Bariatric Surgery

Yes, it all comes down to eating less but this is often easier said than done. I am lucky, other than 5-10 lbs here and there I have never struggled with weight. However, being a physician, I have MANY patients who do. They all know they eat too much (even if they don't admit it) and they have all dieted and mostly failed. Surgery now is VERY safe for ALL ages from teens to elderly. It is also, hands down, THE most effective weight loss solution out there and the one with the best LONG TERM weight loss results. Do people gain weight back, yes. Do some have complications, yes. But being 100+ pounds overweight also carries horror stories most significantly diabetes. Gastric bypass CURES this even if the patient is still overweight.

I too used to think they just needed to eat less and try harder, surgery was too risky, but the data out now shows that it is almost a disservice to NOT discuss this weight loss option with patients.

Thanks for posting here. There is such a stigma associated with WLS. Especially gastric bypass.

Roux-en-y. 80 pounds down. Went from 6 meds to one.
Was it/is it easy? No.
Was it worth it? Oh yes.

If you've tried everything... and I do mean everything..... this is definitely a great tool in regaining good health! :thumbsup2

I had gastric bypass a few years ago, I am mostly happy with the outcome of my procedure. I lost over 100lbs and my type II diabetes went into remission. the only problem I have had was that the connection from my pouch to my intestine became enlarged and now allows food to pass too rapidly into my intestines, which causes severe stomach cramps at the most inconvenient time. my surgeon is thinking a revision may be in my future.

I had the gastric bypass in Dec. 2010. Just to update, I have lost 65 pounds since surgery and 115 since my highest weight. It has not been easy. But my success keeps me working at it every day.

Just want to toss in a small observation. You can manage your eating, but get active! Put on muscle and don't be afraid of the gym. Muscle burns calories and lifting weights is a great way to feel healthy, get stronger and lose weight. Lots of people think they will get "big" lifting, but trust me it won't happen unless you are lifting to get big. Keep the weight low and the reps high!

Great point. I'd also recommend picking up a body fat monitoring scale. It is more convenient than calipers. Muscle takes up less space than fat. This is an extreme example, but a person at 200 lbs and 25% body fat carrys the weight differently than someone at 200 lbs and 10% body fat. They both weigh the same on the scale, but one has 30 lbs more lean body mass vs the extra 30 lbs of fat.

Congratulations to the OP, and keep up the great work.

Just realized this post started in 2010. I hope everyone is continuing to work toward their goals.

I had forgotten about this thread. But I continued with my investigation with the gastric sleeve and after many months of testing, psych evals, counseling, and support groups, I have a surgery date of August 2.
I am not nervous about the actual procedure, funny enough. I am nervous about how much my life will change and how I will cope. I fear I'll still fail somehow.
I start my liquid pre-op diet on July 10. I have weaned myself off of soda and fast food, but still am eating much too much food to satisfy my ginormous stomach.
My aunt had the Rouen en Y about 16 months ago and she is so happy. She went from a size 22 to a size 6 and is off many previously necessary meds.

I was thinking today that my face could conceivable change beyond recognition (been overweight for 36 years) and I have really no idea what my fashion style is, since I have always had to make do with whatever fit and maybe flattered my bulges.
This is the hardest thing I have ever done.

Did the OP ever come back and give an update? I would like to hear how she did. I remember this thread from last year. I, too, was 100 pounds over weight and had tried every diet available. Twice I had lost significant weight but put it all back on plus more. Those who say "Just eat less and exercise" just don't understand that doesn't work for everyone. I had tried to be covered by my insurance for the lapband 3 years ago but was turned down.

I have been a diabetic for 10 years. In December my doctor recommended I go on insulin. I really didn't want to do this so once again attended a Bariatric surgery overview. I had heard from a co-worker that some of the insurance laws had changed and I might be covered now.

My bariatric surgeon recommended a sleeve gastrectromy over both the lapband and gastric bypass. I had the surgery in April, 2011 with ZERO complications. I have lost 52 pounds to date, more than halfway to my goal. I eat about 600-700 calories per day most of which is protein. I am off all diabetes medication and most of my high blood pressure meds. I am exercising regularly and have tons of energy.

What I would like to ask is that those of you who feel compelled to repeat horror stories of those you know who have had serious complications to reconsider. Weight loss surgery is a serious and drastic step. Rather than trying to talk them out of it, ask them if they have done their homework. Have they tried all other options and believe this is the best next step for them? If they have, please don't share your negative stories. It doesn't help.

All surgery has risks. However, I know that without the surgery I would have been facing serious diabeties complications within a few short years. I know that 100%. I also know that I had tried everything to lose the weight and keep it off. My primary care doctor told me that the odds of keeping off significant weight for those with diabeties is 3% without surgery. I realize I have to change my eating habits permanently and the sleeve is a great tool to help me do that. I have NO HUNGER. Those without weight issues have no idea what a relief that is!

I have a good friend who told me sometime after my surgery that she had considered trying to talk me out of it. She had another friend who had a bad experience and now lives in a nursing home. She said she realized that I had investigated the options and had made the decision that I felt was right for me so she kept her mouth shut. I am very grateful that she did.

Sorry this ended up so long! I sincerely hope everyone who has a weight problem finds a way to solve it.

Donna

Donna,
Congratulations! Sounds like you could be a poster child for bariatric compliance. Nice to hear such success stories. I hope I am one of the 95% of the patients who have no hunger afterwards.
I am working on drinking my water and cut my soda intake down from 60-80 oz a day, to less than 5 oz. By August 2 I will be at zero ounces. Fast food is alomst completely eliminated as well. Adn I'm am exercising 5 days a week, which is a huge improvement. I can't wait until I can move more easily and have energy.

December 1, 2010 I made the decision to change my lifestyle. Since then I have lost 86 pounds by eating smart and exercise. Just goes to show that if I can do it, anyone can do it if you put your mind to it! Best wishes on your surgery!

I had gastric bypass surgery Feb 23 I was 327 when I started 295 the day of surgery and 237 this am. I had no complications and this has been so helpful. It is still a lot of work, but it puts me in a place where I can succeed I highly recommend it

I had gastric bypass at the end of december. I have lost 65 pounds since surgery and have 30 more to go. I haven't had any major problems.

It is a big change in lifestyle and you have to work at it. It is not a magic bullet. I spent many years thinking that if I just had enough will power, I could lose the weight, but I couldn't make a success of it long term. I now have the tool I need to be as healthy as I can be.

I wish everyone success with their journey.

Way back around 1990 I met a guy who was huge. When I first met him in the summer he was sitting on a set of chairs formed into a bench. He took up two chairs. By the end of the year he had lost 180 pounds. :thumbsup2 Which was as much as I weighed. He had lost ME in weight. :scared1:

He still needed to loose a few more pounds but he was obviously well on his way. He did this by exercise and eating less.

A few years ago a coworker had a lap band "installed." :lmao: He spent months loosing weight before the surgery, having tests, psych exams, etc. He lost about 75 pounds. He has had some adjustment issues but no real complications.

What I wished I had realized in 1990 was how bad soda's are for you. Soda's are around 200-300 calories per drink. If you had three a day that is around 750 calories! It only takes a few cans of soda a day to put you over your calorie needs and at the end of the year you have gained 20 pounds. Now I did not drink much soda since they made me sick but that extra 200 calories a day adds up regardless if it is from soda, cake, a second hamburger, Supersize fries, etc.

I was not drinking sodas back then but I was drinking OJ, which is just as bad from calorie count wise. Now I drink water for lunch. That one simple change really adds up over time. Saves money too. :lmao

Around 2000 I got this idea into my head and modified my diet. I did Atkins and lost weight but gained some of it back then I started to eat much less. No more going to the cafeteria for lunch. I would go to eat because it was a ritual and I would be hungry in the afternoon. Now I eat nuts and dried fruit at my desk. WHEN I get hungry.

Atkins really taught me that protein and fat fill you up. Carbs just make you eat more and feel sleeping.:rotfl:

I have lost a bit of weight but not much. BUT, I have lost a couple inches of fat. :confused3 Three years ago I bought a new belt and could barely use the second hole. Now I am at the last hole and I am getting close to the need of a new belt or putting in more holes in the belt. :)

It takes YEARS to get overweight. One of the problems for loosing weight is that we want the weight off NOW. This is an unrealistic expectation that causes people to fail. It takes years to add the weight, if you can from a health perspective, take the time to modify how and what you eat, to loose the weight. Even if it takes years.

Later,
Dan

It takes YEARS to get overweight. One of the problems for loosing weight is that we want the weight off NOW. This is an unrealistic expectation that causes people to fail. It takes years to add the weight, if you can from a health perspective, take the time to modify how and what you eat, to loose the weight. Even if it takes years.

Later,
Dan

totally agree!!!

I just wanted to respond to some of the diet and exercise posts with a different perspective. I had my Lap Band procedure June 10, 2010. To date I have lost 62lbs. I started out around 280 and am currently holding steady at 220. I am working on eating right but more importantly going to the gym. I used to say, even thought I was over weight at the time, that all you needed was diet and exercise. I can tell you from experience (Adkins, South Beach, Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig twice and NutriSystem) that for some people diet is not enough. For ME there was no adverse impact for cheating on your diet. So what if I have a soda with dinner? Or eat bread at every meal? I'll make it up tomorrow. We all know that those tomorrows rarely ever come. I will also be the first to admit that I put every bite/sip of bad food in my body. Nobody held a gun to my head, nobody threatened my life if I didn't eat that whole bag of Utz potato chips. However, for ME the adverse impact of cheating on the Lap Band are incentive enough to stick to the plan. It is truly a tool in my weight loss. Lap Band and any other bariatric surgery should be viewed precisely as that, a tool to help you in your weight loss. Believe me it is not a magic bullet, and nobody who has actually had any of these procedures believe that it is magic. However, I can speak for myself when I say that I have little patience for people who don't allow for the surgeries as an option. It doesn't have to be the answer for everyone, but it is the answer for some people. Just my two cents.

I had gastric bypass surgery Feb 23 I was 327 when I started 295 the day of surgery and 237 this am. I had no complications and this has been so helpful. It is still a lot of work, but it puts me in a place where I can succeed I highly recommend it

Just an update 209 this morning:banana:, still working hard.... exercise everyday 30-45 minutes. Gastric bypass has been wonderful for me, absolutely not easy, but makes it manageable long term, where before I could only make it though a diet 30-60 days

I'll update as well.

I had the sleeve gastrectomy on August 2 with no complications. I lost 20lbs on the pre-op liquid diet and hve currently lost 50lbs total. I have had no dumping, or nausea and am back to real food, just much smaller portions and mostly protein.

I am loving how much better I feel. I used to be a heavy breather at night (not quite a snorer, but close). Now my husband says he can't tell if I am even in bed with him since I am so quiet.

Need my asthma inhlaer less and less and am now sleeping 7 1/2 hrs per night instead of 5 hrs (my sore back always woke me early).

I had a goal of losing 50lbs before my next Disney World trip and I DID IT!!!!!

My new goal is to see if I can lose another 20 lbs before Thanksgiving.

Another update here. I had the sleeve on April 12, 2011 so I am coming up on my 6-month surgiversary. As of this morning I have lost 74 pounds with another 51 to my goal. I hope to make my goal by my 1 year post-op date.

I am eating about 900-1000 calories per day with 70+ grams of protein. I always eat protein first followed by a little fruit or vegetable. My go-to snacks are 100 calorie packets of almonds and string cheese. I can now eat about 2/3 cup of food at each meal before my stomach tells me to stop.

I still have no hunger although I do recognize when it is time to eat. I have had ZERO complications. I recently joined a water aerobics class in addition to walking 3 times per week. I would have never done water aerobics at 270 pounds.

Like others have said, WLS is NOT a magic bullet. It is the hardest thing I have ever done. But as a friend of mine who also had WLS recently said to me....."The best thing about this diet is that you can't quit it." Amen to that.
For those who say WLS is the easy weigh out its not true. Trust me I have done it both ways and WLS is much more difficult. Hopefully the payoff is that I will not rebound and regain this weight like I have done twice before.

Donna

I also had the gastric sleeve on 4/5/11. I started out at 277lbs and lost 34 lbs before the surgery. I was 243 the day of the surgery. I am almost 6 month out and I am at 182 (I have lost 61 pounds since the surgery). Doctor wants me between 150-170 with my body build so at most I have 32 to go. I have gone from a size 26 in pants and 3x in tops to a size 14 and a large in tops.

As previous posters have said this is a committment but it is so worth it all.

If anybody has any questions please feel free to PM me and I will try to answer them.

Good Luck!!

OP here!

WOW, I can't believe this thread made a comeback a year later!

I did not have WLS after all. I'm down 30 pounds from a year ago, and I have about 30 more to go before I'm at a "normal" or "healthy" weight. It's been a struggle and I've definitely fallen off the wagon at times, but the overall trend is good. Trying to lose that 30 pounds before we go back to the World in May, but just trying to take it one day at a time.

Good luck to everyone in your goals!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter