• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Bay Lake Tower: Access to Fireworks

Avandrie

Earning My Ears
My first ever post (forgive me for the length):

Our family booked BLT through RCI timeshares. RCI has passed us over to DVC for further reservations (Magical Express) and reservation confirmations. DVC has been great, but I am questioning an answer I was given by one of the reps.

I asked: since our reservation has apparently been moved to go through DVC, will BLT see us as DVC members and allow us access to the top of the resort so we can see the fireworks?

Their answer: Yes, but they allow everyone up there.

I didn't tell her she was wrong - that only DVC members are allowed up there, but I'm so hoping that the first part of her answer is right.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Thank you!! :worship:

I was there in October, at BLT. I talked to other people staying there and they were allowed up because they stayed there.

Hope this helps.

During our stay in september they wanted blue DVC cards for access. We are DVC members so no big deal for us but I did see them turn cash paying customers away who were quite upset. I am sure like many things WDW it depends who is working that day but the official policy is that it is open to DVC members only who are staying on points at BLT (although they had it open for several months to all DVC members staying on points at any DVC resort, don't know if they are still doing that or not).

The Top of the World is reserved for DVC members staying on property. As exchangers from RCI you won't have the necessary DVC member card to show in order to get up there.

Thanks all for taking a moment to answer my question.

This might sound a little sneaky, but let me ask this... I read somewhere that a non-DVC member was assigned a room on the top floor - by being on the top floor, this allowed them direct access to the DVC member only areas.

Does this sound like a possibility?

I suppose where I'm going with this (and I agree with one responder - it probably varies per staff member), if we try and slip a $50 or something a little more, do you think it would get us anywhere? We're not above monetary incentives and Jedi mind tricks. :yoda:

We traded into BLT via RCI in July 2012. Our room key had DVC printed on it. We showed that to the person at the desk who controlled access to the elevator that goes to the TOTW lounge and he told us we were good to go. We went three times during our stay. Not sure if anything has changed since then, but this was our experience.

We traded into BLT via RCI in July 2012. Our room key had DVC printed on it. We showed that to the person at the desk who controlled access to the elevator that goes to the TOTW lounge and he told us we were good to go. We went three times during our stay. Not sure if anything has changed since then, but this was our experience.

I stayed at BLT in January 2013 on my DVC points. My key said "DVC Room." I had to show my blue DVC card to gain access to the lounge. The CM really scrutinized both my room key and DVC card. I wasn't sure he was going to let me go up there. ;)

This might sound a little sneaky, but let me ask this... I read somewhere that a non-DVC member was assigned a room on the top floor - by being on the top floor, this allowed them direct access to the DVC member only areas.

I suppose where I'm going with this (and I agree with one responder - it probably varies per staff member), if we try and slip a $50 or something a little more, do you think it would get us anywhere? We're not above monetary incentives and Jedi mind tricks. :yoda:

It's not worth slipping the money (and potentially embarrassing yourself) to view the fireworks. Go over to the CR and watch. We stayed on the 16th floor. If so, yes, you have access. The first time we thought we had to go down to the lobby to gain access and then found out we could walk straight in. The cm told us only DVC members are supposed to be assigned the 16th floor. I suppose mistakes have and will be made. You could always request it.

Ooh! One last question (sorry - I feel like a kid):

Is there a thread or website that shows BLT balcony views and their associated room numbers? Then that way maybe I can ask if a specific room might be available.

Seriously, I'm trying desperately not to drive you all crazy! :crazy:

Thank you again all for taking a moment to answer. I think these are great answers, and gives me an idea of what to expect.

There is a thread under DVC resorts section. Your view depends on what you booked into, standard view, lake view, or theme park view. Most of the rooms are lake view with the majority of those being in the inner "c" section. Almost everybody who books lake view or theme park view asks for the same thing, high floor.

... Almost everybody who books lake view or theme park view asks for the same thing, high floor.

Doh! :headache: Where's the herd of cows icon when you need it?! This was exactly what I requested. Rats.

So reservation check ins - those are taken 14 days prior to arrival, right? I'll be at the ready first thing in the morning trying to get that call in. :surfweb:

Doh! :headache: Where's the herd of cows icon when you need it?! This was exactly what I requested. Rats.

So reservation check ins - those are taken 14 days prior to arrival, right? I'll be at the ready first thing in the morning trying to get that call in. :surfweb:

You can call in a request at the time of reservation or any time after that. Nothing special happens at 14 days prior to arrival. There is an online check-in process that I believe is now available 60 days prior to arrival, but you likely won't be able to add a request during that process. it's best to call.

BTW, it doesn't really matter when you call - requests are not prioritized by the date when they're added.

Slipping a CM money really isn't a 'thing' at Disney resorts. In fact, a front desk CM would risk termination by taking money to assign you a room that's supposed to be reserved for members, and I don't think you'll find many, if any, that will be willing to do that. I know it's done quite frequently at some vacation spots like Vegas, but Disney resorts are a whole 'nother world.

Seeing the fireworks from the lounge is nice enough, but it's certainly not worth bribing a CM. You can get a good view from the 4th floor viewing platform in the CR tower, or you can take the monorail over to the Poly beach or the GF marina.

Lynne M, thank you kindly for your responses - humbly noted.

I've never been to Vegas, but I suspect tipping hotel staff (no matter their position) is universally appreciated. :angel:

I certainly don't want to be viewed as an evil queen - and yes, I'm kind of poking (good) fun, but if I have a poisoned apple, I certainly won't force innocent Snow to eat it. I'll leave that temptation and what she wants to do with it, purely up to her.

On a serious note, I have read on many sites that one of the largest complaints is BLT staff being known for their less than friendly demeanor compared to their sister Disney resort properties. I'm going in with a ..catch more flies with honey than vinegar.. approach. And if they cannot accept the poisoned apple, well then - no harm, no foul, and certainly no embarrassment. At least I tried.

Thank you all again for your help! :thumbsup2

((Random side note: All I can keep thinking about is that scene in Enchanted where Pip is acting out the poisoned apple for Giselle and Eric :duck:))

OP I'm accustomed to employing the $20 sandwich when checking into hotels in vegas and elsewhere but it's been reported that if desk personnel accepts a tip they will be fired. There are always supervisors in the immediate area when we check in to a disney property. It's not worth the effort imo.

You'll check in at BLT tower's desk. The last time i stayed @ BLT check-in was still at CR. Their staff is polished and efficient with same level of pixie dust you find anywhere onsite. We always spend a portion of our time at CR when staying @ BLT and we have always felt welcome'd home by the personnel staffing the BLT desk:goodvibes

To avoid disappointment, suggest you take a look at your reservation to determine what category you have exchanged into and don't expect to receive a room outside it's parameters. Be aware that random upgrades are very rare when staying in a DVC unit.

I'm always good for a trip report - I promise to try and remember to update everyone on the thread on our experience! :flower3:

...early May I hope to have it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter