• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

BBB NOT for Teens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Classof83

Earning My Ears
Just returned from mom/daughter trip for dd's 16th b-day. Everything wonderful, except for trip to BBB in the castle.

Was on the fence about the appointment - considering her age, the hairstyles in the brochure seemed too juvenile. Several days before departure, called customer service about this - could my daughter have something else done? "Absolutely! We have girls of all ages get their hair done. We have girls that come to get ready for prom!"

Flash forward to the appointment, daughter is in the chair, and fairy-godmother-in-training informs us they are only allowed to do the 3 hairstyles in the brochure. The manager is called over and she apologizes for the mix-up customer service has made. We were assured that they could fix the hairstyle so my daughter would look appropriate.

Needless to say, the stylist (for lack of a better word) did nothing to make my daughter look her age. My daughter could not see was the stylist was doing (the clients are turned away from the mirror) and so could offer no imput. I did not get a close look until everying was finished. I paid the $50+ and left very disappointed.

We walked straight to the wishing well, and she made me undo the whole thing. She said she hated it, it was ugly, and she had a headache from how tight the lady had pulled her hair into the bun.

I could have cried. Wasted money and wasted preciouse time in Magic Kingdom:sad: :sad: :sad:

I wish there was something I could do.

so sorry you had a bad experience, maybe you could write WDW and tell them what happened??

It's funny that you say this - I feel like all the little girls I have seen coming out of BBB this trip have had styles that look waaay too old for them! The Hannah Montana or whatever hairstyle it is with extensions (sometimes colored) is ubiquitous this year. Thankfully I did not have to argue with my DD about (not) getting that hairstyle, because, after her experience last year, she refuses to go near the place again . . . like your DD, she was not happy with how tightly her hair was pulled - you can tell just by looking at it it's painful!

I'm sorry your DD had a bad experience there. :(

Just returned from mom/daughter trip for dd's 16th b-day. Everything wonderful, except for trip to BBB in the castle.

Was on the fence about the appointment - considering her age, the hairstyles in the brochure seemed too juvenile. Several days before departure, called customer service about this - could my daughter have something else done? "Absolutely! We have girls of all ages get their hair done. We have girls that come to get ready for prom!"

Flash forward to the appointment, daughter is in the chair, and fairy-godmother-in-training informs us they are only allowed to do the 3 hairstyles in the brochure. The manager is called over and she apologizes for the mix-up customer service has made. We were assured that they could fix the hairstyle so my daughter would look appropriate.

Needless to say, the stylist (for lack of a better word) did nothing to make my daughter look her age. My daughter could not see was the stylist was doing (the clients are turned away from the mirror) and so could offer no imput. I did not get a close look until everying was finished. I paid the $50+ and left very disappointed.

We walked straight to the wishing well, and she made me undo the whole thing. She said she hated it, it was ugly, and she had a headache from how tight the lady had pulled her hair into the bun.

I could have cried. Wasted money and wasted preciouse time in Magic Kingdom:sad: :sad: :sad:

It's funny that you say this - I feel like all the little girls I have seen coming out of BBB this trip have had styles that look waaay too old for them! The Hannah Montana or whatever hairstyle it is with extensions (sometimes colored) is ubiquitous this year. Thankfully I did not have to argue with my DD about (not) getting that hairstyle, because, after her experience last year, she refuses to go near the place again . . . like your DD, she was not happy with how tightly her hair was pulled - you can tell just by looking at it it's painful!

I'm sorry your DD had a bad experience there. :(

Both of my DDs refuse to even go near that place. They are 10 and 6 and I am actually glad. I was not impressed and I realize some kids are into it but I just can't see it.

So sorry your DD had such a bad experience.

My 12 year old said she would not be caught dead near the place! LOL.
We saw soooooo many of these girls when we were there a couple of weeks ago and some of the hair is way over the top. But, to a 5 year old they must feel pretty special and oh so pretty! But oh man - we had another name for the BBB - the bibbity boppity slutique!
That being said, I probably would have done it for my daughter when she was little and she probably would have been convinced she looked amazing. LOL.
I think its fun for the little ones, but much over age 9 and they want no part of it!

Sorry your DD didn't like it. My girls went when they were 16 and 14 and had a blast. They even put the hair back in the next day for an extra day out of it. So money well spent for me.

Here they are with my BFF's DD. The 8 year old is the real reason we made the appointment but the older two girls had just as much fun as the little one.

princess.jpg

Sorry your DD didn't like it. My girls went when they were 16 and 14 and had a blast. They even put the hair back in the next day for an extra day out of it. So money well spent for me.

Here they are with my BFF's DD. The 8 year old is the real reason we made the appointment but the older two girls had just as much fun as the little one.

princess.jpg

They look adorable! I think the Tiara really adds something to it. Now if they were just all wearing Princess outfits. :)

I have nothing to add other than the fact that my Daughter (who is six) loves the BBB but I can see a teenager not being into it at all. Sorry that the OP had a horrible experience. :(

Again I could see why a teenager wouldn't want to go. But my girls who were 3 and 5 along with their cousins 6 and 7years, absolutely had a ball. My girls talk about it all the time and have already decided exactly what they want done next time (September) when they will be 5 and 7. I think it is aimed at the youger kids though.

I've said it so many times before: Complaints on the DISboards accomplish nothing productive or constructive.

This is a discussion board to discuss the good and the bad of WDW. The OP has indeed accomplished something productive and constructive--she's let other mothers of teenage girls know that only the 3 hairstyles are available and that they should consider that before forking over the money. While writing WDW to complain is fine, there's nothing wrong with telling others about her experience. I wouldn't hold my breath that Disney would do anything in response to the letter, either.

To the OP: I'm sorry that your daughter didn't enjoy the experience.

This is a discussion board to discuss the good and the bad of WDW. The OP has indeed accomplished something productive and constructive--she's let other mothers of teenage girls know that only the 3 hairstyles are available and that they should consider that before forking over the money. While writing WDW to complain is fine, there's nothing wrong with telling others about her experience. I wouldn't hold my breath that Disney would do anything in response to the letter, either.

To the OP: I'm sorry that your daughter didn't enjoy the experience.

Amen to that!! I get so tired of hearing Dis members being told that they have NO business complaining about an incident they had while on their trip to the world. I had no idea that we were only allowed to discuss things that were positive about their trips, not the negative points. Give me a break.

I think by about 13 or 14 I would have felt too old to do BBB, personally. Most of the girls I saw at the parks last week with BBB hair-dos were in the elementary school age group. [And my DH thought the non-bun hairstyles looked especially tartish on 5 year old children].

Just for information. The FGIT are not licensed cosmetologists or barbers and cannot do any haircutting and basically they are only trained in the three official styles.

I am sorry this happened to you, and you were definitely mis-informed.The FGIT are not licensed and are only trained to do those makeovers and hairstyles.

They look adorable! I think the Tiara really adds something to it. Now if they were just all wearing Princess outfits. :)

I have nothing to add other than the fact that my Daughter (who is six) loves the BBB but I can see a teenager not being into it at all. Sorry that the OP had a horrible experience. :(

Thanks :goodvibes I thought they looked cute and they had fun.

I think by about 13 or 14 I would have felt too old to do BBB, personally. Most of the girls I saw at the parks last week with BBB hair-dos were in the elementary school age group. [And my DH thought the non-bun hairstyles looked especially tartish on 5 year old children].

I wouldn't have wanted it done either at 13 or 14, but my kids grew up going to Disney and they go back to "silly kid mode" when we are there so they like doing things like BBB while we are there. No, they wouldn't do that stuff in normal everyday life, they are all kinds of cool at their high school, but at Disney they feel like little kids again.

I appreciate the OP's experience being shared, even though my daughter is much younger (8). She's been asking often about doing the BBB, and I've been wavering and actually considering it. However, this is a kid who sobs nearly every morning when we brush her hair b/c she's so tenderheaded. If the style was painful for a 16 year old-who I'm guessing is probably pretty into hair and makeup- then it'd be monstrous for my DD.

I guess I'll stick with my original plan to have her hair "painted and sprinkled" along with her kid brother's at the Main Street Barbershop. :rolleyes:

Thanks OP for the information.

Classof83, I know how you feel. Many people don't understand that a teen is still a child. They still like to play and dress up. Most of the time, the 4 to 6 year olds in the BBB don't even want to be there- it's their moms that want to be there!:confused3

michellevw-girls look adorable-did the tiara's come with that hairstyle or did you purchase them seperate?

michellevw-girls look adorable-did the tiara's come with that hairstyle or did you purchase them seperate?

We bought the tiaras separately, I believe they come with the bun hairstyle, but not positive. They loved wearing the tiaras.

I know everyone has a different experience but here was mine..

Kids (one 8 year old and 2 incredibly cool teens) had a blast
No one complained that they pulled their hair too tight
None of them looked like they had too much make up on (youngest one looked like a happy little girl playing dress up, and the older girls had a little more make up on since they were older, but still not alot)
Everyone had fun and it was a highlight of the trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter