• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

banana boat ride

We did the banana boat last April. We had the very last run of the day. We also had early seating for dinner. It was quite a sight to see my husband and I trying to hold our water glasses at dinner. Our arms were so strained from holding onto the banana boat that we couldn't keep them still. Our kids thought that this was hilarious. All kidding aside, it was great fun. :goodvibes :goodvibes

makaylee- thanks for the observation- I apprecite it. But reading all these great accounts of the banana boat makes it hard for me to be reasonable about my back! I'm sure when the time comes- I'll cry because I decided to either by pass the ride, or decided to ride and am in pain!!! I noticed you live in Utah. My youngest daughter goes to college at BYU- LOVES it there. You're lucky to be living there- at least that's what she'd say! :p

Does anyone have a phone number to call to reserve the banana boat ride ahead of time? We don't want to wait until we get the ship to book.

I wasn't able to go on the BB on our cruise because someone had to watch the baby, but my DH and about 10 of his cousins went out at the same time on two boats. I could see from shore how much fun they were having. And I can't believe everyone here held on for dear life, the best part is falling off!!!!! My DH would wait until a big bump and then propel himself off. What a blast!!! I wanted a turn!! Anyway, just so you know, DCL does not recommend falling off on purpose, so don't tell them I told you its the best part. ;)

call (800) 951-3532 and do so about 60 days out from your cruise date. i hope this helps

this was great fun.....we had a blast! We plan to it again on our Eastern Cruise in August 04. You should give it a try!

On the last cruise my husbands back started to go and by the end he spent the last two days on the cabin floor. He didn't do the BB ride. My recommendations is that you shouldn't do anything that may compromise even one moment of the trip. :(

I would definately wear swim goggles. :cool:
DD (11) were in the front of the boat and had them on. It wouldn't have been nearly as much fun it I had to keep my eyes closed. Lots of water kicks up when you go over a bump and no way was I letting go to wipe it out of my face

We both has a blast and will do it again next trip.

Hubby says that it is a blast (I am too chicken to try it), but if you are a contact lens wearer, BE CAREFUL!! He let go with one hand to take a photo of the ship, and next thing he knew, he was in the ocean and one of his contact lenses was gone. He had a spare (and now he has had Lasik so it isn't a worry anymore), but he would have spent the rest of the cruise half blind if he didn't.
Barb

Originally posted by inkkognito
Hubby says that it is a blast (I am too chicken to try it), but if you are a contact lens wearer, BE CAREFUL!! He let go with one hand to take a photo of the ship, and next thing he knew, he was in the ocean and one of his contact lenses was gone. He had a spare (and now he has had Lasik so it isn't a worry anymore), but he would have spent the rest of the cruise half blind if he didn't.
Barb

Thanks Barb, now I don't feel so bad losing my glasses!!! LOL!!!

Originally posted by Verandah Man
Thanks Barb, now I don't feel so bad losing my glasses!!! LOL!!!

I want to thank you for posting what happened to you on the Banana Boat ride last year Andy, because thanks to what happened to you (lost your glasses in the ocean when everyone on the ride got dumped into the ocean) I will now definitely pack my old glasses, just in case! :) I felt so bad for you when I read you had another day to go without your glasses, and I know I wouldn't be too happy without mine. But you have such a good attitude about things, you made the best of it, and even gave us all a chuckle when you wrote about walking into the Ladies room at the airport the next day :teeth:

Oh yea, the ladies room adventure :rotfl: something I will never forget!!! LOL!!!

It's a beautiful day here in South Jersey, we have our living room windows open getting some fresh air in the house!!!

Our local Oldies radio station was reporting live from the Wonder and Castaway Cay today, it was the highlight of my day, that's for sure!!!

Hey, no fair! A couple of you are suggesting that people book the banana boat ride twice. I tried to book my daughter twice (once to ride with me, once to ride with dad -- younger daughter wouldn't have been able to go), and they told me it was one to a customer!

What's the scoop?

we took the banana boat ride DW stayed on the beach it was DD and DS and DS we had a great time and plan to do it again on our next cruise just remember to lean in towards the middle oldest DS leaned out and dumped the whole boat everyone on the boat laughed and teased him when they saw him the rest of the cruise

My family and my neighbor's family did this on our cruise, and although it was thrilling, it was a very painful experience. I fell into the middle of the banana boat and hit my neighbor's knee, and my father injured his back and had to be transported back to the ship on a golf cart. It's very fast and very painful on the eyes, with all the water and salt. I was afraid because i couldnt see and i didnt want to fall in the ocean.
I recomend wearing clothes and goggles, and not being afraid of falling into the ocean.

Good luck to anyone that tries it

Your saying... they do give you a life jacket (I'm 20, and NOT the BEST swimmer in the world) I would like to do this....

Does this fill up fast? I mean, can I wait till we board the ship and be ok????

Alos, goggles... can I rent some somewhere????

I'm 'small', so I will try to remember to sit in the middle.. LOL.

Thanks to all the tips from this DIS board my familty did wear goggles. It was not my favorite ride. I have a problem with strength in my left hand and I found it hard to hang on when they were going really fast. I am a bigger person (not huge) and it was uncomfortable for me. I was digging my rings into my husbands back from holding on so tight,. The person behind me kept tapping me to move up.. COME ON,, I had no way to stay put,,lol My kids had fun but liked parasailing better.
Goggles are great though, you can get these at any store for >$5/pair and you must wear a life vest.

AS far as booking,,, what time of yr are you going? they may have avail spots once your there.
Good luck
Doreen

And WHATEVER you do, DO NOT SLATHER ON TOO MUCH LOTION OR OIL!!! :rotfl: I never laughed so hard in my entire life as I did on our banana boat ride! There was a woman next to me who literally kept flying UP into the air because she was too oily!!! She could not hold on at all, and she couldn't stay seated. She kept falling into the middle section of the 2 "bananas" and when we'd grab her hands or arms to help her get back up (it isn't easy to do so), we could feel the oil on her. You definitely need to be able to GRIP TIGHTLY the rope in front of you, that is your only way of holding on. Our ride had to keep stopping every time this woman went flying. I really felt badly for her, but she was a good sport and eventually she just asked them to let her get into the boat with the 2 guys who were dragging us around. Then they had redistribute all of us because they try to distribute everyone's weight evenly on the 2 bananas.

I agree that is it very fast, and thats the fun part, but what can be dangerous is that everyone is bouncing up and down and back and forth, and I was afraid that the woman's head in front of me was going to smack me in the face! You have NO control over where you go (flying off the seat) when they get that boat up to speed. We did have a good time but there's got to be a better way where you can go fast and not feel like you're in the middle of a bad accident waiting to happen. lol I think because this woman kept falling off and they had to keep stopping, our ride wasn't too bad. But when they'd pick up the speed, it was a bit out of control. My older son is 16 and he's a big kid so they moved him up to the very front of one of the bananas and when they hit full speed, the part he was sitting on was literally sticking straight UP into the air, even with his weight on it. He ended up pulling a muscle in his shoulder, but he was OK by that evening (I gave him Advil). I can't believe that more accidents don't happen on that ride. I still have a very mixed opinion about this ride. :yo-yo:

My Dd and I went on the Banana boats at CC.

The view is nice from out where they take you.

But I would agree that shades or goggles are a must.

:cool:

The one thing that I didn't like was that we took one of the last boats out and it seemed like the banana wasn't as filled with air as it should be. We only had five kids on the thing and me. The kids were smaller so I leaned towards the middle the whole time but everytime we slowed the middle started to fill with water and it scared me.

Needless to say I had that white knuckled death lock on the handle. :eek:

Is it fun? yes and no..
Would I do it again? No, but at least I can say that I can scratch that off my things to do in this life list.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter