Barter Dollars for points

rccomputers

Mouseketeer
I was offered an opportunity today and I wanted to get everyone’s opinion. I will keep it non-descript because I want honest opinions and I don’t want people to think this is spam of some sort.

I was talking to a friend of mine about DVC and how the DIS board has this section for swapping and selling points. He owns a barter exchange company. This is what he proposed. He would purchase my points from me at the published rack rate for the room that I reserved for him in barter dollars. So for example, a two bedroom from Disney’s room rates is about 600.00 per night. He would pay 4200.00 for a one week stay.
These 4200.00 barter dollars would then be put in a barter bank account to use for any other services and products that the barter company has available. Right now this includes other vacations, restaurants, accountants etc. The list goes on and on.

My points or the week’s worth of them would be used to book a vacation for another member of the barter company. The barter company gets a fee of 6% for the sale of the vacation to the other member. It would only cost me 6% when I purchased the goods or services from the other members of the barter company.

It sounded like a good deal to me because, instead of getting $10.00 a point or about 3000.00 for a week, I would get 4200.00. He then mentioned that he would pay anyone the rack rate for the points.

Is this something I should be interested in? Would anyone else be interested in it?

But, the published rack rates vary by season. How would he take this into consideration? Also, you're assuming that the "rack rate" won't decrease during that time frame. If this economic slowdown continues, Dis may lower its rates and effectively lower the value of your "barter" dollars. And what about inflation or deflation?

You may be right about receiving more than $10/point but I would be leary of such an arrangement, even if it is your friend. If things continue to be slow in the economy, you know you have enough points to vacation SOMEWHERE through the Dis collection even if it means hitting the resort and not the parks.

Dad always said a bird in the hand was worth two in the bush. It's taken me a while, but he's looking smarter to me every day.

If you really want someone to give you the full picture, I'm sure Dean (check out the DVC Vacation forum) will be able to give it to you.

DON"T DO IT!!!!! My experience with barter programs has been nothing short of a disaster. You end up trading your DVC points which have value for, essentially, a pig in a poke. Regardless of how large the network appears on the surface, very few of the participants actually want to trade for those barter dollars you have accepted for your points. Mostly, they are looking to dump the barter dollars they have accumulated not aquiring more. I have tried at least two barter companies over the past years in my business and all I have to show for it are worthless barter dollars in bankrupt barter companies. If you end up going along with the scam, let me know. I will be glad to dump my worthless barter bucks on you for those great DVC points........

First, a reply to FKJ2...

I discussed the varying rates with him and he said he would pay the published rate for the room on the nights it was reserved. If Disney dropped the rate, I would get the lower rate.

Second to Gary K. D.

Thanks for your opinion. I would only give him my points if I was not going to use them. just like people sell them for 10 each. He would not get them that year if I was going to use them.

Which barter companies did you belong to ??

TradeCard International was one and Barter Network was the other...I think there was one more but I can remember it now

I have had mixed reviews of barter companies. My company is too small to benefit from the exchange. I think both of you are right and I would have to get something pretty good in return to consider "trading" my points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter