Bay Lake Tower Questions

Capo

Mouseketeer
Hi Gang!

My family and I will be staying at Bay Lake Tower (renting points) for the first time early next year (yay!). While we're very excited, we do have a few questions we were hoping to get answered, since we've never stayed there before.

1) Where do you check-in for a BLT DVC reservation? In the BLT lobby or Contemporary lobby?

2) For the Top of the World lounge, can we get access to it since we are staying via a DVC reseveration? We're not owners.

3) We usually like to request a room close to the lobby, but I assume that really isn't an issue at BLT... or am I wrong? We have a Lake View room and I've heard that you should request a north tower, even-numbered room as high-up as you can get. Would you all agree with that suggestion or suggest something different to request (for a Lake View room)? We know requests are not guaranteed but we like to try!

4) We do have kids and enjoy a lot of the resort activities that some locations offer (such as AKL). What does BLT offer in this regard?

5) Are the boat rentals at the marina open during January or are they closed?

6) How busy does the monorail get (either going/coming from the MK or Epcot) at open and close time in January? We will usually walk to the MK I imagine but may be tired on the way back at night. What about Epcot? How long can the lines get during park open/close? Especially since you have to transfer at the transportation center? Is it still quicker than a bus?

7) Anyone have recent experience on the Contemporary/BLT bus system? Good, bad, ugly?

8) Did I read correctly that Disney has/is going to remove all ticket/reward like setups in the Disney game-rooms? If this has happened already, what is the Contemporary game room like now? Did they fill it with other games or just leave big holes where those other machines use to be?

9) How sound-proof is BLT? If your door/windows are shut tight, can you still hear the fireworks, MK train, boats, etc?

10) Lastly... anything else we should know or be aware of since we're new to BLT? We really want to make it memorable for the kids, so any special tips, tricks, or activities would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all!

Hi Gang!

My family and I will be staying at Bay Lake Tower (renting points) for the first time early next year (yay!). While we're very excited, we do have a few questions we were hoping to get answered, since we've never stayed there before.

1) Where do you check-in for a BLT DVC reservation? In the BLT lobby or Contemporary lobby?

2) For the Top of the World lounge, can we get access to it since we are staying via a DVC reseveration? We're not owners.

3) We usually like to request a room close to the lobby, but I assume that really isn't an issue at BLT... or am I wrong? We have a Lake View room and I've heard that you should request a north tower, even-numbered room as high-up as you can get. Would you all agree with that suggestion or suggest something different to request (for a Lake View room)? We know requests are not guaranteed but we like to try!

4) We do have kids and enjoy a lot of the resort activities that some locations offer (such as AKL). What does BLT offer in this regard?

5) Are the boat rentals at the marina open during January or are they closed?

6) How busy does the monorail get (either going/coming from the MK or Epcot) at open and close time in January? We will usually walk to the MK I imagine but may be tired on the way back at night. What about Epcot? How long can the lines get during park open/close? Especially since you have to transfer at the transportation center? Is it still quicker than a bus?

7) Anyone have recent experience on the Contemporary/BLT bus system? Good, bad, ugly?

8) Did I read correctly that Disney has/is going to remove all ticket/reward like setups in the Disney game-rooms? If this has happened already, what is the Contemporary game room like now? Did they fill it with other games or just leave big holes where those other machines use to be?

9) How sound-proof is BLT? If your door/windows are shut tight, can you still hear the fireworks, MK train, boats, etc?

10) Lastly... anything else we should know or be aware of since we're new to BLT? We really want to make it memorable for the kids, so any special tips, tricks, or activities would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all!

1. If arriving between 7Am and 10PM you will check in at the BLT Lobby. If outside of those hours, you will check in at the Contemporary Lobby.

2. No you cant.

3. You might want to check out post #13 in the CR/BLR FAQ Thread http://www.disboards.com/threads/di...nformation-thread-2015.3248210/#post-50933750

4. Here's a link to the June Activities Calendar to give you an idea of what they offer http://www.themouseforless.com/tripplanning/resorts/wdw/pdf/BLTCalendar.pdf

5. Yes they are.

6. During park open and close it is a mob scene. One of the advantages of BLT is being able to walk to and from MK. Huge bonus to having to fight the masses to the buses, monorail and boats.

7. There is no individual resort bus system, it is a WDW wide system. I have found no differences in bus service no matter where we have stayed.

8. I do not know the answer to this. I had not heard that.

9. My parents have stayed at BLT and have said that without the windows/sliding doors open, they could only hear the fireworks. But it was very muffled with everything closed up. They could not hear anything else.

10. Your best bet would be to read the first 2 pages of the CR/BLT FAQ Thread. Tons of great information. http://www.disboards.com/threads/di...y-lake-tower-information-thread-2015.3248210/

Dansdad did a great job of answering your questions. The only comment I'll add is that I do disagree with the answer to #9. We were in a 1 bedroom LV on the 4th floor and were jarred awake every night by the electrical water pageant. It is SO LOUD, much louder than the fireworks. We had young kids who went to bed early and so it was a big issue for us. With two adults, it probably won't be an issue, but wanted to mention it in case you go to bed early. Fortunately, other than the EWP, the only other issue we had with that stay was that BLT does not have privacy sheers (or at least didn't when we stayed there in 2012). So your choices are (1) keep curtains closed and have privacy but no natural light; or (2) keep curtains open and show the world what you're made of! :smooth:

We also thought the room was not soundproof. We were on the seventh floor inside the C and the noise from the pool parties was annoying. We also heard the water parade every night and the sound of the fireworks at the MK echoed off the building.

To go up to the TOTWL, you must be a DVC member staying on Disney property. The member must show his/her member card to access the lounge. If you are renting, you will not be able to go up there. You can watch the fireworks from the 4th floor viewing area at the Contemporary.

The arcades no longer give tickets. I think they only play games without rewards.

The only comment I'll add is that I do disagree with the answer to #9. We were in a 1 bedroom LV on the 4th floor and were jarred awake every night by the electrical water pageant. It is SO LOUD, much louder than the fireworks. We had young kids who went to bed early and so it was a big issue for us. With two adults, it probably won't be an issue, but wanted to mention it in case you go to bed early.

We also thought the room was not soundproof. We were on the seventh floor inside the C and the noise from the pool parties was annoying. We also heard the water parade every night and the sound of the fireworks at the MK echoed off the building.

Well apparently my parents must have already taken the hearing aids out for the night on the two nights they were in their room for the EWP and the fireworks. :rotfl2: Thanks for the correction.

Well apparently my parents must have already taken the hearing aids out for the night on the two nights they were in their room for the EWP and the fireworks. :rotfl2: Thanks for the correction.

LOL! Taking out hearing aids would definitely help with the EWP noise!

We also rented points to stay at BLT so couldn't go to the TOTWL. My preferred spot to watch Wishes on that trip was not on the 4th floor of the Contemporary, but rather from one of the external stairways at the Contemporary. I think I took the elevator up to the 8th floor, walked to the end of the hallway, and then let myself out onto the deck out there. I didn't allow the door to close all the way so I could get back in...otherwise, you just have to go down to the ground to get back into the building (the doors latch and lock when closed). The external stairway was nice because we were there all alone, and the view was better since we didn't have anyone standing in front of us.

Thanks all! Does the contemporary fourth floor viewing area have the music piped in? Or, is there another good viewing spot where you can hear the music and narration?

We haven't stayed yet (will be staying at BLT in Nov), but when we were at WDW in May we ended up needing to get from MK to DTD. A CM told us to take the monorail to the Cont. and catch a bus to DTD from there. We waited at least 30 minutes for the bus from Cont to DTD. Now, it was midday (lunchtime), so I assume it's not a busy route at that time. I was happy though that they had benches. We were staying at POP and they don't have benches when waiting for buses. Cont does, so that was nice.

I always thought that if you are using DME that check-in was at the Contemporary. At least it was the one time I used DME. It is a relatively short walk to BLT from Contemporary so no really issues if it is at either. If you drive it is definitely at BLT.

The North Tower even numbered rooms I believe are on the outside of the "C" but very limited. There are also some on the "south" side on the outside of the "C" and those face the Contemporary. I think there is only one studio on each floor on that side (if you are renting a studio). Otherwise the other lake view rooms will be on the inside.

I will repeat what other posters have said about the inside LV rooms, the electric water parade is VERY VERY loud. Heard it every single night and it seems that BLT is the last stop so it doesn't show up until late, late at night. Noise seemed to get worse the higher up you are, too. That being said, the resort is otherwise pretty quiet. You won't generally hear overhead noises as the floors are concrete, not the typical sticks and bricks construction.

The 4th floor Contemporary viewing area does pipe in the music and I also believe that each of the elevator lobby areas (on each floor of BLT) pipes in the music as well.

I think location-wise being close to the Contemporary bridge is a nice location...this is the "south" side. The elevator takes you directly to the access point. The North side elevator is on the opposite side and you have to walk through BLT to get to the bridge. Not a big deal but it is not as convenient.

Thanks for the info. We'll be in a 1 bedroom for this trip. The main reason I was thinking of doing a north facing room (assuming I get it) is that it looks like it's basically a MK view, but listed as a lake-view (let me know if I'm wrong here). While I know requests are just that... requests... what would you suggest for a second option if that isn't available?

Do you think the south-side tower, facing the contemporary, is better than an inside lake-view room? While subjective I'm sure, is the view of the contemporary or a head-on view of the lake a better view? Did I read correctly that the inside tower rooms are a bit smaller too? If so, by how many SQFT? Can you actually notice?

Also, if the electrical water parade is very loud, that could be of concern since we have small kids who will be in bed by 9 many (but not all) nights. Do you happen to know what time it comes rolling by BLT in January? I know most things run a bit earlier in January, but I'm not sure what time it would get to BLT if it is the last stop.

Anyways, thanks for putting up with all of my questions! :)

. . . 8) Did I read correctly that Disney has/is going to remove all ticket/reward like setups in the Disney game-rooms? If this has happened already, what is the Contemporary game room like now? Did they fill it with other games or just leave big holes where those other machines use to be?

1) Correct.
2) It can be considered allowing kiddies to gamble.
3) The Florida crackdown isn't just at WDW.
4) The gambling/reward games are simply being replaced.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter