Barcelona arrival - taxi to airport

mraviator

Earning My Ears
After arriving in Barcelona for the Dover-Barcelona reposition cruise in August, we need to head straight to the airport to catch a flight. Our plan is to be first off the ship with our luggage and catch a taxi.

Are there any "gotchas" we should be aware of in Barcelona? This is typically easy when arriving back in the US, but I'm unsure in Barcelona (non-Schengen to Schengen country, how far to walk for taxi, taxi availability, etc.). I've studied the port maps and see there are7 or more docking spots, so I'm curious if each has its own taxi stands as well, or if there is just one for all docks.

Alternatively, I'm looking at organizing private transfer (at a higher cost than a taxi...), if that is more convenient.

Any info is appreciated!

There will be taxis waiting right outside the cruise terminal. You will have no trouble getting one. It was, at most, a twenty minute ride to the airport.

While, yes, there are taxis waiting right outside (at least this is how it was in 2011!), you may want to prearrange transfers, so you are guaranteed to leave when you need to. This is what we did and I was so happy because the line for taxis was HUGE and I'm sure the line was at least a 45 minutes wait and was growing by the minute. If you can set up transfers (not with Disney, you can get it much cheaper) then you will have peace of mind. That's my 2 cents :)

If you are getting off EARLY and before most everyone else just do the taxi. We prearranged transfers in Barcelona last summer and each time the car service was late and I do mean LATE. Blamed it on traffic blah blah blah. The fact is there is "American time" and "European time" and European time is basically whenever they want to show up. Yes by the time we got off after the second breakfast and go our bags the taxi line was pretty long but it was pretty clear by the time our private transfer arrived. I'm not saying don't do private transfer especially if you have lots of bags etc just make sure you have the phone number of the service so you can confirm as soon as you wake up in port that morning. Be prepared to wait just in case. On taxis, make sure you are clear on how much the taxi ride is and if its per person etc, we didn't pay attention one time and got overcharged but that was my fault for not being more aware. I knew it didn't sound right but whatever. Good luck and enjoy!

Our flight left at 10:35 from Barcelona so we had to get to the airport quickly! We used Sun Transfers and the driver was waiting for us as soon as we got off the ship. It couldn’t have worked out better.

If you are getting off EARLY and before most everyone else just do the taxi. We prearranged transfers in Barcelona last summer and each time the car service was late and I do mean LATE. Blamed it on traffic blah blah blah. The fact is there is "American time" and "European time" and European time is basically whenever they want to show up. Yes by the time we got off after the second breakfast and go our bags the taxi line was pretty long but it was pretty clear by the time our private transfer arrived. I'm not saying don't do private transfer especially if you have lots of bags etc just make sure you have the phone number of the service so you can confirm as soon as you wake up in port that morning. Be prepared to wait just in case. On taxis, make sure you are clear on how much the taxi ride is and if its per person etc, we didn't pay attention one time and got overcharged but that was my fault for not being more aware. I knew it didn't sound right but whatever. Good luck and enjoy!
I agree with this plenty full taxis there we had issues on pre booked cars both sides embarkation 40 mins late and disembarkation an hour late. Whilst fees refunded so we're free I would get a taxi next time. DCL coaches are good and plentiful as a back up.

Just got around to reading the replies here, valuable information. Thank you all!
We do plan on being first (or within first 20) off the ship, so I think we'll wing it with taxis and beat the long lines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter