• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Barcelona Hotel Pre-Cruise

Angie_Ohio

Mouseketeer
This is my second time in Barcelona, first with my teen sons. Has anyone stayed at Novotel or Hotel Jazz? We stayed at Apsis Porta Marina last time and are looking for similar accomodations with a close Metro stop or HOHO bus stop. We have three in our party. I am looking to stay around $200 US.

I always stay at the Renaissance Barcelona Hotel--Pau Claris 122(formerly the AC Diplomatic Hotel) when I'm in Barcelona for a DCL cruise. The hotel is within walking distance of most sites and the metro stop is about a block away. The hotel was bought by Marriott last year. The first time I stayed there, I couldn't get a pre-night with DCL(I waited too late) so I booked it myself online and paid about $160 euros. I went through a travle site, so it was a little distressing to not be able to call the hotel until a couple days before I left to make sure my reservation was there. I tried several times prior to the trip, but was told the hotel wouldn't show my reservation until 7 days prior to my arrival. I got the post-night through DCL and have both pre and post-nights through DCL this year. Having to get a taxi from the airport which cost about $30 euros was not fun. The driver didn't speak english, so I was glad that I had the address of the hotel written down.

Cost wise.......is it a better deal to go through DCL for pre-cruise hotel or book it direct through the hotel (we are looking at the Renaissance Marroitt). Thanks for any help.

pennymike said:
Cost wise.......is it a better deal to go through DCL for pre-cruise hotel or book it direct through the hotel (we are looking at the Renaissance Marroitt). Thanks for any help.

If its the Marriott Renaissance near the airport, it's definitely better to book it on your own thru hotel/website. We stayed there both pre and post cruise in 2011 and it was much better on our wallet. They have a "pre-cruise" package that includes breakfast and transport on the day of the cruise. While they don't have a "post-cruise" package, post cruise transport is available (I believe it was only 10euro/person). They offer free transport to/from the airport and to/from Tue base of Las Ramblas for ease of sightseeing.

I stayed at the Novotel Barcelona City in 2010 and it was great. It is further away from the port and downtown but was an easy taxi ride to the port. There is also a shopping center across the street...good place to pick up wine/liquor and water.

HTH

Jill in CO

We are staying at Hotel Jazz for 2 nights before our Med cruise on 7/13/13. I picked this based on recommendations by other DISers who sailed the Med previously and stayed here, and after extensive research over several months on Trip Advisor. I am confident in my decision- great reviews, central location to the airport bus and metro, rooftop pool, free wifi. They have also been extremely helpful and very fast to respond to my many email inquiries asking about how to get there from the airport, taxi to the port, restaurant recommendations, where the nearest grocery is to get some bottled water for the ship, etc.

My friend who has traveled to Barcelona a few times LOVES the Hotel Jazz and highly recommends it.

My brother is going in the Med cruise with us this year picked the Novotel due to its proximity to the tourist area and cheap rates. I think he paid $140/night, tax included, breakfast included.

It seems to me (only from reading the reviews) that the two hotels are very different, with the Novotel being more economical and geared toward families while the Hotel Jazz is a little more upscale.

The Renaissance Marriott is about 30 minutes from the airport and fairly close to the port. I think it is worth the extra money to book pre and post-night hotels through DCL. Book the transfers too. That way you don't have to worry about anything. The Renaissance is $204 a night this year which is cheaper than what I paid when it was the AC Diplomatic.

Something to keep in mind is that you can't purchase the transfer from the airport to the hotel unless you have booked the pre/post-night hotel with DCL. It really all depends on your comfort level. Having done it both ways, I prefer to book with DCL. They take the guess work out of everything and there is a letter waiting for you when you check in telling you what time your transportation will pick you up.

This is where we are staying - Hotel Petit Palace Boqueria Barcelona. In the middle of everything! Very reasonable prices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter