• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Barnstormer or No Barnstormer..

DS wasn't tall enough to ride when we went in October. But, he's now 35 inches so we will be riding it on our next trip.

I figure it's such a short ride that it'll be over quickly if he does have a "bad reaction" to it. ;)

Funny story...

When I was 8 I went on it and it scared me to death. I ride Space Mountain, TOT, BTMRR, Splash, all of them now, but I still refuse to ride Barnstormer.

Anyways, I say wait a while. 21 months is pretty young.

DS went on it at ~ 28 months. I wouldn't have taken him on it, but DH thought it looked like fun. DS is fairly small, and I kept thinking in the back of my head that he wasn't going to pass the height restriction. Nope. Got on no problem. And loved it. Kept wanting to go ride the train AGAIN!. If your little one is adventurous, they'll probably love it.

My 5 year old son loved the ride. He rode it two times in a row up front both times. It does go faster then it looks. Its a fun ride for the little ones, but 21 months old is still too early to ride

My grand daughter rode it in August (she was tall enough). She was 2 1/2. She didn't love it and didn't hate it. She just wasn't sure about it. She's going with us in May, so will see how she does again. She turns 3 in March. However, she does hate the characters (nothing like big brother who loved them at 22 months and still does at 14 years old -- just doesn't let on now).

My son was three and met the height requirements. He was so excited. We had watched a clip of it and he knew it would be his first roller coaster. He loved it! We rode it several times.
He also rode BTMR once. He got off and said he liked it but when we asked him if he wanted to ride it again he said no! If you do go on Barnstormer hang on to her. It was pretty fast but it was also very jerky.
The only ride he said he'll never ride again is Splash Mountain - not because of the big drop - that was a piece of cake it was all of the animals and what he called the "cweepy song". The poor little guy they were freaking him out already and then our car stopped and all of the cars behind us started bumping into us. We were stuck for maybe 10-15 minutes and the music just kept going and going. I had to hold on so tight just to keep him beside me - I'm not sure where he thought he was going to go but he wanted out of there!:rotfl:

Barnstormer is actually the "fastest" roller coaster at the MK. It has at least one turn with 3 G's of force, and the strongest turn in Space Mountain is 2 G's. While your child may enjoy it, at that age they are still developing and there may be a chance that your child could be injured internally. Your best bet is to ask your doctor and see what they think. :thumbsup2

My DD will be 29 months at the time and is more than tall enough for it; I asked our ped and he said it was up to me what I felt best. I have only been on it one time with my ODS and I remember it was pretty fast and I felt the need to hold on to him. DH and I talked about taking DD on it and we have decided to show it to her and watch her reaction

I would not do it. My son was 4 when he first rode it and I couldn't believe how jerky and fast it was. Everyone had told me that we should do barnstormer first, then work up to big thunder. I didn't agree after riding it. He loved BTMRR, but was pretty scared on barnstormer. It's fast.

Angie

I wouldn't take a child that age on the Barnstormer. It's not because it's fast...it's just really jerky. Maybe its worse for adults than kids...we love to ride Big Thunder over and over but I won't go on Barnstormer more than once. The track is so tight that you get whipped around a bit.

Our son was 3 (just turned) wen we rode it for the first time. He loved it but it does move pretty quick. I guess it is a matter of how you think your child will handle it. I cant go a trip without it though...it is one of my fac coasters even if it is short.

We didn't take Ds when he was 24 months. Dh wanted to but, I said no. He will ride it this year when he is 3. I just think it is a bit much for their little necks and brains to be rattling around like that.

I just had to add my kids say its not jerky at all and probably because it was made for children so the gravity forces are at there level.

I say see how your kid feels.
If she wants to, hold on to her. If she doesn't, that's fine...

I'd say wait awhile. I just took my DD5 and DS 6 on it, and they liked it but it did take their breath away, like someone else said. I had never ridden it before, and it is every bit a rollercoaster - fast and windy.

DS rode it for the first timeJune, 2006, at 22 months and loved it. he also rode the Trailblazer at Hersheypark all last summer and loved that too. We are really hoping that he hits the 40inch mark before September so that he can ride BTMRR!

It's all about how your little one is with rides. My son loves rides!

My position on this issue is...just because a child is physically "tall" enough to ride something does NOT mean they are "big" enough. We did not let our DD's ride this until they were both over 4. Even though they were both "tall" enough well before they were 2. DH is 6'5" so we have tall girls. Please keep this in mind when you are making this decision. You would not want to scare her from ever riding another ride again. They have their whole lives ahead of them to experience these things. JMHO!:)

I took my 2 year DS on it this past November. He loved it! And wanted to go on it again. I personally don't think it that fast compared to others. You know your child best. Let her watch it and see if she is comfortable going on. Also, if you have to wait on line she'll let you know if she if she's nervous or can't wait to go on. I think taking them on at an early age their fear hasn't set in yet, waiting a couple of years they will have that fear.

My 2 1/2 year old DD loved Barnstormer. I held onto her tight, but she thought it was just great -- the people screaming was her favorite part :rotfl: But then again, she loved of the rides that we went on, including HM.

I just took my big 5 year old on this for thr first time in Jan. and it was really much faster than I thought it was going to be...he was fine until the first turn and you could see his face change...he says he thought he was going to fall out!! You know your child best though!! The only bummer is that he know it was a "roller coaster" so now he calims he is never going on another one again!!

Yeah, same with my two daughters. We went on it our first night after 1100 miles of driving, and it was around their usual bedtime, AND the loud fireworks were going off (could I have done any more to traumatize my children, I wonder). They didn't like it, I didn't like it, and DH didn't like it. My 7 year old actually got a bad crick in her neck from it that didn't let up for a couple of days. It's very fast and very snappy.

It wasn't until our last night there that my 7 year old got up the nerve to try another rollercoaster (Primeval Whirl, which she loved), and that was after several rounds of Dinosaur to help work up her nerve. My younger daughter, who was really excited about Splash Mountain and Expedition Everest, refused to go on ANY more thrill rides after Barnstormer. :sad1:

We even got right up to Splash Mountain, stepped into the car, and stepped right back out again. :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter