Bariatric patient going to WDW food questions

rissa1224

Earning My Ears
I will be at WDW the week of Feb 25th. I am a 1 month post op bariatric patient- will be almost 3 months by the time I go. My surgeon gave me special cards for restaurants if I chose to go, and obviously disney is a huge one! LOL Will the places we go eat take the cards, which explain my stomach only holds 3oz of food and to allow us to order a smaller portion at a reduced price, so I can order from the kids menu or get a kids price for buffets? Its a special diet request card.
We are paying cash (going with Make A Wish who gives us money for food). I can only eat 1/2 c to a cup of food at a time. Why would I pay $15+ for a meal I can have only a few forkfulls of? I hope they will accomodate. Anyone have bariatric surgery and go also?

I went about 4 mos post op. I did not have any cards. I always ordered the children's portions without a problem. Ice water is free at counter service restaurants, and I stayed away from buffets (but I was not traveling with family members or children so this may not be possible for you).

I found that all the weight I had lost pre and post made the parks SO much easier--walking, fitting into ride vehicles, and even walking through crowded restaurants or theater-style seating attractions.

I did bring plenty of Crystal Light for all the water and made sure I always knew where a bathroom was!

I also had access to a kitchenette (I am a DVC member) so I brought my Magic Bullet and had a protein shake for breakfast prior to leaving for the parks.

Please make sure to continue whatever vitamin/calcuim regime you are currently following at home, otherwise you will feel run down with all the extra energy you are expending.

I believe you can communicate with the chefs at any restaurant prior to your departure. Someone from this forum will have the numbers. They can probaby help too.

Good luck!

Information about contacting WDW for special diet information is in post 3 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread. That thread is near the top of this board or you can follow the link in my signature.

As the other poster mentioned, you can order children's meals. At the counter service restaurants, no one will know whether you are ordering it for yourself or another member of your group.
You can also share a meal with another member of your party - they will provide an extra plate. At full service restaurants, you could also order h'ors dourves or something light.

Officially, WDW says that they change by age for buffets; if you are an adult, you pay the adult price. Sometimes, the server may be able to adjust the price, but you need to go in planning to pay the full price in case they will not.

At any counter service you will be able to order from the children's menu. At a table service you can share with your husband. At a buffet or all you can eat family style meal, I would be prepared to pay the adult price (or just skip those).

I had weight loss surgery almost two years ago. I have lost 107 pounds and going to Disney is much easier! I too received the card, but I have never used it. I also rarely order from the kids menu since they usually come with carb loaded sides and not nearly enough protein.

I do often order off the appetizer menu. Shrimp cocktail is a staple. Sometimes I share meals and sometimes I just ask for the meat part of the dish and have them skip the sides. Some times they charge full price, other times they don't, but I feel it all evens out.

Since I can eat so little, I carefully study the menu and pick the item that will be best for me. I ask for that single item and let them charge me what ever. I am just thrilled that I am satisfied with the small portion! I typically avoid buffet meals, but have done Chef Mickeys after surgery. I always pay full price figuring I am paying for the experience I am having with my family as much as the food. Have fun on your trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter