BCV Internet access - depends who you ask

cyiland

Chris Young "DVChris"
Let's make this short and factual instead of the long-winded version I first wrote. ;)

We're at the BCV right now (arrived Saturday) and other than being tired and feet hurting a bit, we're having a great time on our first DVC stay since buying in Oct 02. :)

That said, a word to the wise about Internet access onsite: not only do they not know about the product they are selling, these Disney employees aren't even sure what they CAN sell.

Essentially, over calls both prior to arrival and after arriving, I was told that yes, BCVs DO have wireless access available now IN ROOM ($9.95/day). In fact, in both cases, I was told that was the ONLY high-speed option I had available. Yesterday when I called "the front desk" (more on THAT later), they said I'd need to get to the Business Center in the Conference Center to purchase whatever I'd need for it, but that they are only open until 4pm on weekends. So I arranged my schedule to get over there today.
Arrived at 3:55 to be told that no, BCV's did not HAVE wireless service into rooms. She said she was aware that they are in the process of getting it installed. But for now, she said the only wireless "hot spots" were in the conference center or the Beach Club lobby -- too much hassle to deal with. After I explained that I had been told twice that they DID, she asked if I'd like her to call Engineering to verify, based on this "pending upgrade". I said yes, and she did. She asked the person that answered the phone if I could get wireless service in my room, and that person said "yes". But by the time she handed the phone to me, the voice on the other side was saying that for THIS wireless service, I'd need to get a CABLE from housekeeping. HUH? A CABLE for wireless? I'm and Internet Access Provider in my "non-DVC" life... please don't tell me you need a cable for wireless access! :p

By the time it was all said and done, the Business Center person had started intermingling the wired and wireless access services as well, confused dialup access with their wired (DSL served in the
room) access, and told me that if wireless access HAD been an option, it would have cost me an extra $65 ON TOP of the $9.95 for "something" that she wasn't sure what it was. (My guess, it was a 802.11g WiFi card, though I have one already. But she didn't know enough about it to discuss this with her.)

At the end of the day, I obviously have access. It's DSL, and you literally DO have to call HOUSEKEEPING to have them bring you an Ethernet cable if you don't have one with you. We're in a two-bedroom villa, and the jack is (inconveniently) located right behind the coffee table in the corner of the living room. But I'd say it is just by CHANCE that I have access.

Uh, other "file it away in case" info: To get help using your Internet connection if you stay here, dial "9611" from your Disney phone, then choose Option 2 for Internet help. I'm getting right at a 300kbps download speed. Not sure of upload speed, haven't tested.

Final comment (see other post I'm going to add on this): If you dial the button on the phone that says "Front Desk", guess what? You don't get the front desk. According to my (frustrated) Business Center employee, they've consolidated that to some office 15 miles away, where they frequently DON'T know what's going on at your resort. Huh. Who'd have thought "Front Desk" wouldn't mean "Front Desk"?

???!!!

Chris

You DON'T need to hoof it all the way to the Business Center for this connection. Just call Housekeeping (if you need a cable), hook up your computer to the DSL outlet, load your browser, and follow the prompts.

Also make sure you leave the window with the clock up- it is keeping the connection up for you, you may get disconnected if you close it.

My understanding was that the rooms were to be wired only, with hot spots in certain buisness heavy locations like the convention rooms and lobby and such, as you have said.

And one thing I have learned with these inroom internet things, not just on Disney property, always bring your own cable, preferably a good long one, there may or may not be one there for you.

And that is a lovely and confusing number of conversations you have had with people. One thing I have leaned with the resorts that are non-dedicated DVC is that you really can't depend on getting good straight answers quickly or easily. I wound up having to stop an engineer and talk to him directly to get something straightened out the last time I stayed at VWL.

I agree with MarkRG...I NEVER heard of WIRELESS internet in ROOMS. The only thing I heard was of high speed internet in the rooms and wireless in the lobby/convention areas.

I would love wireless in the rooms, but just highspeed is enough for me, as I would only use it once or twice a week while there and only for a few hours (while DW sleeps in :teeth: ).

Mike

Originally posted by cyiland
Just call Housekeeping (if you need a cable), hook up your computer to the DSL outlet, load your browser, and follow the prompts.

I would still bring my own Ethernet cable...........in case housekeeping is out of them.::yes::

Here are some more hints...

Don't look for info about the High-Speed internet access at your villa (or anywhere else) at BCV! There are no references about the service posted anywhere (including on the phone service 'cheat sheet' within the villa). I only knew about this service by hearing about on the DIS!!!

Another thing, the ethernet jacks are not labeled showing their purpose. For me, learning what jack did what was 'Plug and Pray' (OH....I had to crawl under the table to get a good look at the jack-box only to find ANOTHER jack-box on the opposite side of the living room sofabed!)

Once everything is connected, all that is necessary is to bring up your browser, accept the charge and keep the 'connection window' open.

(Read on at your own risk AND if you use VPN...PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong...tnxs!!)

Keeping the 'connection window' open may not be necessary if you use a VPN connection. It may have been a fluke, but I was able to open a VPN connection with my company without opening the 'connection window'.
<b>Someone please verify...</b>

Now this is different than when I was using it in the Contemporary. It was a dedicated device sitting on the dresser next to the couch to plug the laptop into with it's own card explaining how to hook it up with help numbers and everything.

Maybe they are running behind some on getting those devices into the rooms.

Now an ethernet jack will not plug into a phone jack. They are of different sizes so it would be hard to plug it into the wrong place, so don't get too worried about plugging it into the wrong socket.

I don't know if Terminal Server is considered VPN or not. We used it the last time with the clock thing running; I'll try it without in May when we're at OKW.

Oh, and speaking of info on the DIS, here's the actual press release, had to dig some to find it.

Click here for article on the DIS

Does anyone know if access is only availalbe for Windows based PCs? I don't run Windows on my laptop (I use Linux), but was planning on bringing it along on our next trip to OKW (late May) to do some work while our DD is napping. However, if their high-speed only supports Windows, then I'm out of luck. I'll have to hijack my DH's laptop instead, and leave mine at home (which may not be a bad thing...)

Thanks,
Mur!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter