BART and MUNI?? Confused??

weslovesauntmeg

Mouseketeer
I'm planning a trip to SF with my best friend, so it's only two of us, in August and won't have my own transportation. I've read up on the public transportation..but I'm am still confused. I know the BART is like the subway..but what is the MUNI?? And which would you recommend more to use..If you have any info in previous trips with transportation it would be most helpful..Thanks again!!

Muni is the bus system. You would probably use Muni more as, at least to me, Bart is more a way to get into the city (such as from the airport) than to get around the city. We just usually walk where we want to go or hop a cab if its too far (or late). HTH

Meg, you'll probably want to get a MUNI pass for the time you're here. That way you can use the trolley system and the buses. BART is really only good for locations along Market St. Anywhere else, you'll need to take a cable car or a bus.

Here's the link:

http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mfares/passports.htm

BART is like a subway, but most of it is above ground (except when you go under the SF Bay). I think it's a good way to get around large distances in the Bay Area.

BART is a good way to take you from other parts of the Bay Area into the City itself, however, once in SF, you will need other transportation, cabs, cable cars or busses - the bus system in SF is called the Muni.

Public transportation is really the way to go bc it's a bit scary driving downtown if you are not familiar, plus parking is way expensive.

Have a great time. Have some Ghirardelli ice cream for me.

Basically BART is how one gets to and from the airport, and Muni is what you use to get around in the city. If you need to get to some outlying areas then you would use BART, but from the sounds of it, you only will be in the city for a few days (3). The 3 day Muni pass will handle your transportation needs in the city. I would buy my BART pass on the internet, but the 3 day Muni pass includes a hefty postage cost, so I wait til we get there. The Omni sells them at the front desk, but the Tourist office at Powell and Market sells them also.

Thanks all for the info..I talked to my friend and since we are only going for 3 days it would prob be best to get the MUNI since we are really only going to all the tourist attractions. Anyone know the best way to get to and from the SFO Airport? I'm thinking taxi is the best and quickest way since we will be arriving lat monday morning. I heard the shuttle can take a long time and since we'll be there only a short time..taxi would prob be best. Thanks again for all your help..I can't wait to go! :)

You must have skipped over the previous posts. BART runs about $4.00 each way into the city. Much cheaper than taxi or shuttles. Depending which hotel you are staying at, either a short walk or taxi ride. BART is definitely the preferred way into the city, if you have managable luggage. It's your money though, but we prefer BART. I'm guessing a taxi would be $40 each way.

I am reading all of this with much interest as I will be in San Fran in June for about the same amount of time and having never been there, know nothing. Our flight arrives around 9:30 pm. Is Bart save to ride at that time of night? We will be staying at the Fairmont. Would Bart be somewhere in the vicinity of the Fairmont? Thanks for everyone's help.:confused3

Someone else would have to answer the safety part, but as far as taking BART into the city and then to the Fairmont, get off at the Embarcadero and take a cab. The Embarcadero stop is just across from the Hyatt, and plenty of cabs are hanging around. The route would just be straight up California to the Fairmont. Maybe $5 to $7.

I am reading all of this with much interest as I will be in San Fran in June for about the same amount of time and having never been there, know nothing. Our flight arrives around 9:30 pm. Is Bart save to ride at that time of night? We will be staying at the Fairmont. Would Bart be somewhere in the vicinity of the Fairmont? Thanks for everyone's help.:confused3

I wouldn't worry about BART at that time of night--it'll be fine. As the previous poster said, you could get off at Embarcadero (it's the stop after Montgomery) and take a cab, or the California St. cable car, if it's running when you get there. The BART stop at Union Square is actually closer to the hotel, but also a bit dicier at night (not bad, but as newbies you might want to avoid it till you get your bearings...) and not as many cabs readily available.

Since you're staying at the Fairmont, don't miss spending an evening in the Tonga Room located in the lower level there. It's a really fun tiki bar.

AND make sure you're in good shape, as you'll be doing a good deal of uphill walking (there's no other way to get to your hotel on foot, except straight UP, since it's at the top of Nob Hill!!!)

you can get the bart scheduals on-line and if you have a later flight you probably want to see how late it runs the night you arrive (it's not a 24/7 service). also keep in mind depending how busy sfo is when you arrive it can take some time to get your luggage.

honestly, the fairmont contracts with a shuttle company that charges $24 round trip to sfo-it's door to door and they schlep the luggage in and out of the one vehical you'de have to get on. with bart and a taxi you're looking at just shy of $11 round trip on bart and the taxi say $8 with tip two ways so for one person splitting the cost-$8. for only a $5 difference i'de go with the shuttle. a schedualed shuttle (not like super shuttle where you're waiting curbside until they come by again) can get you to your hotel alot faster than doing bart combo'd with a cab.

Check out 511.org

A good source of information on how to get around in the Bay area.

Lots of freeway and transit info including rail and ferries.

Not to confuse anyone further, but MUNI runs underground in parts of the city. I.E. we used to catch from my mil's in the Forest Hills section and it was like catching an underground train. :hippie:

Not to confuse anyone further, but MUNI runs underground in parts of the city. I.E. we used to catch from my mil's in the Forest Hills section and it was like catching an underground train. :hippie:

Yep! That can be confusing to visitors if you don't warn them ahead of time. There are some stations that have a level of BART running *below* a level of MUNI. They have separate gates so it is hard to take the wrong one, but it can be baffling at first glance.

The first time I went to SF, I was confused too, especially since you have both BART & Muni trains sharing the same station along Market.

As many have stated, use Bart to get into downtown. Once there, use Muni get around. Bart is considered "heavy rail"--longer trains (usually about 8) and each train is very spacious. While Muni has buses and "light rail" trains--shorter trains (usually 2 to 3 cars).

A tip: If there's a place you want to visit that is served by both the Muni buses & Muni light rail trains, always choose the train. I find them faster since you don't have to deal with street traffic and them come more frequently.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter