BBB Hairstyle? Doing it yourself??

jacksmom

DIS Veteran
Hi! We will be at Disney for 9 nights in July with our 3 yo dd! :cheer2: She is sooooo into Princesses and can't wait to do BBB! But, we have 3 Princess meals planned that she has costumes for and I don't know how long her hair will "last"! :rotfl: I am looking for some advise on doing or re-doing it myself! She has a little longer than shoulder length hair! But, it is very fine and comes out of pig tails/pony tails rather quickly!:confused3 Any advise on how to acheive Princess hair by doing it myself??:confused::idea:

I don't have a lot of advise for doing it yourself, but the FGIT use so so so much hairspray, the 'do' will last awhile. My Dd has always gotten the updo and even when her hair was barely long enough to scrape it into a tiny tiny tail on top of her head, the thing stayed in for three days.

Last year her hair was a bit below her shoulders, and she slept on it four nights with barely a escaping wisp.

The pop princess look is a bit of a messy pony with hair extensions and sparkles. That one would be quite easy to do yourself.

Hairspray I fear, is the key!!!

We've had ours stay for 4 days pretty easily, but then I did redo it. Just make sure you bring a lot of those really cheap black rubber bands, some bobby pins and some gel, and then watch them.

They make a very high, tight, smooth ponytail. (For the princess up-do.)Then they bind it with elastics every inch or so. It's hard to explain, but then they roll it up, so the bottom of the hair is all tightly tucked under the top. Then they take the top section that's between the highest 2 elastics and fan it out and pin it to cover the other hair, and jam in the tiara.

HTH

Gel works even better than the hairspray. My dd has long thick hair and she has gotten each style at the BBB. They have always lasted at least 3 days and then I choose to take it out, it could last longer! You can always just do a simple bun and put the BBB crown in front of it & the minnie ear clip under it in the back. The pop princess and disney diva are easy too because you just make a ponytail or braid and wrap the fake hair around it, some gel and bobby pins and you will be back in action.

My DDs hair did look good for a couple days, but we didn't swim during that time. That might ruin it. :confused3

My DD recently went to a birthday party with one of those "fake hair" scrunchies. I'ver redone her hair several times with it, and it's super easy. I just make a ponytail, and twist it into a bun. Then I slip the fake hair rubber band around the bun and secure it with a bobby pin or two. The hair is curly and matches her own color, so the result is a "prom-style" up-do. We're planning to do BBB one day on our next trip, but I'm going to get a fake pony for my younger daughter too, so I can do both their hair a few extra days. You can get them at Sally Beauty.

I did my daughters hair on my own in Oct 07 when we went to the Halloween Party. We made a quick weekend trip to Disney and didn't want to spend the time doing the BBB. I just pulled her hair into a high ponytail and put gel and hairspray on it. I then used a thin hair net wrapped it around the ponytail and twisted it into a bun and secured it with bobby pins. I had a mini tiara from either a previous visit or dance and put it in front of the bun. We also had some glitter from Libby Lu (I think) and sprinkled it on top of her head.

Here's how it turned out:
Kay1.jpg

Kay.jpg

We were waiting for the parade and fireworks and I was talking to another lady who had taken her little girl to the BBB and she couldn't believe that I did it on my own. Not that it was anywhere near perfect, but it turned out fine for as long as she keeps it up.
We have done the BBB twice and both times my daughter was dying to get it down. I'm sure the hairstyle from BBB would last for a couple days at least and still look good, however my daughter will not leave it up for more than a few hours at the most!!

I do my DD's hair all the time. I even found some Disney princess hair gel at Target (It has glitter!). I bought a ponytail thing at the mall and she has a tiara. Less than 10 bucks for the whole thing and I can do her hair over and over. It is very easy to redo when she wants to go swimming-no muss no fuss.

She hated her hair when she went to BBB (it hurt) but LOVES it when I do it.

We've had ours stay for 4 days pretty easily, but then I did redo it. Just make sure you bring a lot of those really cheap black rubber bands, some bobby pins and some gel, and then watch them.

They make a very high, tight, smooth ponytail. (For the princess up-do.)Then they bind it with elastics every inch or so. It's hard to explain, but then they roll it up, so the bottom of the hair is all tightly tucked under the top. Then they take the top section that's between the highest 2 elastics and fan it out and pin it to cover the other hair, and jam in the tiara.

HTH

I actually had to laugh out loud at your "jam in the tiara"....OMG..that was too funny.:rotfl:

I did my daughters hair on my own in Oct 07 when we went to the Halloween Party. We made a quick weekend trip to Disney and didn't want to spend the time doing the BBB. I just pulled her hair into a high ponytail and put gel and hairspray on it. I then used a thin hair net wrapped it around the ponytail and twisted it into a bun and secured it with bobby pins. I had a mini tiara from either a previous visit or dance and put it in front of the bun. We also had some glitter from Libby Lu (I think) and sprinkled it on top of her head.

Here's how it turned out:
Kay1.jpg

Kay.jpg

We were waiting for the parade and fireworks and I was talking to another lady who had taken her little girl to the BBB and she couldn't believe that I did it on my own. Not that it was anywhere near perfect, but it turned out fine for as long as she keeps it up.
We have done the BBB twice and both times my daughter was dying to get it down. I'm sure the hairstyle from BBB would last for a couple days at least and still look good, however my daughter will not leave it up for more than a few hours at the most!!

Wow! You did a great job! I guess I need to start practicing! I bought a small crown from the Disney store to work with!:rotfl:

Immobile hair has become a specialty with two girls in ballet and cheer. I redo most their squad before games at this point :eek: You'll need sports gel, bobby pins and non-slip elastics. Also some multi-colored or silver glitter and a small metal tiara (or two). I do reccommend planning to do it yourself because at some point, even if you pay for BBB, a redo will be necessary.

For fine hair you will need to gel damp hair into a high ponytail and secure tightly with elastic (preferably non-slip). Then-
Option 1: When my daughter was young with very fine hair I would divide the ponytail in half, braid each half and then twist each to form one bun around the elastic securing with two bobby pins (using an x-shape) until bun was complete. This made the bun look MUCH fuller :wizard: Place tiara and sprinkle with glitter. Finish w/ hairspray.
Option 2: As you secure elastic around ponytail bring ponytail back through and make a small loopy bun. Finish wrapping w/elastic until tight. Braid or twist the leftover tail securing with pins while circling the small loopy bun. Place tiara and sprinkle w/glitter. Finish w/hairspray.

I found the coolest glitter stickers with Disney shapes for my girls cheeks a few years back. I wish I could remember where... ugh!

My daughter is also in ballet and we have to do the bun thing for all of her recitals. She wears her hair normally with bangs down in the front but for ballet it all has to be plastered back and then up in a bun. I found stuff called got 2 b glued. it is in a yellow tube. you can get it at walmart target, etc. there are different types of got 2b products so make sure you get the GLUED one. It holds the hair back and it does not move. That would definitely hold up your do it yourself BBB updo.

Immobile hair has become a specialty with two girls in ballet and cheer. I redo most their squad before games at this point :eek: You'll need sports gel, bobby pins and non-slip elastics. Also some multi-colored or silver glitter and a small metal tiara (or two). I do reccommend planning to do it yourself because at some point, even if you pay for BBB, a redo will be necessary.

For fine hair you will need to gel damp hair into a high ponytail and secure tightly with elastic (preferably non-slip). Then-
Option 1: When my daughter was young with very fine hair I would divide the ponytail in half, braid each half and then twist each to form one bun around the elastic securing with two bobby pins (using an x-shape) until bun was complete. This made the bun look MUCH fuller :wizard: Place tiara and sprinkle with glitter. Finish w/ hairspray.
Option 2: As you secure elastic around ponytail bring ponytail back through and make a small loopy bun. Finish wrapping w/elastic until tight. Braid or twist the leftover tail securing with pins while circling the small loopy bun. Place tiara and sprinkle w/glitter. Finish w/hairspray.

I found the coolest glitter stickers with Disney shapes for my girls cheeks a few years back. I wish I could remember where... ugh!

My daughter is also in ballet and we have to do the bun thing for all of her recitals. She wears her hair normally with bangs down in the front but for ballet it all has to be plastered back and then up in a bun. I found stuff called got 2 b glued. it is in a yellow tube. you can get it at walmart target, etc. there are different types of got 2b products so make sure you get the GLUED one. It holds the hair back and it does not move. That would definitely hold up your do it yourself BBB updo.

Another glued hair expert here. I am a recital veteran with both myself and dd, and I second the fact that a good gel is key. I like the Got to B Blued and Short Sexy Hard Head Gel. DD has long, straight, fine ahir and I put the hard head gel in while her hair is slightly damp, and use a fine tooth comb to slick it up into a high pony. I add more gwel tothe pony itself, and use clear rubber bands every inch or so to gather up all the flyaway pieces. I then roll it like they do at the BBB and fan the last section, securing with bobby pins along the way. For a recital bun I coat the pony with gel and then twist it very tightly and wrap around the elastic with the end of the pony on bottom. Once I have it wrapped I let it loose a little while spreading the top part out to cover the loose ends, using bobby pins to secure. This method only woks with long hair though. Hope this helps a little.

I think I've got the bun part down from ballet, but is there somewhere I can purchase one of the little tiaras like the ones at BBB (or similar)? We've only got the big ones from her princess costumes, and they tend to be so large that they slip off her head!:confused3

I think I've got the bun part down from ballet, but is there somewhere I can purchase one of the little tiaras like the ones at BBB (or similar)? We've only got the big ones from her princess costumes, and they tend to be so large that they slip off her head!:confused3

You can buy them at WDW. They have them all over the place, the resort shop and at DTD. I bought my DD's at Claire's in the mall. I have also seen them at Target.

Thanks for the tips. I have an appointment for my DD for BBB, but I am going to cancel it. I just can't see paying 55.00 for this when I can do this on my own. :thumbsup2

Thanks for the tips. I have an appointment for my DD for BBB, but I am going to cancel it. I just can't see paying 55.00 for this when I can do this on my own. :thumbsup2

You can also take her to the Main Street Barber Shop in MK & they will do something very similar for under $10. Best wishes!

You can also take her to the Main Street Barber Shop in MK & they will do something very similar for under $10. Best wishes!

The barber can only do glitter and "pixie" dust. They can't/won't do updos.

We have been offered free "pixie" dust several times at DTD by FGIT. (Boy that stuff does not come out LOL)

The Disney Stores carry them for approximately $4.50 each. They have them in Blue and Pink. My youngest DD has one of each and I will do her hair as well as her friend's hair.

Just so you know, we did BBB in May, DD12 and I (yes I did it too, it was MY bday after all LOL) took ours down at the end of the day, but DD9 left hers in for 3 days....LOL The day we had it done, the following day and then one more day. It would have lasted longer but I made her take it out on day 3 and wash her hair. I have very very fine hair, it always falls out of every "do" I have done....but not this time, this time it stayed all day with no problems at all! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter