BCV/AKV or OKW

oceanwave

Mouseketeer
We are looking at renting DVC points and booking our next trip and just wanted to get opinions on our options. We have narrowed down our choices to Beach club villas, Animal Kingdom Villas or Old Key West. It will be 2 adults and our 4 year old, and I will have an ECV. Last year we stayed at Beach Club and loved it. Our son loved the pool, and we loved the resort and the ability to walk to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. We stayed at AKV a few years ago when our son was a baby, so that was a very low keyed trip and the resort definitely was great for that. This year we are contemplating Old Key West as well. We have not stayed at this resort yet, and looking at it mainly for the price. It's about a $1300 difference in price between OKW and Beach Club, with AKV in between. That's a lot of money we could put towards food. Our travel style is mostly breakfast in the villa, lunch in the park (either QS or TS) and a mix of dinners in the villa and out. I am sure we would be happy at any of the resorts, but which one would you choose?

I have stayed at AK and OKW; will you have a car or using Disney transport? I think an ECV would be a bit of a PITA at Kidani where (as you probably know) the hallways go on forever. OKW you can park right outside the door (in most buildings). The 1BRs and 2BRs at OKW are also huge, which I appreciate personally, plus the balcony has a table and not just chairs.

BCV I have not stayed at but I'd pocket the money and stay at OKW.

I have stayed at all 3 and love all 3 for different reasons.

I do think OKW has the biggest rooms of all 3 so hands down, if you are looking for a little more space for your ECV, then OKW might have the edge. If you like spending time in DS, then you can take the boat right over. the one down side is no easy access to any of the parks but otherwise, it's a lovely resort. I'm also the type of person who likes to try different resorts. If you can save that much money and try something new then I'd say go for it. One thing to note; however, is that most of the buildings do not have elevators so make sure to note that you need a first floor room.

I have stayed at AK and OKW; will you have a car or using Disney transport? I think an ECV would be a bit of a PITA at Kidani where (as you probably know) the hallways go on forever. OKW you can park right outside the door (in most buildings). The 1BRs and 2BRs at OKW are also huge, which I appreciate personally, plus the balcony has a table and not just chairs.

BCV I have not stayed at but I'd pocket the money and stay at OKW.

We will definitely rent a car if we stay at AKV or OKW, but would probably take the buses to the park. Yes the hallways are long, lol! Thankfully my husband likes to walk and I just drive behind.

I have stayed at all 3 and love all 3 for different reasons.

I do think OKW has the biggest rooms of all 3 so hands down, if you are looking for a little more space for your ECV, then OKW might have the edge. If you like spending time in DS, then you can take the boat right over. the one down side is no easy access to any of the parks but otherwise, it's a lovely resort. I'm also the type of person who likes to try different resorts. If you can save that much money and try something new then I'd say go for it. One thing to note; however, is that most of the buildings do not have elevators so make sure to note that you need a first floor room.

Good point about the elevators, thanks! I love that we don't have to take a bus to Epcot and Hollywood studios from BCV, but not sure if it's worth the cost.

Hopefully your trip isn't during the fall because it may be difficult to find a reservation, especially for the Beach Club. DVC resort stays on points get booked up fast for mid-Sept through mid-Jan.

If you can get BCV, that's what I would do with an ECV. 2 parks I wouldn't have to worry about getting the ECV on a bus. Even without a wheelchair or ECV, I prefer to stay at a resort where I can limit my bus use.

You actually are talking about our 3 favorite resorts at Disney! We have enjoyed all 3, and each has many pros and perhaps a couple cons.

I think you need to determine where you will be spending most of your time - at the resort, at the MK, EPCOT, AK, HS, Disney Springs, etc.... When we are focused on the festivals and perhaps the Christmas holidays at EPCOT, there is no other spot for us than BC. If you plan to enjoy some evenings shopping or dining at Disney Springs, OKW is a great location with a short boat ride to the middle of the action (and their boats easily handle the ECVs). But AKL is always our first choice when we're doing 'a little of this and a little of that'. We've had experience with ECVs at AKL, and it's not an issue. First of all, we find the argument about the 'long halls' at AKL to be a bit exaggerated - and it really depends on the location of your room! If you are in the Kidani building, there are 4 sets of elevators along the resort that will take you to the underground parking area, and the bus stop for Kidani is very centrally located. If you are in Jambo House, and if you have a room at one of the ends, it can be a bit of a walk to the main lobby. But if you have an ECV and your spouse doesn't mind walking, it's a non-issue.

We really love the dining options at AKL - Jikl, Boma, Sanaa, and Mara are among our favorite places to eat - so you can easily enjoy time at the pool in the afternoon and a meal at the resort in the evening without even leaving the resort, if you chose to do so! BCV also has many options available, with the Boardwalk restaurants, along with all the EPCOT restaurants, all within walking distance. And even though OKW doesn't have the dining options of the other 2, it might have the best rooms - large, quiet, and parking right near your room door. The point above about elevators is a very important one - be sure to request a building with an elevator (there are several newer building that have them) or a first-floor room.

Not sure I'm helping here, but any of these options is an outstanding option. I would lean slightly AKL, but we would not hesitate to recommend any of these 3 resorts. Hope you have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter