht Club). It gives you a LOT more options for restaurants, lounges, etc. And sometimes it's fun just to wander their lobbies and check them out.

One final note: don't forget BCV has THE best pool in all of WDW! Stormalong Bay is amazing.

Whatever you choose I'm sure you will have a fantastic trip! Enjoy!

:thumbsup2

I believe the OP said they could get 2 cabins at FW and still save money, which would be worth considering. At FW you still have boat transportation to MK and to the Contemporary, where you can catch the monorail. The cabins would definitely be more secluded, with no attached neighbors and woods surrounding them. Parking directly in front of your room is nice too, if you'll have a car. Like another poster mentioned, BCV wins on the pool comparison, and it will feel more luxurious.

I would say the difference comes down to whether you'd like to spend your vacation in the quiet wilderness or at a fancier hotel in the city. Being right in the middle of the Epcot resort area and all its excitement would be neat, but it is a much busier area than FW with its woodsy trails and Bay Lake. Either way you'll have a great time, but they are very different locations.

Enjoy!

Plus if you go in December, the campers will be decorated and it will VERY Christmas-y. We love the cabins at the holidays.

BCV has a LOT more walking to get anywhere. Just walking inside the buildings is a lot, then over to the main Beach Club lobby, then out to the bus or boat. Fort Wilderness is more spread out, but there's an internal bus at the end of the cabin loops, so much less walking.

A cabin is SO much quieter and it's so great to never hear stomping or running in the hallway, or hear when the people above you get home at night. You're totally separated which is great.

I spent my whole childhood in the cabins at Fort Wilderness, or in the campgrounds, and I have to tell you- I LOVE THEM.

The amount of activities over there is AMAZING, it goes way beyond pools. My brother and I walked around, played in the playgrounds (are those still there?), rode bikes, etc. And the BEST part about Fort Wilderness was the campfire every night, we had a sing along, roasted marshmallows and made smores and watched a Disney movie!!! (Make sure you bring cookies-- Chip & Dale always took them and when we were kids we LOVED that!!)

Of course, River Country was open back then, so pool schmool, but I do know people talk a lot about the BCV pool.

I have to tell you, I absolutely LOVED Fort Wilderness as a kid.

...BCV has a LOT more walking to get anywhere. Just walking inside the buildings is a lot, then over to the main Beach Club lobby, then out to the bus or boat. Fort Wilderness is more spread out, but there's an internal bus at the end of the cabin loops, so much less walking.....

BCV is the second smallest DVC resort at WDW after VWL. The hallways are short, the walk to the pool isn't that far. You can walk to both Epcot and DHS if you like so you don't have to wait for a bus like at FW. You can wait for a boat, but you can also walk.

BCV hands down. The Cabins are not nearly as nice (we tried them for 1 night and my Dh who is one of the most down to earth people I've ever met was waking up at the crack of dawn to get out) as the BC and the location and SAB can't be beat. FW is not in the same league even as the BC. You will have a blast. Enjoy your vacation!

I have stayed at the cabins and really loved them.If you are considering cost though, let me say I would NEVER stay at the cabins without a golf cart to get around. If you factor that into your price the savings may not be that much.

Just my opinion.... but.....

I just love BCV for three reasons: location, transportation, and stuff to do at night.

Location: You just can't beat walking across a bridge and being at World Showcase!

Transportation: I LOVE being able to use the boat, monorail, or walking to get to HS, Epcot, and MK. It's possible to only set foot on a dreaded bus if you want to go to Downtown Disney or Animal Kingdom. I've stayed at AKL several times which is wonderful... but bus is the ONLY mode of transportation there and I tell ya... by the end of the trip I really really really hated the sight of a bus!

Stuff to do at night: It's really nice to be able to walk two other resorts so close by (Boardwalk and Yacht Club). It gives you a LOT more options for restaurants, lounges, etc. And sometimes it's fun just to wander their lobbies and check them out.

One final note: don't forget BCV has THE best pool in all of WDW! Stormalong Bay is amazing.

Whatever you choose I'm sure you will have a fantastic trip! Enjoy!

:thumbsup2

I second this, although I must admit that I prefer the BC theme to FW... so the BC would always be my choice!

If, however, you prefer the vibe at FW, I would definitely take advantage of the cost savings! Plus, I agree with the PP that mentioned that Christmas is a great time to stay there amidst the cabin decorations. Here again, though, I do prefer the sea-themed, more formal decorations at the BC.

I say go with whichever theme you prefer! Space should not be a huge issue either way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter