Bartering

We usually pay full price on the small things we get like T-shirts, small local crafts, inexpensive momentos, etc. because we feel so fortunate comparing ourselves to the locals that we just don't have the heart to bargain with them. A few dollars mean almost nothing to us, but a whole lot to them...

The one time we did bargain was for a Lladro piece in St. Thomas several years ago. We knew the price in the US, so we were able to comparison shop between a few stores and leveraged one against another.

In general, it's very important that you have a mind set that it's not a battle of wills nor a demonstration of skills. Your goal should be to buy something for a good price, which means you should have sufficient knowledge of what is a good (and fair) price for the item you want to buy. So, do some homework before going. Then, when you get there, be mentally (and emotionally) prepared to walk away without buying anything unless the price drops to the level you think is good (and fair).

My husband and I have used this tactic before.

At International Marketplace in Honolulu, negotiation is expected. Therefore I would be all "Honey, I really want this" and DH would answer "No, it is too expensive". Watch the price come down then! Worked great for us.

Originally posted by Buckaroo's Dad
Sure. Just send me $20 and I'll tell ya how...

BD,

The check is in the mail!!!

Andy

It seamed the the farther from the dock you got the more willing people are to negotiate.

They know what time the ships leave so shop later in the day. hey become much more interested in dealing when they know you and your money are leaving the island. Also know what you are going for is REALLY worth-especially in jewelry. You can get fantastic deals but if you don't know what you are buying you can also get taken

Originally posted by FlatcoatLuver
BD

Would you do it for $10? ;)

I hope he will, I just sent him a check for $9.95, just stand clear if he goes to cash it, it will bounce all over the place, LOL!!!

Andy

Hi FlatcoatLuver.

Would you do it for $10?

For you, absolutely. Do what?

Andy!

I just sent him a check for $9.95, just stand clear if he goes to cash it, it will bounce all over the place

Your $9.95 check did bounce. MAN, did it bounce! Please be advised of the following:

Bank property damaged: $27,486.12.

Bank customer Hazel Kkratchettt's broken glasses: $396.69. (Of course).

Shrimp truck repairs when check bounced through the bank's front window: $743.05.

Local plumbing repairs from scaring the s*** out of people: priceless...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter