Barcelona Ground Transportation

gatechfan99

Mouseketeer
We're planning on doing the Barcelona round trip Mediterranean Cruise next summer and I'm just thinking through the logistics in the early planning phase. Would appreciate the input from anyone with experience.

I think we'll definitely fly in the day before the cruise and probably fly out the day after. We also are a family of 5 so I'm thinking we would likely need 2 taxis anytime we use that option.

So we essentially need transportation 4 times: airport to hotel, hotel to port, port to hotel, and hotel to airport. What are my best options each time? I think we will probably stay at one of the Disney approved hotels where I've read they offer Disney Transportation to port. Should we just plan taxi every time except use Disney transportation the morning of the cruise from the hotel? Thanks in advance.

We've used sun transfers to get from the airport to the hotel, and the cruise back to the airport. For the hotel to the port, the hotel just called us a taxi. All worked out fine

everything is pretty close, from the tourist area to the ships is real close, I would just take taxis

Definitely do not use the Disney transportation. Taxis are so much cheaper and they are absolutely everywhere. If you are worried about the language barrier you can always pre-print the address of the port/hotel on a slip of paper. There were taxis waiting in a line as soon as you get off the ship.

We were in Barcelona earlier this year for my son's soccer training. We booked transportation from the airport using Barcelona Day Tours. While our driver and car were great, I feel like we got through security faster than expected and ended up waiting around for the driver to arrive (for what felt like forever). We could have just gotten a taxi way easier and way cheaper. On the return to the airport, our hotel arranged a taxi for us the night before and it was waiting for us outside when we came down from our room at 6AM. I'm sure you can get a van taxi for your family from the taxi stand at the airport, or have your hotel request one for you. We are a family of five and are usually able to get a van with no problems. We're also going on a cruise out of Barcelona next summer and we'll likely use taxis then as well.

We too booked a transfer from the airport to the hotel and ship to the airport. Both times we waited on the driver to show up, everything is a bit slower and laid back in European countries to don't expect things to be exactly 'on time'. Hotel to the ship was easy with taxis as we stayed very close to the port.

We used a taxi to get from the Airport to the Hotel (we were a part of 2). We then used Disney Transport to go from the Hotel to the dock and from the dock to the Airport. We would have saved some money if we just did the Taxi for everything. But we don't have any complains on using the Disney transportation.

Psy

On the return to the airport, our hotel arranged a taxi for us the night before and it was waiting for us outside when we came down from our room at 6AM. I'm sure you can get a van taxi for your family from the taxi stand at the airport, or have your hotel request one for you.

We did the exact same thing after our post cruise Barcelona stay. We asked at our hotel desk about getting a taxi for our early morning flight out, and they were able to schedule one for us. It was on time (in fact about 5 minutes early) and we were easily on our way to the airport. If you have to go to the airport mid-day, give yourself a little extra time because traffic can be busy between Barcelona and the airport. At 5:45 am it was an easy trip. I'm sure if you explain your group size they can also make sure the taxi is the mini-van style.

From the port and airport you can just let the "taxi conductor" (the person who stands at the taxi stand area and helps you get the taxi) of your group size and they usually call up the appropriate size taxi. They always asked us our travel party size and then called over the appropriate sized taxi car.

Make sure you do have the address of the place you are headed to, including the hotel. We were staying at a large well known hotel (or so we thought) and our driver didn't know it (or didn't understand us) so we just handed over the paper with the address and then it was no problem.

I think the main concern for the OP is the size of her party. We were there last month, not a cruise. Taxis were very easy, reasonable, and safe for the 3 of us. I don't know if they have larger taxis to accommodate 5. DH used a taxi app or website to call a cab from our apartment to the airport, since we weren't right at a taxi stand. Hotels will have taxi stands. I'll see if I can find out what app/website he used. It might have info about group sizes.

It's called Free Now. I think it's actually an international app. You might see what it can do. He just looked, and it has a Taxi (4 seats) and Taxi Large (5-8 seats) You could also contact your hotel and ask them for advice.

We also took the Metro a lot, so depending upon where you are staying and where you are going, the Metro is great and safe. A T10 card costs about 10.20 Euros and had 10 trips. The card is not tagged to a specific person. I would use it, hand it to DS, and then he would hand it to DH.

Cabify is a Barcelona app. Also Google now offers ride hailing when you ask for directions. I don't know if that's everywhere or just Barcelona.

Hi. We took the train to and from the airport and took a taxi to the port. Both were really easy to do and not expensive.

Thanks a lot for all the input. Sounds like we may just stay away from the Disney Transportation and use taxis and perhaps the Sun Transfers from the airport mentioned above. Are credit cards routinely accepted on taxis in Barcelona or should plan to pay them all with cash?

Most American Credit Cards are accepted (Visa and MasterCard) but always carry enough cab fare for your ride in cash. You never know what they might decide to charge you cash only (machine broke, off books etc). Unless you are fluent in Spanish it's usually easier to just pay up in cash if they ask then to try and communicate as to the reason for the cash request. We've had it happen several times while traveling abroad (not in Spain) where the driver got lost, turned off the fare counter while he tried to find his way (so we were not charged for the wasted time) and then had to charge us in cash to pay the final bill.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter